1900 people at a wedding Watch

Hopple
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
A couple are to have a wedding this year and are set to invite 1900 guests with more than half being 'family and friends'. Apart from the obvious question of why would you invite anyone other than 'family and friends' (invite a broody enemy to be a bridesmaid perhaps), how many people is reasonable for a wedding?

The couple in question used to share a house through their university lives, so are likely to have a large overlap in their friendship groups. Also, it is well known that the groom's family are inbred, so there aren't that many of them. This leaves the vast majority of over 950 of the guests as the bride's 'family and friends'. If they weren't to have shared a house, then it is likely that the guest list would be either far higher, or the groom wouldn't know anybody at his own wedding. Is this right?

Also, if you had to invite 800 extra people to your wedding that weren't 'family and friends', who would you invite?
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Hopple)
A couple are to have a wedding this year and are set to invite 1900 guests with more than half being 'family and friends'. Apart from the obvious question of why would you invite anyone other than 'family and friends' (invite a broody enemy to be a bridesmaid perhaps), how many people is reasonable for a wedding?

You have to invite the uncle who made the offensive speech at the last family gathering.

The couple in question used to share a house through their university lives, so are likely to have a large overlap in their friendship groups. Also, it is well known that the groom's family are inbred, so there aren't that many of them.
On the contrary, great great great great granny had nine children and most of them had largish families and they exchange Christmas cards (and minor provinces) with most of the cousins. There was a family tiff between 1914-18 but most of that has been repaired.

This leaves the vast majority of over 950 of the guests as the bride's 'family and friends'. If they weren't to have shared a house, then it is likely that the guest list would be either far higher, or the groom wouldn't know anybody at his own wedding. Is this right?
Also, if you had to invite 800 extra people to your wedding that weren't 'family and friends', who would you invite?

A short Frenchman with an exhibitionist Italian wife
Aristotle's' Disciple
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
That's tiny.
infernalcradle
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Have you been to asian weddings...

you could probbably invite 1900 if all you invited were the aunts/uncles/cousins of just one side
humble_bumble
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Why would you want anyone other than your family and friends at your own wedding? I'd rather invite the people who actually want me to have a lovely wedding, rather than the ones who just come for free food
Neofytos
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by infernalcradle)

you could probbably invite 1900 if all you invited were the aunts/uncles/cousins of just one side
that made ma laughed
infernalcradle
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by humble_bumble)
Why would you want anyone other than your family and friends at your own wedding? I'd rather invite the people who actually want me to have a lovely wedding, rather than the ones who just come for free food
oh please...the only reason ANYONE outside parents are there is for the free food...

*and the possibility of getting a few numbers *
thunder_chunky
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
That's small compared to Greek weddings, espcially in the smaller coastal towns where although it might not be a case of everyone knowing the bride and groom or their families, they still turn up anyway.
And it's not like there is ever a shortage of food and booze at the weddings too.
L i b
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Why would you want anyone other than your family and friends at your own wedding?
Because it's a state occasion. Royal weddings are more than just private weddings, they're a celebration of gaining a future Queen and, presumably, securing the Royal line.
nulli tertius
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by thunder_chunky)
That's small compared to Greek weddings
What makes you think it isn't a Greek wedding. The groom's grandmother married a Greek sailor and his godfather is a Greek refugee.
ellie-wellie
Report 8 years ago
Well, it's Kate and Will isn't it? So all sorts of officials from other countries who they feel they have to invite for like political reasons and all sorts.
You really can't compare the Royal Wedding to normal people.

Also, it is well known that the groom's family are inbred, so there aren't that many of them.
Also, what they hell?!
thunder_chunky
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by nulli tertius)
What makes you think it isn't a Greek wedding. The groom's grandmother married a Greek sailor and his godfather is a Greek refugee.
It's not a Greek wedding.
Drunk Punx
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You'd need a lot of cocktail sausages and mini-samosas.
RK
  • TSR Community Staff
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I don't see anything wrong with having 1900 people at a Royal wedding. It's a big occasion, not just nationally, but internationally.

As for who the non-family and friends who will be there - it's a state occasion and so heads of Government and other top political people will be there. Even if you limit it to countries where the Royal couple will be future heads of state you're already talking of hundreds of people when you consider the UK and all the Commonwealth countries. Others are members of the public who have connections with William through charity work.

It's basically a time of unity, not only the two families involved, but as a state occasion it's a unity of different groups within the country and between different countries and representatives from all these groups and organisations will be there to represent that.

Plus they have a big church to fill. It'd be a shame if it was mostly empty...

I thought this was about just an ordinary couple? Not the royal couple? O.o
You obviously didn't follow the link nor have been paying attention to the news today :p:
Warrior King
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Also I'm bemused as to why a certain US President and his lovely wife have been snubbed an invite. To be honest the whole thing is a joke. The Royal Family is an outdated, socially elitist, institutionally racist, inbred institution totally incompatible with a modern, progressive and forward-thinking society.

I'd just go for the food to be honest and just incase one of them has cold feet, it'd be funny to watch.
thunder_chunky
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Also, it is well known that the groom's family are inbred, so there aren't that many of them.
:lol: Sure, if you take off all their makeup they look like this:

Warrior King
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
And where's my invite?
humble_bumble
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by RK)

You obviously didn't follow the link nor have been paying attention to the news today :p:
oh dear God. Woops. Yeah I forgot to look at the link and just noticed. Ignore me :P
ShinyT
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by infernalcradle)

LOL, but this is true though, just one side can be alot, besides, every older person is like an aunt or uncle for us, even though their just like friends or family friends.
Kalliope
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
1900 people and they can't add in the Obamas? Honestly!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (291)
37.6%
No - but I will (54)
6.98%
No - I don't want to (56)
7.24%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (373)
48.19%

Watched Threads