The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 99 Red Balloons
Sorry for a stupid question, but how do you decide who gets their first choice? Is it simply randomly picking people or do you base it around their preferences?

Not a stupid question at all. Basically, we assign 8 attributes to every room; 4 mandatory and 4 discretionary. Of all the people who have picked a particular residence, the computer system then tries to find the best match for those attributes. We will reassess the attributes throughout the allocation process to make sure we've got it right (so, for example, if we find that we have lots of space still at Lupton but there are still people who want Lupton and we see that they all want single sex, we would reassign a flat to be single sex)
Hope that makes sense - it is quite complicated.
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Original post by accomoffice
Not a stupid question at all. Basically, we assign 8 attributes to every room; 4 mandatory and 4 discretionary. Of all the people who have picked a particular residence, the computer system then tries to find the best match for those attributes. We will reassess the attributes throughout the allocation process to make sure we've got it right (so, for example, if we find that we have lots of space still at Lupton but there are still people who want Lupton and we see that they all want single sex, we would reassign a flat to be single sex)

Thanks for that :smile: Sounds a good way of doing it!
Last year, the places that had more people applying than there were places available were, in order:
North Hill Court (mainly because it's only small)
Henry Price
James Baillie Park
Devonshire
Ellerslie
Opal 3
Leodis

The places that had more places available than people applying were, in order (the residence with the most places compared to the people first):
The Tannery
Small Residences
Bod self-catered
Lupton
Bod catered

Everywhere else had more or less the right number of people applying.

BUT, that can change from year to year (applications received so far this year suggest that James Baillie is the most popular) and also there may be quirks that mean that someone doesn't get their preferred place even if it's a "break even" place (for example, if loads more girls than boys applied to a particular residence, we probably wouldn't put them all there because we would want to try and keep the residence balanced in line with the gender mix of students at the uni)

Probably too long a response - sorry :redface:

Very much loved the response and it's very informative. Appreciate the reply :smile:
Reply 183
Anyone definitely going to the open day?
Reply 184

Does the time of application matter? (If done by the end of April) and what are the chances of getting into Leodis?
Original post by dmz
Does the time of application matter? (If done by the end of April) and what are the chances of getting into Leodis?

Every application that we get before July 1 stands an equal chance of getting their preference.
Leodis is one of the oversubscribed ones but not as oversubscribed as e.g. Henry Price. So your chances are reasonable but there will definitely be some people who want Leodis who can't get it.
Does anyone know when Leeds freshers starts?
Reply 187
Original post by T-Toe
Mee! It looks awesome :smile:

i agree! and the prices seem reasonable. I'm going to have a look at it on the accomodation viewing day. you looking forward to starting?
Reply 188
Every application that we get before July 1 stands an equal chance of getting their preference.
Leodis is one of the oversubscribed ones but not as oversubscribed as e.g. Henry Price. So your chances are reasonable but there will definitely be some people who want Leodis who can't get it.

Ha i see. Thanks. How about Clarence dock?
Original post by dmz
How about Clarence dock?

Clarence is more a "break-even" - pretty much everyone who put that down as their preference last year got it. Of course, we don't know what numbers will be like this year and also, there is always going to be a small number of people with specific requirements who we can't fit in there.
Reply 190
Original post by lalala1
i agree! and the prices seem reasonable. I'm going to have a look at it on the accomodation viewing day. you looking forward to starting?

Yeah, I didn't realise we out put in anything between 9:30-4 so I think I will go, it'll be a good day out :smile: When will you arrive at the uni? You live in London?
Reply 191
Clarence is more a "break-even" - pretty much everyone who put that down as their preference last year got it. Of course, we don't know what numbers will be like this year and also, there is always going to be a small number of people with specific requirements who we can't fit in there.

one last question. Been told you get a lot of international in leodis which means some bits are not very social. Is that true?
Reply 192

You going to the accommodation open day dmz?
Reply 193
Original post by T-Toe
You going to the accommodation open day dmz?

:yep: are you? What accommodation are you looking at?
Reply 194
Original post by dmz
:yep: are you? What accommodation are you looking at?

Yeah, it should be a good day out :smile:

I'm taking a look at Clearance Dock/Lupton/Oxley/Devonshire.

You?
Reply 195
Original post by T-Toe
Yeah, it should be a good day out :smile:

I'm taking a look at Clearance Dock/Lupton/Oxley/Devonshire.

You?

I'm slightly worried about the people I'll end up with (sociable or not and gender) cos i realised my course is going to have quite a lot of male! :sad: lol.
I'm looking at leodis, Clarence dock, James bailie, Maybe devonshire.
Reply 196
Original post by dmz
I'm slightly worried about the people I'll end up with (sociable or not and gender) cos i realised my course is going to have quite a lot of male! :sad: lol.
I'm looking at leodis, Clarence dock, James bailie, Maybe devonshire.

Why? Erm don't take this the wrong way but are you a girl/boy?? :colondollar:

Clarence Dock is my first choice so I'm hoping the accommodation day will just confirm that, do you have to travel far? It's a 5 hour trip for me -_-
Reply 197
Original post by T-Toe
Why? Erm don't take this the wrong way but are you a girl/boy?? :colondollar:

Clarence Dock is my first choice so I'm hoping the accommodation day will just confirm that, do you have to travel far? It's a 5 hour trip for me -_-

a boy, :lol: not a womanizer but i don't want to be stuck with just dudes, lol. Anything else i say will just be me digging myself a hole. Lol

it recently became my first :smile: leodis in close second. :awesome: that's a long way! I live in Manchester so it's about 50mins. I hope it doesn't mean regular visits from my parents, lol
It's still both undergrad and postgrad and will be a mix of people from the different institutions. We only had a 2 year deal with them and that's now ended - nothing dodgy about it.
You can book with them direct - the only thing I would say is that, particularly if you only have a conditional offer, make sure you check the cancellation conditions. The new Leeds arena is being built next door but Opal assured us that the noise wouldn't be a problem.

I'm not comfortable renting accommodation outside of those linked with the university website as ordinarily students only use those links when choosing. While I could have a fantastic place to live, I could end up with few people to enjoy it with.

Thanks for the info! :smile:

Original post by Prose Before Hoes
That's pretty much how I felt! I feel like Leeds is a suitable distance from home (2 hours enough so the parents won't want to visit often :wink:) the new facilities such as the gym and pool are fantastic as well as the amazing student union. Plus, the guys who gave the lecture on my course seemed so enthusiastic about it and were amazingly funny, unlike the complete sleep-inducers at other universities :biggrin:

Yea, I thread swapped you :wink:. Now for the accommo choices! I'm dying to feel like I'm living in the city and attending classes at the university rather than being on campus living (although Henry Price appeals to me). I definitely can not be any further out than the actual university. I'm in love with Opal 3 ;( (I think).
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by dmz
Anyone definitely going to the open day?

I'm definitely going, I'm going by myself so I'm scared in case i get lost and see no accommodation at all haha :colondollar:

Latest