The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1660
Original post by Georgiiaa92
ah well my offer wont change to unconditional until august so i wouldn't have had 1st choice anyways! yeah my friend who's at leeds now says everyone who put clarence down got in, but you never know, there might be more (or less) people applying for it. 2 people i know got put into the tannery and it wasnt their first choice, so im guessing they had quite a few spaces left

my friend moved out after two weeks. Tannery's not very popular yet but it's really practical for me and i can get back home easily while wasted :tongue: just hope I'm not stuck with people who are upset about not getting first choice. I finish my a levels last yr, wish I'd gone to Leeds instead of wasting a yr trying to do medicine. No regrets tho :biggrin:
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Original post by dmz
my friend moved out after two weeks. Tannery's not very popular yet but it's really practical for me and i can get back home easily while wasted :tongue: just hope I'm not stuck with people who are upset about not getting first choice. I finish my a levels last yr, wish I'd gone to Leeds instead of wasting a yr trying to do medicine. No regrets tho :biggrin:

i was gonna put the tannery down but it was a bit expensive and i only get the minimum loan/no grant. i agree it is practical, short walk to uni and town centre.
yeh i did my a levels last year but had to resit 1 module in january
Reply 1662
i was gonna put the tannery down but it was a bit expensive and i only get the minimum loan/no grant. i agree it is practical, short walk to uni and town centre.
yeh i did my a levels last year but had to resit 1 module in january

Ha right, I'm getting minimum as well but i started working 3months ago so hopefully should be okay, gonna need somewhere cheap next year. Also if you get a bus pass, CD ends up being just £2 cheaper end of the month. What did your friend who got put their think of it?I've got an exam in 2weeks, it's for 1500 tho not part of my condition tho but i cba studying so i've failed that already :tongue:
Original post by dmz
Ha right, I'm getting minimum as well but i started working 3months ago so hopefully should be okay, gonna need somewhere cheap next year. Also if you get a bus pass, CD ends up being just £2 cheaper end of the month. What did your friend who got put their think of it?I've got an exam in 2weeks, it's for 1500 tho not part of my condition tho but i cba studying so i've failed that already :tongue:

ah cool, wish I qualified for the scholarship! I wont be getting a bus pass, I despise public transport, I walked to school every day for 7 years anyways so it's not too much of a problem. my friend that's there now never gets the bus, so it should be alright. I don't really think it matters where you end up really, I know people who live in clarence, tannery, north hill court, bodington and lupton, and they all love it!
Reply 1664
ah cool, wish I qualified for the scholarship! I wont be getting a bus pass, I despise public transport, I walked to school every day for 7 years anyways so it's not too much of a problem. my friend that's there now never gets the bus, so it should be alright. I don't really think it matters where you end up really, I know people who live in clarence, tannery, north hill court, bodington and lupton, and they all love it!

that's fine then :smile: long as you're with nice people, sounds like you have an established group of friends already. I know someone in JB, CD(don't know too well really), north hill, st. Marks and lupton but I'll be avoiding them all :tongue: love new starts. Maybe not the one in lupton tho she's pretty hot :wink: :lol: what course are you doing? It's an engineering scholarship but i won't get it at this rate tbh
Original post by dmz
that's fine then :smile: long as you're with nice people, sounds like you have an established group of friends already. I know someone in JB, CD(don't know too well really), north hill, st. Marks and lupton but I'll be avoiding them all :tongue: love new starts. Maybe not the one in lupton tho she's pretty hot :wink: :lol: what course are you doing? It's an engineering scholarship but i won't get it at this rate tbh

haha, well i don't really see most of them, just one, who i've been friends with since primary school so hopefully i'll be seeing her. i'm doing sports science and physiology, they do the same scholarship for that course too (well, its for all courses in the faculty of biological sciences) but i only have A*BB
Reply 1666
haha, well i don't really see most of them, just one, who i've been friends with since primary school so hopefully i'll be seeing her. i'm doing sports science and physiology, they do the same scholarship for that course too (well, its for all courses in the faculty of biological sciences) but i only have A*BB

