The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2240
Original post by pepperkake92
Aww thanks, love the smilies :biggrin: And no, I wasn't hurt from the fall, except for the fact that my knee looked more like a basketball than a knee afterwards. But it returned to its normal self quickly, so no worries x ) Now I only have to worry about accomodation, which is what this thread was actually about :tongue: I applied well before the deadline to Charles Morris building, Storm Jameson court,catered and ensuite... My mother was all nono about me living somewhere off campus, as she had read a little bit too much about high crime-rates, rape and so on xD haha well I guess it is normal for a parent to worry when their kids are moving, especially to another country :wink: I heard the food at uni is really bad (of course I heard this after I applied for catered). Is that true? I'll probably survive, but I am a very picky eater, and I am actually quite good at cooking xD I just felt that it would be easier when thinking about time, and controlling how much money I use on food, to choose catered. Ahh, if it sucks I'll just apply for something else next year. Right now I am just so happy to have gotten in, that I couldn't care less if they stuffed me into a closet with one of the teletubbies... (Yes, cause I am extremely affraid of the teletubbies, especially that horrible, slurping vacuum cleaner, Noo Noo, or whatever his name is.... SCARY AS HELL! :eek: )

sounds pretty painful but a bit funny, sorry lol. I have no idea what the food is like but if you're a good cook, you'd probably be better of catered, think you're gonna be allowed to cook still if you want to, i'm sure time won't be a problem, my course is meant to be hard and i get 3 days off as it stands, might be a little less later, my dad wanted me to live on campus but i don't intend on asking for money for uni from him so he doesn't get a say. Haha aw, don't think my parents worry much about me getting raped, :P don't think it's as bad as manchester and i've never seen proper crime in my 8yrs here other than petty things in high school. Next year i'll most likely share a house with friends, hopefully i'd have made some decent ones :smile:. Hahaha you make me laugh
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2241
Guess who is going to Leeds?!:biggrin: ME!:biggrin: Yay!:biggrin:

Congratulations, pepperkake92. Since you are so happy right now, promise us that on the first night out in Leeds drinks will be on you :biggrin: haha, just joking. Anyway, it is nice to see that Leeds is compliant and understanding to their upcoming students. :smile:
Original post by Mazvydas
Congratulations, pepperkake92. Since you are so happy right now, promise us that on the first night out in Leeds drinks will be on you :biggrin: haha, just joking. Anyway, it is nice to see that Leeds is compliant and understanding to their upcoming students. :smile:

Haha thanks, and I would have loved to buy you all drinks, even though I am not sure my wallet agrees xD Which course have you applied for (or which course are you on, if you go there already)? I am doing the Biology C100 course, and hope to be staying at Storm Jameson, Charles Morris building :smile: :smile: Does anyone have any idea of when I should be getting answers of where I will be staying ? :smile:
Reply 2243
Haha thanks, and I would have loved to buy you all drinks, even though I am not sure my wallet agrees xD Which course have you applied for (or which course are you on, if you go there already)? I am doing the Biology C100 course, and hope to be staying at Storm Jameson, Charles Morris building :smile: :smile: Does anyone have any idea of when I should be getting answers of where I will be staying ? :smile:

If you're unconditional, then you should hear sometime this month. If you're conditional, the you won't hear until after A-Level results day in August.

I realise you've probably already said whether you're conditional or unconditional, but I cba to check.

EDIT: Just reread your post and realised you are unconditional, congratulations. :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Guess who is going to Leeds?!:biggrin: ME!:biggrin: Yay!:biggrin: I just sent them an email yesterday, and today I received the answer: Dear Marie. Thank you for your recent email. I am pleased to be able to tell you that we have accepted you onto the Biology course with the IB results you have obtained..... :biggrin: OMG I am ACTUALLY GOING! My heart skipped like three beats, and I jumped around my room for a good 10 minutes, reading the email over and over again. THANK YOU, for telling me that I still had a chance so that I contacted them! It was really, really worth it ! "I am now pleased to be able to tell you that" I will be seeing you this fall! In Leeds! :biggrin: *still running around my room while writing this* :colondollar: hahaha

Congratulations :smile: wow, they got back to you really fast! I emailed them my grades on Friday (I don't do A levels so have to send my results to the Uni myself to get my place confirmed) and I'm still waiting for a reply :frown:
Reply 2245

I've applied to 'Mechatronics and Robotics' (may sound sci-fi, but it is actually something between mechanical and electronics engineering) :biggrin:

I was asked to get 80% in 3 exams at A level and score 6 in IELTS, but I took 4 exams and got 89, 88, 82, 87 with 7.5 in IELTS. So they should not reject me. :biggrin: The only downside for me is that I applied for accommodation after the deadline, thus I will know about it only in early September. :/

P.S. My first priority is Lupton. :smile:
Guess who is going to Leeds?!:biggrin: ME!:biggrin: Yay!:biggrin: I just sent them an email yesterday, and today I received the answer: Dear Marie. Thank you for your recent email. I am pleased to be able to tell you that we have accepted you onto the Biology course with the IB results you have obtained..... :biggrin: OMG I am ACTUALLY GOING! My heart skipped like three beats, and I jumped around my room for a good 10 minutes, reading the email over and over again. THANK YOU, for telling me that I still had a chance so that I contacted them! It was really, really worth it ! "I am now pleased to be able to tell you that" I will be seeing you this fall! In Leeds! :biggrin: *still running around my room while writing this* :colondollar: hahaha

Congrats!! :biggrin: I haven't talked to you I don't think, but I have been vaguely following the conversation in the Leeds threads, I'm so happy for you :biggrin: Hopefully see you there! :dance:
Original post by girlwithsharpteeth
Congratulations :smile: wow, they got back to you really fast! I emailed them my grades on Friday (I don't do A levels so have to send my results to the Uni myself to get my place confirmed) and I'm still waiting for a reply :frown:

Yes, they have actually been very good at giving me fast replies. I have sent them some emails before, about some forms etc that I had to fill out, and about subject requirements , and they have always gotten back to me within 1-2 days :smile: I did tell them that I needed a somewhat quick answer, as I would need to answer norwegian unis soon though, so that might be the reason they replied so soon. Did you get the results you needed to meet your conditional offer :smile: ? If so, you shouldn't worry, and if you were a little off, they might be nice to you too, and let you in! I was 1 point short to meet my offer, and they still accepted me :smile: Which course are you aiming at ? :smile: Good luck, hope to be seeing you in september :smile:
I've applied to 'Mechatronics and Robotics' (may sound sci-fi, but it is actually something between mechanical and electronics engineering) :biggrin:

I was asked to get 80% in 3 exams at A level and score 6 in IELTS, but I took 4 exams and got 89, 88, 82, 87 with 7.5 in IELTS. So they should not reject me. :biggrin: The only downside for me is that I applied for accommodation after the deadline, thus I will know about it only in early September. :/

P.S. My first priority is Lupton. :smile:

Wow, that's great! You should definitely get in then! :biggrin: Lupton seems extremely popular, as I see that most people in this forum have applied there! Hope you get to stay where you wanted, even though you applied a little after the deadline :biggrin: I like science subjects, even though I am actually better at languages xD Therefore I felt that biology was the perfect choice for me, as it is science, but not with too difficult maths involved xD I did take difficult maths though, and well I passed it, so I am not a complete math idiot, I just don't like maths much xD Also I do get to practice my language skills, as English is not my first language. I took English as an A2 language at the IB though, and got a 6, so I think I should be able to at least understand the lectures and what people are saying xD Ah I actually have more writing errors in Norwegian than I do in English now, having done the IB for the last two years xD I still got a 7 in Norwegian A1 though, but I think that's because Norwegian teachers are nice. We have more of a friendly relationship with our teachers, and call them by their first names, write them text messages, are friends with them on facebook etc. There is no mr., ms, mrs, and so on, so that's going to be a little strange for me when going to Leeds xD and here I am rambling on again:colondollar: Good luck and good summer! :biggrin:
Yes, they have actually been very good at giving me fast replies. I have sent them some emails before, about some forms etc that I had to fill out, and about subject requirements , and they have always gotten back to me within 1-2 days :smile: I did tell them that I needed a somewhat quick answer, as I would need to answer norwegian unis soon though, so that might be the reason they replied so soon. Did you get the results you needed to meet your conditional offer :smile: ? If so, you shouldn't worry, and if you were a little off, they might be nice to you too, and let you in! I was 1 point short to meet my offer, and they still accepted me :smile: Which course are you aiming at ? :smile: Good luck, hope to be seeing you in september :smile:

I met my offer but I need to sort some things out once my offer is unconditional (I will be working in a hospital as part of my course). I'll be studying Cardiology :smile: can't wait! Hopefully see you there, we may even have some classes together, who knows :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Bella Occhi
Congrats!! :biggrin: I haven't talked to you I don't think, but I have been vaguely following the conversation in the Leeds threads, I'm so happy for you :biggrin: Hopefully see you there! :dance:

Yeah, I have been writing a lot of posts in this forum the last couple of days, so I wouldn't be surprised if you have seen some of them :colondollar: It has been quite a journey, and to finally be able to say that I am going, is just unreal! What have you applied to? And do you know if you have gotten in yet? :smile:
Reply 2251
We have more of a friendly relationship with our teachers, and call them by their first names, write them text messages, are friends with them on facebook etc. There is no mr., ms, mrs, and so on, so that's going to be a little strange for me when going to Leeds xD and here I am rambling on again:colondollar: Good luck and good summer! :biggrin:

Yeah, I've been to Norway with an exchange program and saw the close-relationship based education myself. It is really nice :biggrin: I hope English educational system will not differ that much from the Scandinavian one, since it I find it to be very motivating :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Yeah, I've been to Norway with an exchange program and saw the close-relationship based education myself. It is really nice :biggrin: I hope English educational system will not differ that much from the Scandinavian one, since it I find it to be very motivating :biggrin:

Oh cool, where in Norway were you? I like the fact that you can talk normally to your teachers, but it is actually turning into quite a problem over here, as students kind of expect to be able to say almost anything to their teachers without a reaction. The lack of respect means that a lot students hand in papers and assignments late, just cause they know that the teachers will accept it anyway. And there are a lot of noise in the classes etc. So in some ways, strict teachers are a good thing, but there should be a balance :wink: As I chose the IB, there weren't exactly any opportunities to hand in assignments late as there are deadlines aaaaaall the f-ing time, and if you don't meet them it means NO diploma for you! xD Would you mind telling me your first name btw? Mine is Marie, so the english people shouldn't have too much of a problem with that xD Even though I say it completely different from the english way of saying it ;P
Reply 2253
Oh cool, where in Norway were you? I like the fact that you can talk normally to your teachers, but it is actually turning into quite a problem over here, as students kind of expect to be able to say almost anything to their teachers without a reaction. The lack of respect means that a lot students hand in papers and assignments late, just cause they know that the teachers will accept it anyway. And there are a lot of noise in the classes etc. So in some ways, strict teachers are a good thing, but there should be a balance :wink: As I chose the IB, there weren't exactly any opportunities to hand in assignments late as there are deadlines aaaaaall the f-ing time, and if you don't meet them it means NO diploma for you! xD Would you mind telling me your first name btw? Mine is Marie, so the english people shouldn't have too much of a problem with that xD Even though I say it completely different from the english way of saying it ;P

I've been to Trondheim, 'Byåsen Videregående Skole' to be exact. Well, actually my name is "Mazvydas", the same as my user name. It does not have any equivalent in English, at least as far as I know. We will have to think some cool new nickname for me, because it may be hard for foreigners to pronounce my real one :biggrin: Nice to meet you, Marie :wink:
I've been to Trondheim, 'Byåsen Videregående Skole' to be exact. Well, actually my name is "Mazvydas", the same as my user name. It does not have any equivalent in English, at least as far as I know. We will have to think some cool new nickname for me, because it may be hard for foreigners to pronounce my real one :biggrin: Nice to meet you, Marie :wink:

Nice to meet you too :wink: heh, I guess they will have some problems with that name, but it would be fun to see or rather HEAR them try xD Where are you from? If I think about it, it sounds a little eastern-european-ish :tongue: I might be missing the mark here though xD haha, my school has had a lot of exchange students, and it is always fun to meet people from other places. Kind of tired of Norway now, so I think some change will be good for me :smile:
Reply 2255
Nice to meet you too :wink: heh, I guess they will have some problems with that name, but it would be fun to see or rather HEAR them try xD Where are you from? If I think about it, it sounds a little eastern-european-ish :tongue: I might be missing the mark here though xD haha, my school has had a lot of exchange students, and it is always fun to meet people from other places. Kind of tired of Norway now, so I think some change will be good for me :smile:

Yeah, I am from Lithuania, so it is eastern Europe (even though it is somehow considered to be the geographical midpoint of Europe). :biggrin:
Yeah, I am from Lithuania, so it is eastern Europe (even though it is somehow considered to be the geographical midpoint of Europe). :biggrin:

Norway is not the midpoint of anything xD hahaha, it has the point in europe which is farthest north though, not that THAT is a good thing at all :tongue: Ah, but I guess Norway has many good things about it too, it's just that I want to see something new you know :smile: Always fun to travel and discover new places :biggrin:
Reply 2257
Norway is not the midpoint of anything xD hahaha, it has the point in europe which is farthest north though, not that THAT is a good thing at all :tongue: Ah, but I guess Norway has many good things about it too, it's just that I want to see something new you know :smile: Always fun to travel and discover new places :biggrin:

Yeah, I feel quite the same. :wink:
Reply 2258
Hey! Which accomodation have you guys applied for and course? Hopefully i'll be doing Biology in September! :smile:

:five:
marie i'm SO HAPPY FOR YOU, congrats!!!!!
even though i don't know you i just had a feeling you'd make it :smile:
aw you're welcome but well done you!
and will see you in septemberrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOHOO LEEDS! :biggrin:
also, we will hear about accommodation in the next three weeks eek!

Latest