"Bankers celebrate bonuses like the financial crisis never happened" Watch

Shiftend
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
The Daily Mirror recently reported that "lazy" traders from Barclays Capital were cashing in on there £600,000 bonuses by popping £200 bottles of champagne and by purchasing luxury black edition Porsche cars. Have a look at the article - http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-sto...5875-22926416/ - Do you agree with what is being said, is it true that "lazy fatcat" bankers are filling there boots in excess?
spazman21
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Wow, the Daily Mirror really manages to dupe some people.
Pendulum
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I doubt that any of that story is actually true.
llamalad200
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
i have NO PROBLEM with their bonuses as long as it is a bank which we did not nationalise. anyway, why is everyone bothered? sounds like jealousy to me. bonuses are an essential part of the business. they act as incentives. if britain stopped them then all the bankers may move out of the country, reducing our economy. plus, bonuses are taxed fairly significantly so they are actually a different revenue stream for the government. people need to chill out and ignore the stupidity and blame culture of the media.
angelmxxx
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Well they did make a £6 BILLION profit!
arabcnesbit
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
What about the £300,000 of that bonus that goes straight to the tax man. Is this not mentioned?

What about the 20% VAT they will pay on everything substantial they buy, is this not mentioned?

What about the fact that these guys regularly do 100 hour weeks, is this lazy?

What about the fact that these people worked hard at school, worked hard at University, work hard at their current jobs and if they didn't make their bank any money they would be sacked asap. Is this mentioned?

What about the fact that if you think you get something for nothing in this world you are extremely dumb.

End of rant.
Txi
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
LOL at these wannabe bankerwnakers grovelling at their prospective masters
Lorchii
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
its silly to bring barcap into this seeing as they kept themselves afloat using middle eastern investers! and the fact remains that bonuses are taxed higher than what the bank would be taxed if it kept the money as profit. So it is more beneficial to the tax payer to actually have these types of bonuses...but i doubt many people on this forum would be representative of the alternative argument. The real issue is having bonuses being paid out before a deal recognises any of its potential value! People should be rewarded for results, not just potential revenues.
morris743
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Shiftend)
The Daily Mirror recently reported that "lazy" traders from Barclays Capital were cashing in on there £600,000 bonuses by popping £200 bottles of champagne and by purchasing luxury black edition Porsche cars. Have a look at the article - http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-sto...5875-22926416/ - Do you agree with what is being said, is it true that "lazy fatcat" bankers are filling there boots in excess?
Their*

I swear, at least 70% of young people I encounter seem to get this wrong.

Carry on...
SAK.A
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
What have you got against bankers. I'm pretty show if you were given a bonus that big you wouldn't refuse.
bognor-regis
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
These bankers make me so angry. £200 on a bottle of champagne? £600,000 for sitting behind a desk and wearing fancy suits. It's a complete sham, it really is.

Edit: Hmm neg rep for giving a legitimate opinion. How unlike tsr. Some people need to learn how to have a discussion.
Pendulum
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Is it their fault companies are willing to pay them for it?
WelshBluebird
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by llamalad200)
they act as incentives
Incentives for what? Making huge risks that eventually caused the financial crisis?
aspiringwhatever
Badges: 12
Report 8 years ago
not just bankers...
paella
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It's Ying and Yang. Normally you'd expect loads of bankers making profits to be recieved alongside loads of people making a loss. Everyone cannot make profits on share trades, especially betting on share trades, as someones shares always go down.

Now, for the last 15 years, it's only been loads of people getting bonuses, and barely any loss. Now, over the last 3 years, there has been a reccession and crisis. The problem with people of our age is that it's difficult to have a broad economic perspective. On banking bonuses, imagine how the crisis looks for someone who's been an investment banker since they were 21, and is 40 now.
SAK.A
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by bognor-regis)
These bankers make me so angry. £200 on a bottle of champagne? £600,000 for sitting behind a desk and wearing fancy suits. It's a complete sham, it really is.
What about the effort they put in what about the tax on the bonuses they receive what about the tax on the goods and services they consume?
Psychotic546
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by arabcnesbit)
What about the £300,000 of that bonus that goes straight to the tax man. Is this not mentioned?

What about the 20% VAT they will pay on everything substantial they buy, is this not mentioned?

What about the fact that these people worked hard at school, worked hard at University, work hard at their current jobs and if they didn't make their bank any money they would be sacked asap. Is this mentioned?

What about the fact that if you think you get something for nothing in this world you are extremely dumb.

End of rant.
Wouldn't be 300,000 but still agree with this.

Just wondering OP, would you give all of your bonus to the government then if you were a banker? We'd all do it so stop pretending they're committing some heinous crime.
SAK.A
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by arabcnesbit)

End of rant.
+rep when I get some.
Couldn't agree with you more man.
Aristotle's' Disciple
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Good for them! Let them celebrate!
arabcnesbit
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Psychotic546)
Wouldn't be 300,000 but still agree with this.

Just wondering OP, would you give all of your bonus to the government then if you were a banker? We'd all do it so stop pretending they're committing some heinous crime.
I thought since the bonuses were paid in shares they would be taxed at 50% ie the higher tax rate?

Could be wrong though.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (446)
37.93%
No - but I will (88)
7.48%
No - I don't want to (80)
6.8%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (562)
47.79%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise