Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zooropa)
    So ugly people have no confidence and good looking people do?

Good, that's the way it should be.
    What I said can be summarised as follows: People who believe they're ugly often have low-confidence, whether they are good-looking or not and people who believe they're good-looking tend to have a lot of confidence whether they are good-looking or not.

If you were to judge yourself, the opinion would be subjective and rely on your level of self-confidence. If you were to base your judgement on comments made by others, even if it is slightly less subjective, it remains subjective: you choose which comments you want to take seriously, depending on whether you want to convince yourself you're good-looking or not.

Less attractive people constantly get told they're good-looking and even attractive people get told they're ugly, especially in high school where everything is a power struggle.

You get told you're good-looking by some people. You get told you're not so good looking by other people. You base your judgement on who you want to take seriously and that decision depends on your level of self-confidence.

Of course whether you are good-looking or not has a lot to do with it but I'd say self-confidence is more important. I (and I'm sure loads of people notice this) constantly see girls entering beauty contests and I wonder what they're thinking but you can clearly tell they're convinced they're good-looking. In the same way, there are loads of amazingly good-looking girls who are convinced they're plain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamTheMan)
    What I said can be summarised as follows: People who believe they're ugly often have low-confidence, whether they are good-looking or not and people who believe they're good-looking tend to have a lot of confidence whether they are good-looking or not.

If you were to judge yourself, the opinion would be subjective and rely on your level of self-confidence. If you were to base your judgement on comments made by others, even if it is slightly less subjective, it remains subjective: you choose which comments you want to take seriously, depending on whether you want to convince yourself you're good-looking or not.

Less attractive people constantly get told they're good-looking and even attractive people get told they're ugly, especially in high school where everything is a power struggle.

You get told you're good-looking by some people. You get told you're not so good looking by other people. You base your judgement on who you want to take seriously and that decision depends on your level of self-confidence.

Of course whether you are good-looking or not has a lot to do with it but I'd say self-confidence is more important. I (and I'm sure loads of people notice this) constantly see girls entering beauty contests and I wonder what they're thinking but you can clearly tell they're convinced they're good-looking. In the same way, there are loads of amazingly good-looking girls who are convinced they're plain.
    So true. Every word of it.

ReputationRep:
    I consider myself good looking for a fat bloke.

Hope that helps?

ReputationRep:
    Above average, but no Brad Pitt.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.