York Loovers:) Watch

Aydn9
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hi to all of the York lovers out there!

What do you most like about the University of York and the city of York?

Thanks for the comments
Jimbo1234
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Aydn9)
Hi to all of the York lovers out there!

What do you most like about the University of York and the city of York?

Thanks for the comments
Personally I hate the place.
It is great for tourists and is historical, but as for the city being practical......it could not be any worse.
Also the locals are pretty rough or rude, but a few people like York for some reason.
laser
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I like the campus, especially during the summer (particularly around Derwent/Langwith near the lake)
Jimbo1234
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by laser)
I like the campus, especially during the summer (particularly around Derwent/Langwith near the lake)
Really? When the lake is green and stinks of crap and you are trying to avoid all the duck **** everywhere?:confused:
Meadows14
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It's a bloody good university. 66th best in the world for employability (QS)
Aydn9
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jimbo1234)
I personally hate the place.
It is great for tourists and is historical, but as for the city being practical......it could not be any worse.
Also the locals are pretty rough or rude, but a few people like York for some reason.
What do you mean by practical?sorry for my english..
Wezzler
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
i was going to apply here, but the ammount of duck **** , and the fact the campus was a hole put me off.
loonyplatypus
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Nooo, York is lovely
Aydn9
Rep:
?
why do all the people say 'its a mental institute' about York((((
loonyplatypus
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Aydn9)
I've never heard anyone say that before
Jimbo1234
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Aydn9)
What do you mean by practical?sorry for my english..
No problem.
The town is very poorly laid out, the shops are small, and the shop choice is very limited.

(Original post by Aydn9)
Because it is. The amount of crazy people I have seen walking about uni is ridiculous - ranging from the ones that hide in shadows to the OCD nutters who have to touch every pole they walk past.
Aydn9
Rep:
?
(Original post by loonyplatypus)
I've never heard anyone say that before

Paper_planes
Adored and Respected Member

Re: Which university has the nicest and worst campus?
nicestt - UCG (ireland), Exeter is like, as someone else said, tellytubby land, Oxbridge, RoHo, Salford (no really...).

worst - York looks like a 1960's mental institute.

see((
AlexAntiHeroine
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
No problem.
The town is very poorly laid out, the shops are small, and the shop choice is very limited.
I really don't agree with this. When I visited I found it really easy to find my way around because of the town's layout and the fact that there were few cars around. As for the choice of shops, I thought it seemed pretty good. There was basically most of the big shops I could think of (except there was no Primark, I don't think - but who cares?) and loads of cute little individual shops.
Jimbo1234
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by AlexAntiHeroine)
I really don't agree with this. When I visited I found it really easy to find my way around because of the town's layout and the fact that there were few cars around. As for the choice of shops, I thought it seemed pretty good. There was basically most of the big shops I could think of (except there was no Primark, I don't think - but who cares?) and loads of cute little individual shops.
Due to the cities age its layout is hideous (check google maps) and there are quite a few shops missing like Primark as you mentioned. The individual shops serve no purpose for people who live here and are mere tourist traps. Also the age of the buildings means that many can not be modified enough thus many of the bars and clubs are fairly poor.
laser
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Aydn9)
There is a mental institute next to the campus (called The Retreat)

People who think the York campus is ugly have clearly never been to a city Uni - all tall buildings, traffic, pollution and noise. Give me my lake and grass anytime.
ElectronicPanda
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Due to the cities age its layout is hideous (check google maps) and there are quite a few shops missing like Primark as you mentioned. The individual shops serve no purpose for people who live here and are mere tourist traps. Also the age of the buildings means that many can not be modified enough thus many of the bars and clubs are fairly poor.
It's true that not having a primark lets it down a bit, but the independent shops there are great- and not all of them focusing on tourists. They got waitrose FCS!! :woo:

Spoiler:
Show

'The hairy fig' is my favourite shop :tong:
xkatieloux
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
There isn't anything wrong with the layout of the city centre. In fact its quite convenient to get to most places in a short amount of time. And as an Archaeology student I'm there during daytime alone at least 4 times a week so I should know.
OddThings
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I dont go to York University but I have family there and I have went there reguarly since I was a child and I love it.I am a fan of old architecture so York is amazing for that and for the history.I also think the range of shops arent too bad.
Jimbo1234
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by xkatieloux)
There isn't anything wrong with the layout of the city centre. In fact its quite convenient to get to most places in a short amount of time. And as an Archaeology student I'm there during daytime alone at least 4 times a week so I should know.
How are dozens of small winding streets better then one or two large open high streets or a large shopping complex?! :confused:
I think you have no idea what you are on about sorry.

(Original post by ElectronicPanda)
It's true that not having a primark lets it down a bit, but the independent shops there are great- and not all of them focusing on tourists. They got waitrose FCS!! :woo:
But no USC or any decent clothes shops for guys.
AlexAntiHeroine
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
How are dozens of small winding streets better then one or two large open high streets or a large shopping complex?! :confused:
I think you have no idea what you are on about sorry.
Because 99% of towns have a high street or shopping complex, and it's nice when somewhere is a bit different? Because some people don't want a high street that looks like any other in the country and has the same few huge chain stores and nothing else?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of York
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
  • University of York
    Sun, 30 Jun '19
  • University of York
    Sat, 14 Sep '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (264)
38.82%
No - but I will (46)
6.76%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.5%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (319)
46.91%

Watched Threads