:lol: the one at st. Marks was close friends with me and my ex and was always trying to touch her :eyebrow: needless to say things got a bit creepy, lol. Oh nice, what did you get an A* in? I had AABB (10 ums off a*aab - I'm going to be saying that for the rest of my life now, in my cv and everything :cry: lol) i don't get involved much in that faculty till my 3rd and 4th year. Doing medical engineering
Original post by dmz
yer, and the whole being on the toilet to shower sounded weird, don't like a wet toilet AT ALL, lol.
I had a friend in CD who moved out last year so usually you end up sharing with 3 other people, also saw 3 other girls from college there on accommodation open day who were the party type tho one of them is snobby so should defo be fine for social aspect. That's not too bad i guess, but with the tannery i can walk 10mins into clubs :tongue:

Yeah thats true! I think i'll be happy with this choice i feel better now ive actually changed it cause CD was my favorite to start with :smile:! Oh thats good means you wont have to get the bus/taxi home! :biggrin:
AHHH, im so exicted!!
Reply 1668
Original post by PhilosophyIsMyGame
Yeah thats true! I think i'll be happy with this choice i feel better now ive actually changed it cause CD was my favorite to start with :smile:! Oh thats good means you wont have to get the bus/taxi home! :biggrin:
AHHH, im so exicted!!

love your energy :tongue:
Who's applied to Devonshire? Any fellow BA English lang & literature students by any chance? Really liking the look of it but haven't visited, just seems so oversubscribed :frown: xxx
Original post by MagicNMedicine
Google street view round the Clarence Dock area is a bit out of date, some of the streets look like building sites because the pictures were taken while it was in construction.

Clarence Dock is about 10 min walk, maybe slightly less, to the city centre round where the train station and Cockpit are so you're pretty close to the bars on Call Lane down there.

From there its about 5 min walk to Millennium Square which is like the mid point of the city and where they have the big TV screen and in the winter they put the German market up at Christmas and the ice rink in February. There are a lot of other bars and clubs around there.

Millennium Square is just round the corner from Leeds General Infirmary which basically backs on to the back of campus where the sports centre and swimming pool are, so say another 3-5 min from the square to campus. Campus itself is about a 5-10 minute walk from one end to the other. So the walk from Clarence Dock feels considerably shorter if you are going in to uni to go to the sports centre or have a lecture in Roger Stevens building where a lot of lectures are, than if you are in the Business School which is right the other side.

I would not worry about the distance from Clarence Dock, it seems like you guys are all stressing about the buses and distance and so on. If I was going to live in halls in Leeds next year (I WISH) and was going to Clarence Dock I wouldn't bother with a bus pass I'd just walk it and get buses occasionally if I was knackered or it was chucking it down. The most important thing location wise IMO is proximity to shops which is where Lupton and Clarence Dock are winners because they have supermarkets right outside.

Muahahahaaa, thanks for that MagicNMedicine :wink:
Reply 1671
Original post by girlwithsharpteeth
Muahahahaaa, thanks for that MagicNMedicine :wink:

lol, but he's left for yrs! Ask emeleh, she lives there now :tongue:
Original post by dmz
lol, but he's left for yrs! Ask emeleh, she lives there now :tongue:

Pretty sure the walking distances won't have changed much :tongue:
Reply 1673
Original post by girlwithsharpteeth
Pretty sure the walking distances won't have changed much :tongue:

there could have been stealth earthquakes :laugh:
Reply 1674
Original post by PhilosophyIsMyGame
It wasn't that I didn't like Henry price because from my previous posts I loved it so much but now ive thought about it and the sharing a bathroom thing made me a bit uncomfortale just in case I didn't get on with the person I would feel scared to be sick or something haha and Henry price doesn't have a common room which is a let down I think Clarence dock is better all round for me it's more safer and stuff! Plus it's not oversubscribed and I won't have to worry about getting put somewhere I hate! Much cheaper too haha

Plus it's in a really pretty area and I'll get to travel to uni which would be nice :smile: sorry it's so long haha! What accommodation have you went for?

Makes sense. I still can't decide :frown: I want to live on campus as it's very convenient. Rolling out of bed 5 mins before lectures is the way to go lol. Hmmm I have to think about this... Henry Price is preferable but the competition of the residence is putting me off. I didn't visit HP, however I did love Oxley but downside is that it's quite far from the university...

Haha I'll get back you on that question :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Ok.

I was completely content applying for self-catered accommo until it was pointed out that I can "only cook chicken pesto pasto". :acaila:

:bath: I have viewed the catered accommo and they not only seem alot nicer, but they are all on campus (excluding Bodington).

My fears: the quality and selection of food available from the Refectory. :cry2:

My facts:
the £50 extra per week for the catered accommo could be used for my own food shopping instead of for a daily allowance at the Refectory. However, being catered excludes preparation, cooking and cleaning time everyday.

My question: anyone live in catered and have thoughts and comments on the food available to eat and the accommo?

HELP?

(ps. Im liking Charles Morris and Ellerslie)
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by BrainPleasure
Ok.

I was completely content applying for self-catered accommo until it was pointed out that I can "only cook chicken pesto pasto". :acaila:

:bath: I have viewed the catered accommo and they not only seem alot nicer, but they are all on campus (excluding Bodington).

My fears: the quality and selection of food available from the Refectory. :cry2:

My facts:
the £50 extra per week for the catered accommo could be used for my own food shopping instead of for a daily allowance at the Refectory. However, being catered excludes preparation, cooking and cleaning time everyday.

My question: anyone live in catered and have thoughts and comments on the food available to eat and the accommo?

HELP?

(ps. Im liking Charles Morris and Ellerslie)

Catered is one option, don't have any advice on that though sorry - but why don't you just learn to cook over the summer? I'm crap at cooking, my skills extend to about the level of cheesy toast and scrambled eggs, but I'm going to learn a few basic meals over the summer, get a student cookbook and just do it by trial and error. You'll have to cook for yourself when you move into a house anyway in second year so why not start a year early and get decent at it is my thinking :dontknow:

(And Devonshire isn't on campus - they have catered and self-catered)
Original post by USG
Am I allowed to keep my belongings in my room during the summer vacation?

Sorry, I'm afraid not - we use the rooms over the summer for conferences (which helps us to keep the rents down) so you can't leave your stuff there, I'm afraid. And we don't provide any storage because there are all sorts of health and safety and security issues. however, there's lots of private storage companies in the area so you can make arrangements with one of those if you're going home for the summer but don't want to take your stuff. Although most students (international and domestic) move into private accommodation for their second year, and those contracts usually start on July 1, so even if you want to stay in university accommodation, you may well have friends moving into private who might be happy to keep some stuff for you over the summer.

Original post by USG
What are provided in the rooms of Charles Morris?

Pretty much the same sort of stuff as I've already mentioned for Lupton. In Storm Jameson, there is also a telephone and telephone point, a safe in the wardrobe and loads of storage space (cupboards over the bed and underbed storage). The beds are 4ft (I think they're called "junior doubles"). In the kitchens, as well as table and chairs, there are leather sofas, a coffee table and a flatscreen TV. And as well as the usual kitchen white goods, there's a washing machine and dryer.
Original post by dmz
love your energy :tongue:

Hhaha, im just really excited to get there its going to be so good! dont forget your buying me a drink! :tongue:
Original post by T-Toe
Makes sense. I still can't decide :frown: I want to live on campus as it's very convenient. Rolling out of bed 5 mins before lectures is the way to go lol. Hmmm I have to think about this... Henry Price is preferable but the competition of the residence is putting me off. I didn't visit HP, however I did love Oxley but downside is that it's quite far from the university...

Haha I'll get back you on that question :tongue:

Yeah that's what i thought then this is so random but i was sitting in my study area and there's student accommodation opposite and i was looking out the window thinking if i had to look at my sixth form everyday I'd be sick of my life haha i think i want to have a bit of an adventure to uni and stuff!

Oh yeah Oxley is beautiful and the bus journey there is nice too, i don't think it would be too bad Oxley is waaaaay cheaper too, its like £79 - £94 so you wouldnt be paying so much on accommodation and i don't think bus passes are that expensive!

Latest