UCL or Queens Belfast or St Andrews for insurance choice?? Watch

summer_blazed
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I've found myself in a right mess trying to pick my insurance choice, I know I'm going to have Imperial as my firm choice, which leaves UCL, Belfast or St Andrews as options. I'm applying for physics, and as far as I know St Andrews is the best academically for this subject. I suppose I'm stuck most because of how different they all are. The main things I'm concerned about are;

- How easy it will be for me to get home, and to meet friends at other universities.
- How good the course is.
- How good the social life will be.

If anyone who goes to these universities, could comment on the things above. Or just anyone saying why one university is better. I know I have to make this decision myself, but I'm soooooo indecisive. NEED HELP. Thanks guys.
xxxchrisxxx
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
UCL makes the most sense based on your list of criteria. Close to home. Good uni. Good social life. Easy requirements.
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by summer_blazed)
I've found myself in a right mess trying to pick my insurance choice, I know I'm going to have Imperial as my firm choice, which leaves UCL, Belfast or St Andrews as options. I'm applying for physics, and as far as I know St Andrews is the best academically for this subject. I suppose I'm stuck most because of how different they all are. The main things I'm concerned about are;

- How easy it will be for me to get home, and to meet friends at other universities.

If anyone who goes to these universities, could comment on the things above. Or just anyone saying why one university is better. I know I have to make this decision myself, but I'm soooooo indecisive. NEED HELP. Thanks guys.
I would say UCL hands down.
1) Easy connections from Paddington station to Bristol (Temple Meads) to go home. Paddington is a 10/15 mins bus ride from the UCL "campus" (I've done the journey from UCL to Paddington before.) Where as with St A and Belfast you would need to fly.
2) You can go for intercollegiate halls and stay with people from LSE, SOAS, Kings e.c.t plus you'll find students from the other top London unis at the UCL freshers events
3) Okay so London is a tad more expensive to go out in but pre drink and you should be fine, their is so much to do for all tastes.
4) I know someone doing Astrophysics and she loves it
5) It would make the most sense as an insurance choice, as it meets the above criteria, plus the AAB offer which St A doesn't have.
Noldorin
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

My frank advice is: choose any university based on the course quality, reputation, and future prospects. You will probably regret it others, I'm afraid to say.

They're all "good" universities to say the least, but UCL clearly has the best reputation, in particular on the international stage. The career prospects for UCL are also the best, and the fact that it's London-based will help more than a little in finding jobs. If you like charming ancient towns, then I hear St Andrews is the place. It's also a fairly upper-class environment. (Prince William's alma mater.) I know little about Belfast, except it's the best Northern Irish uni, decent for physics, but not as good as the other two.

UCL is a great place, in any case. The reputation for sciences and engineering is inferior to Imperial, but still good. The location is in a bustling and central part of London. Accommodation kind of sucks I hear, but that's minor and true for about everywhere in the city! Oh, but the social life *is* good. Several good friends of mine were recently at UCL, and none of them had complaints.

In any case, it seems you're put Imperial as your firm. That was precisely the position I was in four years ago, so I wish you all the best! A few things you probably already know about the place: the uni (and physics department) have a great reputation; the campus is utter ****e, but South Kensington and Hyde Park are generally nice areas; the social life is pretty poor (but where there's a will there's a way). Are you going for the 3 or 4 year course? There's not a lot of difference, and the workload actually gets a tad easier final year! I bailed out after 3 (on the theoretical course), and essentially had a love-hate relationship with the place for my whole stay. Have mates still there, some like it more and some even less than me!

All the best, in any case. Feel free to ask any questions about Imperial in particular, you have them. :-)
OmeletteAuFromage
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You are all being trolled. Do you really think that the OP doesn't already knows she's going to put UCL as her insurance.
Seriously she's just using you guys to boost her ego.
7M33R
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by OmeletteAuFromage)
You are all being trolled. Do you really think that the OP doesn't already knows she's going to put UCL as her insurance.
The SR is full of people like this.

TBH, if I was her I'd go to UCL over Imperial. At least UCL has some sort of social life, which the OP says she cares about.

And IMO, overall UCL is easily on the same level as Imperial to an employer.

