The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2220
Original post by FloRaRa
Well I only got in second time round, so not too impressive! Tannery looks amazing though, was definitely my second choice (though completely different to dev in every way).
I just wanted to be near Hyde Park area, and also I already have so many friends who were at dev this year so I have stayed there quite a few times already and fell in love!

How much longer do you reckon we will have to wait then??

i didn't get in 2nd time, think its my GCSE's, i'll have fun in the meantime. Think i'll wait till my 2nd year to head down there

Hopefully this week! We should be one of the first :smile:
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2221
Original post by Snurse
good choice :biggrin: I only considered the ones they suggested did you look at the others too? Hopefully when everyone leaves and we're still at uni they'll be lots of us so we dont get lonely! x

well i was really indecisive at first i was going with bodington originally but my friends brother is a student at leeds and said to me that its wayyyyy far out the way from the uni. He said that the best place to be is around or in headingley for a really active student social life and to be able to access uni easily so i went with Lupton. :biggrin:
I did call up the accomodation line and they suggested Lupton aswell because they put alot of nursing students into that accomodation so like you said hopefully we will all be together while everyone has abandoned us to go home :frown: xxx
Reply 2222
Original post by Muffinz
Loads of us have :biggrin: I've applied there and I'm gonna study English Lang and Lit :smile:

Awesome. I heard its meant to be quite a lively residence which im looking forward to :smile: Are you into the kind of social aspect of it all or are you not bothered completely where you are aslong as you have somewhere to live ? xx
Reply 2223
Original post by sr90
Did many people move in during the week, or did you struggle to find anyone until Saturday? Trying to decide if i should move in asap (14th) or wait until Friday night (16th).

I can't move in on the weekend as Saturday is football day(followed my team around the country for years). As we're away in Sheffield that day, there is no point in me going back home and coming back on the Sunday - i'll be far too knackered to go out and to be honest, i don't want to be the last person in my flat to move in.

On the plus side, at least i'll avoid the mad rush. :smile:

Yeah i did as well, i'm suprised just how many of us there are on here!

Wow theres alot of us that have applied to lupton residence on this forum. What are you studying ? :biggrin:
Reply 2224
Original post by Mazvydas
Hello everybody, I am coming to study at University of Leeds and need an accommodation. It seems that I waited too long, since the deadline of registering at university guaranteed accommodation was four days ago.

However, I contacted the support and it seems they will still help me to get a place, so my question would be what are the most sociable, affordable, self-catered places to consider ?

I know this may be asked a quadrillion times before, but I would like to know about the current situation. :biggrin:

I was in the exact same position as you, I had no clue where to start looking at first. After doing my research I came to the conclusion that Lupton is the cheapest/most affordable, social residence and it is in the town of Headingley where Ive been told is the "place to be" for all students. Hope this has helped :biggrin:
Reply 2225
Original post by Mask Of Sanity
Medical history type form really - past and present conditions you may have had, injection history, all of that lark.

You will be. :nopity:

Hey there, I know what questionaire your on about haha dont worry. Im going to study Adult Nursing Degree and ive got to complete it too :s. The deadline for the form is 16th july for it to be completed online. Hope this has helped you abit further :smile: x
Reply 2226
Original post by PINCHJOY
I was in the exact same position as you, I had no clue where to start looking at first. After doing my research I came to the conclusion that Lupton is the cheapest/most affordable, social residence and it is in the town of Headingley where Ive been told is the "place to be" for all students. Hope this has helped :biggrin:

Thanks, I've told the support my first priority is Lupton. Hopefully I will get there, seems like a fine place to live. :biggrin:
Original post by dmz
Oh sweet, doesn't sound bad at all then if you manage to survive the winters. I've been working 3 jobs, but i'm on a gap year, for the past 4 weeks i've averaged about 66 hours a week, 72 hours next week unless i give away some shifts so tryna save up enough to stay drunk for a while :wink:, Haha i've gone for the tannery which is a 4ft bed as well :tongue:, decent price and close to town, don't think i#d like o live on campus or have a catered hall. I've got my fingers crossed for you, hahaha heart attack? gosh you really want it bad :tongue:,. Erm i need AAB i think, i got an unconditional offer, got rejected for medicine so i turned down my other offers and applied for something else through extra and i got an offer two weeks later :smile: need to look a little more into my course but it seems like good fun so far. My pleasure :h:, are you going to email them?

