Tricep exercises without "pushing?" Watch

Hood_Man
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hi guys, just thought I'd pick your brains on this one.

I want to increase the strength in my triceps but I was wondering if there were any effective ways of doing so without doing pushups or bench presses, or anything which involves putting a lot of pressure on your wrists?

I know about tricep curls, are there any other effective strength exercises you guys can think of?

p.s. It's basically because of wrist pain (which I've been to the doctor about so don't worry about it). I can do bicep curls no problem, so as long as I don't bend my wrists or put a lot of pressure on them when I'm using weights it's fine. I've got a pretty sturdy wrist brace which takes the pressure off, but as you might imagine it's ineffective when doing anything like a pushup/bench press etc.
Double Agent
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Not sure if it fits your requirements, but I superset tricep pulldowns with tricep dips and it hits them like nothing else i've done.
cowsforsale
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Skullcrushers

Marc908
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Go to the cables, take the attachment off, grip the end of the cable and do 1 arm tricep pulldowns
Powerlifter
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Double Agent)
Not sure if it fits your requirements, but I superset tricep pulldowns with tricep dips and it hits them like nothing else i've done.
A superset should be two opposing muscles so triceps and biceps for example.

Doing the same muscle group simply means you are not hitting it hard with the first movement and is homo.
Double Agent
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Powerlifter)

Doing the same muscle group simply means you are not hitting it hard with the first movement and is homo.
Ah ok, lesson learned
The Blind Monk
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by cowsforsale)
Skullcrushers

Be careful though, many people get elbow issues with this excercise.
HARRY PUTAH
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by The Blind Monk)
Be careful though, many people get elbow issues with this excercise.
eerrr...

if you get injured doing that, its far more likely it is your face and not your elbows/arms that get injured. It is also advised that any weight you put over your face, you should be able to handle it.
The Blind Monk
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The possibility of dropping what you can triceps extend on your face is pretty small. Because you can nearly always get the bar onto your chest, where your delts and chest can assist you in saving yourself. I've never ever seen injure their face with skullcrushers. On the other hand I know plenty of people who have tendinitis from overusing the movement because of the stretch it places on the elbow joint.
cowsforsale
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Aye, skullcrushing with a straight can be quite painful I can imagine. It's like curling with a straight bar.

Ya need a good EZ bar for that shizette I reckon.
I am soapy
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Powerlifter)

Exactly what i think lol. Also... your sig... :coma:
|Sam|
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Hood_Man)

I want to increase the strength in my triceps but I was wondering if there were any effective ways of doing so without doing pushups or bench presses, or anything which involves putting a lot of pressure on your wrists?

I know about tricep curls, are there any other effective strength exercises you guys can think of?

p.s. It's basically because of wrist pain (which I've been to the doctor about so don't worry about it). I can do bicep curls no problem, so as long as I don't bend my wrists or put a lot of pressure on them when I'm using weights it's fine. I've got a pretty sturdy wrist brace which takes the pressure off, but as you might imagine it's ineffective when doing anything like a pushup/bench press etc.
Tricep kickback is a nice movement and you can really feel it if your doing it right:

a_t
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by cowsforsale)
Skullcrushers

These, I do them, very effective
Scrappy-coco
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'd recommend buying wrists supports. Ones designed for weightlifting and more specifically pushing. Simply put, this will help with your bench as well ad allow for pushing tricep movements which are great for growth. I bought a decent pair for £10
SMed
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Hood_Man)

Forget those wrist 'supports'. Get some wrist wraps. http://www.strengthshop.co.uk/sleeve...ist-wraps.html
a_t
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by |Sam|)
Tricep kickback is a nice movement and you can really feel it if your doing it right:

Whenever I see guys at the gym doing this I always visualize them jerking some guy off who's standing behind them

no homo

(Original post by Scrappy-coco)
I'd recommend buying wrists supports. Ones designed for weightlifting and more specifically pushing. Simply put, this will help with your bench as well ad allow for pushing tricep movements which are great for growth. I bought a decent pair for £10
I don't like stuff like this, if you start using supports your wrists are never gonna get any stronger, should just put up with it until they strengthen enough to take the load tbh, doesn't hurt that bad, I've worked through my weak wrists now
miike1234
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by a_t)
Whenever I see guys at the gym doing this I always visualize them jerking some guy off who's standing behind them
Do you often imagine guys in the gym ****ing each other off?
username369234
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by |Sam|)

don't be a fcuking queer
Doughnuts!!
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Quick Q: Are skullcrushers supposed to hurt my wrists? I can only get through 5 reps before my wrists almost completely give out.
19Dan89
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
floor skulls.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (386)
37.22%
No - but I will (80)
7.71%
No - I don't want to (72)
6.94%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (499)
48.12%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed