Help in: ''How does an airplane work?'' Watch

Norbas
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hi there.
I couldn't find any post on this so I decided to create one.
I'm doing a project on my chosen subject which is: ''How does an airplane work?''.
I need to use three fields of physics apparently.
What I think I'm gonna do is: Bernoulli's principle which is about airspeed and pressure associated with wings. Mechanics when it takes off and mechanics during a flight. I can't find the third one and I need a help. I thought of systems, but what I'm gonna say?? When the pilot pulls the gear the airplane speeds up. It's a nonsense.
Please help me out.
Cheers in advance.
Sammydemon
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I will help to bump and correct your spelling: aeroplane.
spocckka
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Is the bernoulli effect not only for spinning objects? I don't think it itself can be applied to aircraft wings, although it's the same principal.
username51312
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Norbas
Bernoulli effect is applied to it. It states that due to the wing design, the airspeed over the wing is higher, so the lower the pressure. However under the wing the airspeed is slower and the pressure is higher so, and aircraft is able to take off.
to: SammyDemon: actually you are right, but I don't know why I've written it down that way. We live in Britian. BTW: You post didn't help me out with my question .
Stonebridge
Badges: 10
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Norbas)
Hi there.
I couldn't find any post on this so I decided to create one.
I'm doing a project on my chosen subject which is: ''How does an airplane work?''.
I need to use three fields of physics apparently.
What I think I'm gonna do is: Bernoulli's principle which is about airspeed and pressure associated with wings. Mechanics when it takes off and mechanics during a flight. I can't find the third one and I need a help. I thought of systems, but what I'm gonna say?? When the pilot pulls the gear the airplane speeds up. It's a nonsense.
Please help me out.
Cheers in advance.
It's a bit difficult thinking of a 3rd area of physics strictly relating to how the plane works - but there's a lot of physics in the area of the sound barrier and what happens when a plane flies faster than sound. What is a sonic boom, for example, and what determines the speed of sound in air such that it is less at the height a plane flies than it is on the ground.
Norbas
(Original post by Stonebridge)
It's a bit difficult thinking of a 3rd area of physics strictly relating to how the plane works - but there's a lot of physics in the area of the sound barrier and what happens when a plane flies faster than sound. What is a sonic boom, for example, and what determines the speed of sound in air such that it is less at the height a plane flies than it is on the ground.
Cheers mate. That is helpful, but I actually started thinking about systems, exactly what happens when a pilot does something, and what shows up on a reader in cockpit when something with a plane happens. That could go to systems which is sort of another area.
thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (377)
37.44%
No - but I will (77)
7.65%
No - I don't want to (71)
7.05%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (482)
47.86%

Watched Threads