The Student Room Group

Is communism really bad?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MLL
No, CIA aren't the authority on ideology, but I would label them as a rather credible source.

By the narrow definition of communism, like you previously explained, then no. No country has ever applied the full definition of the ideology in practice, hence it is impossible to judge whether it works or not. - In that sense, you are right.

However, China and North Korea have political parties that label themselves as communistic, hence I believe it would be fair to judge their implementation of the communistic ideology. - And given their "versions" of communism, I'd say it doesn't work.

Yes. But just the pure fact that it's a PARTY that's communistic, and that there's a state at all, and that possession seems to be with the state not with the people... It's really not like communism at all in the sense that it's supposed to be.
So yes, their versions don't work... But that's because everyone ISN'T equal in their societies, there isn't common ownership (everything's owned by the state in that sense), and there is still a major authroity forcing everything on people. It's not really like communism is supposed to be at all. :/
Reply 361
Original post by MLL
No, CIA aren't the authority on ideology, but I would label them as a rather credible source.

The CIA are generally a propaganda tool when it comes to 'communism'. They're calling the brutal Chinese, North Korean, etc. dictatorships 'communist' to bury communism as an ideology. Thus, people accept the USSR and Stalin was communist and don't actually look into the actual ideology. Because they don't look into the ideology, they can't start believing in communism and seeking to overthrow those in power (the CIA of course being one of those power organs).

Judging by how lots in this thread believe the USSR and such were communist, the propaganda (as described above) has been very effective.

However, China and North Korea have political parties that label themselves as communistic, hence I believe it would be fair to judge their implementation of the communistic ideology. - And given their "versions" of communism, I'd say it doesn't work.

Their versions of communism - especially modern China - have almost nothing to do with Marx and communism whatsoever. Sure, they call themselves communist, but East Germany called itself democratic ('Deutsche Demokratische Republik') - that didn't make it democratic or a standard by which to judge democracy as a political system, did it.
Reply 362
Communism might work one day, but at the moment human nature is not compatible with it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending