Speed Training Watch

Kerbing
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I'm starting back o playing rugby this season, but after not having played in 11 months, it's fair to say I don't have much pace. Although I am a prop, I know that a degree of mobility is needed so I want to work on getting my speed up so I can make rucks etc.

What would be the best way to go about getting faster?
MissLightyear
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Plyometrics may be a good place to start?

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/s...lyometrics.htm
MindTheGaps
Badges: 17
Report 8 years ago
Sprints, hill sprints, HIIT, etc. Plyometrics are more advanced and won't help you as much as the basics.

All good for speed and anaerobic fitness (which is probably more important for a prop anyway).
a_t
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Check out part 3 of WS4SB, includes speed training
Cr81g
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
All great suggestions Kerbing, a simple way to improve your agility and mobility is the Dot drill... just Google Dot drill or stick it in YouTube. Also have a look at some SAQ ladder and hurdle work.

Finally... ever wondered why the pros always seem to be able to get to the ruck? That has a lot to do with the fact that they can read the game and position themselves well. Pick a couple of pros that play in your position and watch them during a game. See where they put themselves in relation to other players and the ball.

Hope this helps Craig.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (129)
38.62%
No - but I will (19)
5.69%
No - I don't want to (25)
7.49%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (161)
48.2%

Watched Threads