The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

University of Leeds Accomodation 2011

I couldn't find this thread anywhere else so here it is!

Anyone who has got their offer from Leeds and is looking at accomodation talk to us on here! we can hopefully find some students already in the halls to give us some advice and answer our questions, and we can discuss where we're thinking of applying to, and find other people going to the same places :tongue:

I'm looking at Devonshire Hall myself, it looks amazing :smile: Where's everyone else thinking of?

Em x

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
dude, im an international medic going in this year too. i booked concept place due to it's proximity to the med school. (so i dont have to piss myself and wake up 2 hours before classes).
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
Original post by Isaacchan
dude, im an international medic going in this year too. i booked concept place due to it's proximity to the med school. (so i dont have to piss myself and wake up 2 hours before classes).

I've not heard of that one! Its not on the accomodation page, whats it like? I've had my letter from Leeds but they haven't put it through on UCAS track yet so I can't actually send the application for accomodation off yet :s-smilie: You've got a long way to travel! :smile: Whats singapore like?
Em xx
Reply 3
Original post by emilymay
I've not heard of that one! Its not on the accomodation page, whats it like? I've had my letter from Leeds but they haven't put it through on UCAS track yet so I can't actually send the application for accomodation off yet :s-smilie: You've got a long way to travel! :smile: Whats singapore like?
Em xx

hey Em.

Concept Place is run by UNITE. It's £92 a week, ensuite, non catered, according to Iso is a 10 min walk to med school. from google maps they say it's a mile's walk to worseley building. Normally I'm very walk- averse (Singapore's temperature often go up to 35C-extremely humid too), but I think a mile walk with Leeds weather would be pleasant?

I am a gap year applicant, so I'm registered with the university already, and I can send off my application with Leeds. just going to apply to see what I can get :smile:

If i hadn't booked concept, i'd have looked alot harder at Sentinel Towers, £100, run by Leeds, ensuite non catered. But probably not a good choice for you as ST is populated by nerdy internationals like me (haha) and serious postgrads.

In fact my age is closer to the postgrads so I might relate better to them :X (21 this year)

Singapore is great! used to be a brit colony back in the 50s and 60s. real hot and humid but everything else is cool.

see you come september!
Reply 4
Original post by Isaacchan
hey Em.

Concept Place is run by UNITE. It's £92 a week, ensuite, non catered, according to Iso is a 10 min walk to med school. from google maps they say it's a mile's walk to worseley building. Normally I'm very walk- averse (Singapore's temperature often go up to 35C-extremely humid too), but I think a mile walk with Leeds weather would be pleasant?

I am a gap year applicant, so I'm registered with the university already, and I can send off my application with Leeds. just going to apply to see what I can get :smile:

If i hadn't booked concept, i'd have looked alot harder at Sentinel Towers, £100, run by Leeds, ensuite non catered. But probably not a good choice for you as ST is populated by nerdy internationals like me (haha) and serious postgrads.

In fact my age is closer to the postgrads so I might relate better to them :X (21 this year)

Singapore is great! used to be a brit colony back in the 50s and 60s. real hot and humid but everything else is cool.

see you come september!

Ohh right I see! :biggrin: I think I did look at it a little bit thinking back but settled for Halls instead. I'm a gap year applicant too but I was rejected last year so I'm a reapplicant. Haha I think Devonshire sounds lik my sort of scene tbh :smile: It's also a mile away from the uni so shouldn't be too bad. And in terms of weather, if you've got a mile walk I'd reccomend a decent umbrella, and a warm waterproof coat. It might not be 35C in the North East of England, but it has its own issues :tongue: it rains a lot, and the cold is a sharp one that goes straight through you. It can also be really windy, so when it's cold and wet and windy, the umbrellas not going to do much for you, so warm waterproof coat is definately required :tongue:
Reply 5
Ohh right I see! :biggrin: I think I did look at it a little bit thinking back but settled for Halls instead. I'm a gap year applicant too but I was rejected last year so I'm a reapplicant. Haha I think Devonshire sounds lik my sort of scene tbh :smile: It's also a mile away from the uni so shouldn't be too bad. And in terms of weather, if you've got a mile walk I'd reccomend a decent umbrella, and a warm waterproof coat. It might not be 35C in the North East of England, but it has its own issues :tongue: it rains a lot, and the cold is a sharp one that goes straight through you. It can also be really windy, so when it's cold and wet and windy, the umbrellas not going to do much for you, so warm waterproof coat is definately required :tongue:

hey em, thanks for the heads up. I've heard england's famous for her gloomy weather :X . over here in singapore, when it rains it pours, when its hot it's....just...really, really hot. haha.

Looks like i'm going to have to bring my army jacket along with me :wink:
Reply 6
I've got my condiditonal offer for september to do Primary Teaching, Im sooo excited ! Not sure about accomodation yet, i dont mind about a en-suite or anything, im a simple girl !
Reply 7
I couldn't find this thread anywhere else so here it is!

Anyone who has got their offer from Leeds and is looking at accomodation talk to us on here! we can hopefully find some students already in the halls to give us some advice and answer our questions, and we can discuss where we're thinking of applying to, and find other people going to the same places :tongue:

I'm looking at Devonshire Hall myself, it looks amazing :smile: Where's everyone else thinking of?