So which course will you be taking now? :smile: I will email them if I haven't heard anything by the end of tomorrow. That way, they should have more than enough time to send me an answer before the weekend. I get the results from the Norwegian unis next Wednesday, so I should at least get an answer before that. They might say that they can't give me a final answer before they have viewed the A-level results though. If that is the case, I would have to either say no to the Norwegian unis, and just hope to be lucky as hell and get in. Or I will take the offers there, if I still don't know about Leeds by the 26th. I might just say yes to NTNU and then later wriggle my way out of it somehow, if Leeds eventually (more like miraculously) accepts me :biggrin: What's it like where you live btw? and how old where you again? same as me? I'm probably the typical scandinavian person, tall and blue eyed, except that my hair is dark brown. Haha I really wish I was a little shorter, seeing as I am 1.77m.... :tongue: do you do any sports or other stuff? I have been doing dressage riding for about 11 years, and my other part time job is as a riding teacher/working at the stables.... :smile: *yells at herself for not getting a 6 in HL bio* :mad:
Original post by PINCHJOY
Wow theres alot of us that have applied to lupton residence on this forum. What are you studying ? :biggrin:

History, you?

Yeah i'm suprised how many of us there are on here - Lupton isn't one of the most popular choices. Hope i've done enough to get in... so excited at the thought of moving up and gettign started!

I'm not that familar with Leeds as a city but my friend who has just graduated says its very similiar to Manchester where i used to live, which is a ****ing awesome city. I hope she is right :biggrin:

What grades did u need to meet ur offer?
I was speaking to a guy at work today who's graduated from Bradford - he said he used to go to Leeds on nights out. He said it was brilliant :biggrin:
Original post by Muffinz
I was speaking to a guy at work today who's graduated from Bradford - he said he used to go to Leeds on nights out. He said it was brilliant :biggrin:

I've heard that it has one of the best social/nightlife scenes in the country :biggrin: I'll be looking for the good pubs. :cool:
Reply 2231
Original post by pepperkake92
So which course will you be taking now? :smile: I will email them if I haven't heard anything by the end of tomorrow. That way, they should have more than enough time to send me an answer before the weekend. I get the results from the Norwegian unis next Wednesday, so I should at least get an answer before that. They might say that they can't give me a final answer before they have viewed the A-level results though. If that is the case, I would have to either say no to the Norwegian unis, and just hope to be lucky as hell and get in. Or I will take the offers there, if I still don't know about Leeds by the 26th. I might just say yes to NTNU and then later wriggle my way out of it somehow, if Leeds eventually (more like miraculously) accepts me :biggrin: What's it like where you live btw? and how old where you again? same as me? I'm probably the typical scandinavian person, tall and blue eyed, except that my hair is dark brown. Haha I really wish I was a little shorter, seeing as I am 1.77m.... :tongue: do you do any sports or other stuff? I have been doing dressage riding for about 11 years, and my other part time job is as a riding teacher/working at the stables.... :smile: *yells at herself for not getting a 6 in HL bio* :mad:

Doing medical engineering :smile:, if you can wriggle out of saying yes to the norwegian uni might be a better option assuming it doesn't affect anything else, but hopefully leeds get back on time with a positive reply, . Erm, it rains a lot, lol, i live in manchester which has a pretty good night life as well but really can't wait for leeds, seems to be the place to really be a student. It's a pretty good look :wink:, think i'm about same height as you, I'm 5'10, not sure what that is and the typical black, slightly muscly :tongue:, dark hair, brown eyes, wish i was a little bit taller :frown: lol, but im still taller than most girls so hopefully im fine. Yer, i did athletics on a national level but had to drop it for studies cos dad kept nagging, i like playing basketball as well, and football, just starting to learn tennis now cos it seems to be the new thing. Wow, never really been on a horse, but 11 years? must be pretty good by now. I work in a money transfer and 2 other jobs as a care assisstant. Aw, it happens long as you get in and then get great grades at the end of uni it should be alright hopefully :biggrin:
Just got my IB results the other day, and I kind of want to cry : / I got 33 points, when I was predicted 37, and that just suuuucks! Especially because I got a 5 in HL bio, when I am applying for Biology.... I am only one point short to meet the conditions for my offer (if I had that 6 in HL bio I would be going to Leeds!).... I really want to hope that they are nice, and let me slip through, but I guess not, when they specifically said that I needed 34 points and a 6 in HL bio... I thought my bio exam went really well though, and the best student in my class also got a 5 in HL and she was aiming at places such as oxford and edinburgh etc... so we are thinking about getting the bio-papers remarked, but I don't think it will make any difference... : (

aww pepperkake92, sorry to hear about that :frown:
i got the feeling you'd be going leeds in september. but you have to try regardless of your result. have you contacted leeds? what's the situation?
one mark is sooooo annoying! i could understand if you were well off and they didn't accept you but one mark??!! you could still have a good chance. don't give up yet!
i hope you get good news soon :smile:

p.s. i pm'd you my previous reply.
Original post by Bella Occhi
I've heard that it has one of the best social/nightlife scenes in the country :biggrin: I'll be looking for the good pubs. :cool:

:smile: He also said as long as you start looking for work at Fresher's week you'll be fine... that's taken a weight off my shoulders!
Original post by dmz
Doing medical engineering :smile:, if you can wriggle out of saying yes to the norwegian uni might be a better option assuming it doesn't affect anything else, but hopefully leeds get back on time with a positive reply, . Erm, it rains a lot, lol, i live in manchester which has a pretty good night life as well but really can't wait for leeds, seems to be the place to really be a student. It's a pretty good look :wink:, think i'm about same height as you, I'm 5'10, not sure what that is and the typical black, slightly muscly :tongue:, dark hair, brown eyes, wish i was a little bit taller :frown: lol, but im still taller than most girls so hopefully im fine. Yer, i did athletics on a national level but had to drop it for studies cos dad kept nagging, i like playing basketball as well, and football, just starting to learn tennis now cos it seems to be the new thing. Wow, never really been on a horse, but 11 years? must be pretty good by now. I work in a money transfer and 2 other jobs as a care assisstant. Aw, it happens long as you get in and then get great grades at the end of uni it should be alright hopefully :biggrin:

Haha yes, I am quite tall for a girl, even for living in Norway, but most guys are taller than me, as the average height of guys here is 6ft (1.80)... :tongue: Wow you sound really... umm athletic (and you are not short xD). I was also thinking about doing tennis, it is getting really popular here too + I need to exercise more. Haha never been on a horse? It is fun, you should try it! I haven't had my own horse though, so it has been a lot of borrowing to be able to compete and so on, not that I have had so much time to train and compete the last couple of years! At the moment I am training some younger horses, and one of them threw me into a wall. I was ok, and it was too funny seeing the mark left on the wall afterwards, as it was in the indoor arena where the walls are all dusty and stuff... You could really see a human shape on the wall xD I even took a picture of it hahaha.... The IB and my two part time jobs kind of stopped me from having much of a social life as well, but I was hoping on catching up a little, when starting uni (even though I probably would be spending a great deal of time studying there too!):tongue: My mother is the one nagging me, + she is scared to death of horses, so I have had to earn all the money for that stuff alone. And well, horseriding isn't excactly cheap! :tongue: Oh wow, I am just rambling on and on :tongue: It's nice talking to someone going to Leeds though, it has kind of gotten me in a better mood again, after my post-exam-depression xD :biggrin: Oh and I sent them an email today, I just couldn't wait any longer.... I pretty much asked if I could still have any hope of getting in, or if I should just drop the idea straight away (of course only in a more formal manner) xD .....
Original post by HappyMeal
i got the feeling you'd be going leeds in september. but you have to try regardless of your result. have you contacted leeds? what's the situation?
one mark is sooooo annoying! i could understand if you were well off and they didn't accept you but one mark??!! you could still have a good chance. don't give up yet!

Aww thanks, you are all so nice :redface: I just sent them an email today where I explained the situation. I said that I was fully aware that i didn't meet the conditions for my offer, but that I was only one point away, and that I was really hoping that they would still consider me, if there was any available spaces left on the course. I also explained something about the Norwegian deadlines, as I need to give my answer to the Norwegian unis before the 26th of July, which puts me in a difficult situation. I mean, they might want to wait to give me a final decision before viewing the A-level results, but those aren't out until the middle of August or something.... I also managed to squeeze in the fact that Leeds was my first choice, and that I would love to study there! Which is 100% true! Of course I wrote this in a more formal way and so on, but you get the picture.... :wink: I also said that I was an INTERNATIONAL student, without making it sound like I was hoping they would accept me because of the money (even though I kind of hope that matters at least a little bit to them :colone: ) They have answered my previous questions very fast, so I will keep you posted on any progress, whether it is good or bad news:wink: And yes it totally SUCKS that I was 1 point away! And thank you so much again! I really just want to go there more and more, as not only the uni, but the people going there seems great! :biggrin: *Hugs from Norway*
Original post by HappyMeal