Oxbridge
UCL - Imperial - LSE
Bristol - Wawrick - Durham
Noldorin
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
UCL is probably *close* to Imperial on a national level, although it almost always comes lower in the league tables. At an international level it is definitively behind Imperial. UCL is only considered a world-class institution in a few subjects, where Imperial is one all-round really.

Also, I'm not sure if the OP is trolling, but perhaps I was too kind. I'm not exactly an experienced user of the TSR. Let's give her a chance to reply and defend herself. :-P
internet tough guy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Noldorin)
UCL is probably *close* to Imperial on a national level, although it almost always comes lower in the league tables. At an international level it is definitively behind Imperial. UCL is only considered a world-class institution in a few subjects, where Imperial is one all-round really.

Also, I'm not sure if the OP is trolling, but perhaps I was too kind. I'm not exactly an experienced user of the TSR. Let's give her a chance to reply and defend herself. :-P
Nothing against Imperial, but they only do science and engineering subjects, hardly an all-rounder.
Noldorin
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You misinterpreted me. It's world-class in essentially everything it does. The university as a whole has a notably higher reputation than UCL on the world stage. Likewise, I have nothing against UCL -- it's a great uni, and several good friends have gone there... I'm just stating my own views and those of some employers and league tables.
summer_blazed
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by OmeletteAuFromage)
Thanks for your fantastic insight. But you couldn't be more wrong. Didn't have UCL as my insurance, went on a gap year instead. Reapplied this year, and still don't have UCL as my insurance. But thanks again.
tooosh
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Where are you at? Out of interest?

Edit: lol February. What a bump.
Edit: February LAST YEAR!
Noldorin
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by tooosh)

****ing hell, I wouldn't have replied if I had seen it February last year. Haha. This question came up at the top of some search along with other recent posts, so I assumed it was recent without looking at the date. :/

The asker doesn't seem to be too grateful for any advice, and it just looking to boost her ego, as was keenly pointed out.

These threads should be auto-closed, at the very least.
sfs1012
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by internet tough guy)
Nothing against Imperial, but they only do science and engineering subjects, hardly an all-rounder.
I think he means all courses offered by imperial are world class whereas only a few from UCL are world class.
Madmachine
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Noldorin)

Not sure if serious...

UCL law, economics, fine art, architecture, neuroscience, psychology, medicine and ESPS (their equivalent of PPE) are all some of the best courses in the country. The rest aren't exactly mickey mouse either. And this is from a university that doesn't specialize in any of those things. Of course if Imperial specializes in science it is going to be better than UCL at it. And that is just undergraduate. At research levels UCL and Imperial are totally on par with Oxbridge because they are the golden triangle and receive the lion's share of research funding in the country. The rest aren't.
Noldorin
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Madmachine)
Not sure if serious...

UCL law, economics, fine art, architecture, neuroscience, psychology, medicine and ESPS (their equivalent of PPE) are all some of the best courses in the country. The rest aren't exactly mickey mouse either. And this is from a university that doesn't specialize in any of those things. Of course if Imperial specializes in science it is going to be better than UCL at it. And that is just undergraduate. At research levels UCL and Imperial are totally on par with Oxbridge because they are the golden triangle and receive the lion's share of research funding in the country. The rest aren't.
Your points are partially fair, but you have a much-inflated opinion of UCL and even Imperial, I must say. At undergraduate and graduate levels, they are both notably behind Oxbridge, sorry. This is plainly how the working world, even more so internationally (but also in the UK) recognises these universities. Do you have even a remote concept of how much wealthier Oxford and Cambridge are than Imperial or UCL? Their endowments alone are on the order of a 100x the size of Imperial's or UCL's.

There was never any disparaging of UCL -- or even Imperial, my own undergraduate college -- but the fact remains that their reputations and rankings -- in particular that of UCL, lags significantly behind that of Oxbridge.
summer_blazed
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by tooosh)

Currently I'm travelling around India. Got Oxford and Imperial this time round after a fmaths retake.
Noldorin
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Currently I'm travelling around India. Got Oxford and Imperial this time round after a fmaths retake.
Yeah, this person is definitely looking for an ego boost... Pathetic.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (448)
37.84%
No - but I will (88)
7.43%
No - I don't want to (82)
6.93%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (566)
47.8%

Watched Threads