Food at Cambridge. Watch

mundanemeddling
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hi,

I'm going to apply to Cambridge in the future and I just wanted to know which college serves the best hall food every day. Or the worst.

Saving that, any good options for dining out (for breakfast, lunch, dinner) nearby?

Food is very, very important to me, evidently.

Thanks!
DaveSimpson
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm at Christ's and we have pretty abysmal upper hall and formal hall food (because it's cheap). I just try and suffer it though because everywhere else you can go to eat is so expensive.
grovichik
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I feel like Catz hall food it rubbish but brunch/breakfast is v good! And formal hall food isn't too bad.

The flying wok chinese take-away delivery is brilliant, as is dominoes :-)) There are lots of nice places to sit out and have a meal e.g. GBK, bella italia, don pasquale (italian), yo sushi, pizza express, pizza hut, ask...the list is v long and there are often vouchers online for these places so it can be pretty cheap! We also have a mcdonalds and a subway as fast-foody type places.
Aristotle's' Disciple
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Wow, judging your college on food?!
mundanemeddling
Rep:
?
(Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple)
Some people choose their colleges based on its reputation for sport, music, drama; why can't food float my boat?
gethsemane342
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by mundanemeddling)
Some people choose their colleges based on its reputation for sport, music, drama; why can't food float my boat?
Good thing you didn't try this test based on open days I'm also at Christ's and i agree with DaveSimpson about the quality of our food. One of my mates applied because of the food. When we asked him why, he said he'd only tried the Open Day food which, admittedly, is quite nice.

(Also, people apply for odd reasons anyway - i know someone who applied to Christ's because it had a circular lawn...)

As for food, i've been told by a Gonville and Caius student that their food is also pretty awful so maybe not go there? I've heard good things about Robinson and Jesus is pretty nice
comrade_jon
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple)
Key part of my own considerations was the positive noises I'd heard about King's and their food. If you assume you're going to eat in hall at least once a day, that's a huge thing to just ignore isn't it?

But yes, I've been in your boat before OP and largely the evidence is anecdotal and scattered, however you will hear quite firmly which colleges do naff food, so if you look at it in terms of which colleges might be worth avoiding instead of which colleges have the 'best' food it may be more beneficial.
grovichik
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I've heard kings is really good! And corpus formal food is yummy :-)
didgeridoo12uk
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
jesus is really good and formal is a fair bit cheaper (and a lot more regular) than most other colleges
overtherainbow
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by grovichik)
I've heard kings is really good! And corpus formal food is yummy :-)
formal is expensive though at kings!!

magdalene normal food is ok (though dont get any veg you dont mind a bit raw) but the formals are generally very good, every day and i think they were/are the cheapest in cambridge at £4.50?

pembroke food has a very good rep and has been fantastic every time I've been as well
Cast.Iron
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Apparently the chips are good at Homerton but other than that, when I asked about food on the Post-Offer Open Day, I was met with a host of uneasy laughs and smiles.

Though apparently formal is rather good.
Will :D
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Clare buttery food is not great everyday, the formal stuff is nice enough and for things like matric. and Boat Club Dinners its delicious. I avoid the everyday food though and just cook myself
If food is a consideration and you may want to cook yourself, check what appliances and stuff there are in the gyp rooms. Some don't have hobs etc.
mundanemeddling
Rep:
?
Ah. Thanks everybody!

(Original post by Will :D)
Clare buttery food is not great everyday, the formal stuff is nice enough and for things like matric. and Boat Club Dinners its delicious. I avoid the everyday food though and just cook myself
If food is a consideration and you may want to cook yourself, check what appliances and stuff there are in the gyp rooms. Some don't have hobs etc.
I see. But cooking every day sounds like a BIG hassle. Do most people cook by themselves there?
ultramarine
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Murray Edwards! Provided that you're a girl of course

we have pretty great food everyday (decent price as well), and our formal halls are awesome
CountDuckula
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Well I hear that Robinson's food was voted the best out of all the colleges (was actually really tempted to apply there purely based on that fact )
Selwyn food is also pretty decent (tried it when staying there for interview). It's not gourmet standard but there's always approx. 5 mains to choose from and portions were sooo large
dd4483
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by ultramarine)
Murray Edwards! Provided that you're a girl of course

we have pretty great food everyday (decent price as well), and our formal halls are awesome
(Original post by CountDuckula)
Well I hear that Robinson's food was voted the best out of all the colleges (was actually really tempted to apply there purely based on that fact )
Selwyn food is also pretty decent (tried it when staying there for interview). It's not gourmet standard but there's always approx. 5 mains to choose from and portions were sooo large
So we can safely assume there is a link between the not-so-good colleges and good food?
jjarvis
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by gethsemane342)

As for food, i've been told by a Gonville and Caius student that their food is also pretty awful so maybe not go there? I've heard good things about Robinson and Jesus is pretty nice
Caius is infamous.
anoushka1
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Ive only tried the food at Jesus and Selwyn( I stayed for a few days for a conference at Jesus and i had my interview at Selwyn(most nervous lunch i ever had though :P))

The food at both was really nice and there was also a nice range of food.
Angela_Beth
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
In my experience, Corpus Christi is pretty good, Gonville and Caius is pretty bad, and Trinity is really nice!
ForGreatJustice
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Peterhouse is variable, but the desserts are usually great if you have a sweet tooth.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 4 Jul '19
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 5 Jul '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (293)
37.61%
No - but I will (56)
7.19%
No - I don't want to (56)
7.19%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (374)
48.01%

Watched Threads