Guess who is going to Leeds?!:biggrin: ME!:biggrin: Yay!:biggrin: I just sent them an email yesterday, and today I received the answer: Dear Marie. Thank you for your recent email. I am pleased to be able to tell you that we have accepted you onto the Biology course with the IB results you have obtained..... :biggrin: OMG I am ACTUALLY GOING! My heart skipped like three beats, and I jumped around my room for a good 10 minutes, reading the email over and over again. THANK YOU, for telling me that I still had a chance so that I contacted them! It was really, really worth it ! "I am now pleased to be able to tell you that" I will be seeing you this fall! In Leeds! :biggrin: *still running around my room while writing this* :colondollar: hahaha
Reply 2237
Haha yes, I am quite tall for a girl, even for living in Norway, but most guys are taller than me, as the average height of guys here is 6ft (1.80)... :tongue: Wow you sound really... umm athletic (and you are not short xD). I was also thinking about doing tennis, it is getting really popular here too + I need to exercise more. Haha never been on a horse? It is fun, you should try it! I haven't had my own horse though, so it has been a lot of borrowing to be able to compete and so on, not that I have had so much time to train and compete the last couple of years! At the moment I am training some younger horses, and one of them threw me into a wall. I was ok, and it was too funny seeing the mark left on the wall afterwards, as it was in the indoor arena where the walls are all dusty and stuff... You could really see a human shape on the wall xD I even took a picture of it hahaha.... The IB and my two part time jobs kind of stopped me from having much of a social life as well, but I was hoping on catching up a little, when starting uni (even though I probably would be spending a great deal of time studying there too!):tongue: My mother is the one nagging me, + she is scared to death of horses, so I have had to earn all the money for that stuff alone. And well, horseriding isn't excactly cheap! :tongue: Oh wow, I am just rambling on and on :tongue: It's nice talking to someone going to Leeds though, it has kind of gotten me in a better mood again, after my post-exam-depression xD :biggrin: Oh and I sent them an email today, I just couldn't wait any longer.... I pretty much asked if I could still have any hope of getting in, or if I should just drop the idea straight away (of course only in a more formal manner) xD .....

It's becoming an attractive feature, long as im taller :tongue:, wow, wish i was 6ft :awesome: but i became the tallest in my family since i was 14 so i blame the parents, haha you could say, this year i took out, i've only worked and ate so i've put on like 2 stones, though it's not fat i'm not too fit, but i'l hopefully get fit before uni :smile:. Bought some rackets today and beat my brothers :d we all suck at it though, that much is clear, lol. :rofl: that must have really hurt, you didn't get any marks? :laugh: :console:. Most of my friends went to uni anyway so i just threw everything into work after lying around for 5months but hopefully i have enough to live relatively comfortably in uni. I'm scared of most animals and height, and a horse throws you around so it'd take quite a bit to get me on one but im always up for new things so probably wouldn't turn down the chance. Aw, it's cute, lol, but yer i know what you mean, gonna be pretty awesome getting to know lots of new people, a bit nervous i'll have to pretend to get on with a lot of people, cos usually i can get on with lots of people but it's not everyone i can totally be myself with if that makes any sense

Read your other post now and Congratz! :biggrin:
Reply 2238
Guess who is going to Leeds?!:biggrin: ME!:biggrin: Yay!:biggrin: I just sent them an email yesterday, and today I received the answer: Dear Marie. Thank you for your recent email. I am pleased to be able to tell you that we have accepted you onto the Biology course with the IB results you have obtained..... :biggrin: OMG I am ACTUALLY GOING! My heart skipped like three beats, and I jumped around my room for a good 10 minutes, reading the email over and over again. THANK YOU, for telling me that I still had a chance so that I contacted them! It was really, really worth it ! "I am now pleased to be able to tell you that" I will be seeing you this fall! In Leeds! :biggrin: *still running around my room while writing this* :colondollar: hahaha

:woo: :party: well done :laugh:
Original post by dmz
:woo: :party: well done :laugh:

Aww thanks, love the smilies :biggrin: And no, I wasn't hurt from the fall, except for the fact that my knee looked more like a basketball than a knee afterwards. But it returned to its normal self quickly, so no worries x ) Now I only have to worry about accomodation, which is what this thread was actually about :tongue: I applied well before the deadline to Charles Morris building, Storm Jameson court,catered and ensuite... My mother was all nono about me living somewhere off campus, as she had read a little bit too much about high crime-rates, rape and so on xD haha well I guess it is normal for a parent to worry when their kids are moving, especially to another country :wink: I heard the food at uni is really bad (of course I heard this after I applied for catered). Is that true? I'll probably survive, but I am a very picky eater, and I am actually quite good at cooking xD I just felt that it would be easier when thinking about time, and controlling how much money I use on food, to choose catered. Ahh, if it sucks I'll just apply for something else next year. Right now I am just so happy to have gotten in, that I couldn't care less if they stuffed me into a closet with one of the teletubbies... (Yes, cause I am extremely affraid of the teletubbies, especially that horrible, slurping vacuum cleaner, Noo Noo, or whatever his name is.... SCARY AS HELL! :eek: )

Latest