Em x

Thats because there are a ton of threads in the Leeds forum. Go check it out :smile:
Devonshire looks pretty but I was put off by its reputation for being full of Rahs and the fact you can't have private parties there.
Reply 8
Definitely Dev for me.
I'm in North Hill Court atm if anyone wants any info/pictures then I'm here to help! :smile:
I've got an unconditional for medicine at Leeds :biggrin: .. Have no idea what accommodation to go for though. I want an en-suite but I can't decide about catered/self catered and campus/ off campus. Campus would be cool I guess unless the social scene is better off campus? And does anyone know what the catered food is like at leeds?
Reply 11
Original post by butterflyeffect1
I've got an unconditional for medicine at Leeds :biggrin: .. Have no idea what accommodation to go for though. I want an en-suite but I can't decide about catered/self catered and campus/ off campus. Campus would be cool I guess unless the social scene is better off campus? And does anyone know what the catered food is like at leeds?

Woo me too! :biggrin: Can't wait to see you there! My worry with campus is that everything would always be really busy, and that you don't have any distance between you and work. You're right in the centre. Plus if you got used to that it'd be even harder when you had to move out to student houses in the 2nd year. It'd be a massive change. I don't know whether the social scene would be better, but if I was on campus I probably wouldn't spend much time in my halls personally, I'd always be off round campus so maybe I wouldn't build up the friendships or the 'community spirit'. I've never heard the on campus ones talk about community spirit tbh. It's always the off campus accomodation that say they're very close like a big family kind of thing.
In terms of food I'm an alright cook and pretty sure I could do it cheaper myself than the catered plan, and I'd rather eat what and when I wanted rather than be tied to a menu and meal times. But everyones different, depends on whether you want to cook and shop, and stuff :smile: I've heard the catered food varies where ever you go. And the ones I have heard about I hear different things from different people so I guess it just depends on your tastes. I want to know that if you're self catered, and some of your friends are catered, can you go buy a meal in the catered area with normal money if you wanted to sit and eat with them? Or is that not allowed do you think?
Which ones do you like that you've looked at? Are you going on the 26th March to look around?
Em
Dev is the "rah" hall, Bodington is just what unlucky people get because its ridiculously hard to get to (although theyll say its fine), places like lupton and james bailie are okay, cause headingley is nice, but still too far out for me. Im in Charles Morris, its about 3 minutes from the med school, about 30 seconds from the union and apart from the opals etc its one of the closest into town.

Only thing id reccomend next year is dont get catered. The refectory is awful quality (apart from friday fish and chips) and the meal card you get gives you completely random times (you cant get lunch even though the refectory itself is open).

Ensuite is a luxury, if you cant afford it, shared bathrooms are no biggie (having experience in qmul and kcl). It does equate to about a grand a year.

Id always reccomend an on campus hall, but thats probably just because im so used to being able to roll out of bed at 8:57 and make it to lectures on time.
Woop see you there! Is Leeds your first choice? And what accommodation are you wanting to go to at the moment? I'm really not sure at the moment which halls I want to go to.

Yeah true, but for my first year it would be pretty cool to just walk a few minutes to lectures :biggrin:, as apposed to getting the bus every day.. And I think the 'community' feeling will be better in the off campus ones too. I can cook too it's just with our workload it would be nice not to have to worry about meals for the first year.

I stayed at my friends recently and I could by food at the refectory on campus which is where his catered halls provided the meals so yeah you can if you want :smile:

I can't make the visit day but I'm going up a few days before to see my mate again so I will check a few out then.
I have just spoken to my friend at leeds, and he knows someone who says in rush hour the journey from campus to boddington can take an hour!
Reply 15
I got my offer from leeds last month its my first choice, and like others I'm not sure what accommodation to go for, but I really want ensuite and self-catered. I'm looking at James Baillie and Clarence dock at the moment......anybody for any advice on either of those?

Also, I got to see a room at henry price on the open day I went to.......shame the bathroom is more like a cupboard.....that you share.... :/ which put me right off it.
my boyfriend was at lupton last year, and compared to accommodation ive saw at other unis ive applied to, lupton is sooo nice for the price! but then its a half hour walk to uni, which i dont think is that bad, tho i guess it can get annoying in the winter.
Reply 17
Original post by outlaw-torn
I'm in North Hill Court atm if anyone wants any info/pictures then I'm here to help! :smile:

I'm thinking about applying to North Hill Court, it sounds a reasonable price and distance from campus, could you tell me what it's like there please?
Original post by mad_margo
I'm thinking about applying to North Hill Court, it sounds a reasonable price and distance from campus, could you tell me what it's like there please?

Hey! Yeah it's such a good price for the standard of accomodation. I mean, it's obviously not gonna be the poshest :tongue: but it's everything you need for a nice, decent, standard flat. You share with 3 others - it's usually 2 guys and 2 girls in a flat. Shared kitchen and bathroom. Rooms 1,2 and 3 in a flat are huge and 4 is kind of like mediocre! Room 1 even has a balcony!

It's halfway between Headingley and uni
- 20/25 minute walk to uni campus
- 15 minute walk to Sainsburys and all the other shops in Headingley

In a nice quiet area, but it's quite a sociable halls because everyone knows everyone - there's only about 80 of us so your pretty much mates with anyone.

Anything else? :smile:
Hey i'm thinking about Ellerslie Hall, has anyone heard anything about it? :smile:

Latest