The Student Room Group

Tesco slammed over 'sexist' T-shirt - your views...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by No Man
And I thought it was going to be something like this!

:ahee:

People need to get over themselves.

Omg yes ! That is what this Fourm needs!
Reply 81
I've seen one which says FBI (Female Body Inspector). It didn't make me outraged, it made me lol.
Original post by Acerbic
I've seen one which says FBI (Female Body Inspector). It didn't make me outraged, it made me lol.

Haha, they had those in a shop in America when I was there for a family holiday around the year 2000. My mum asked if I wanted one, I was like "wtf mother?"
How inappropriate.
Reply 83
Original post by fudgeeyena
Political correctness gone mad. Im a girl and I just find it funny, not sexist. Actually, I think I want one.

Same hahahaha :biggrin:
Reply 84
I'd expect a half-wit to wear one of those T-shirts. I think it gives a pretty good visual indicator of which men to avoid - so if you really like it then please go ahead and buy it as it'll make side-stepping you much easier.
It's all too easy to dismiss this story as moronic extremist feminism.

Is the t-shirt sexist? Well, it does objectify women and promote voyeurism, although obviously in a light hearted way. I would hate to come across as some sort of overly PC Harman type, but often trivialisng real sexism under the grounds of 'oh it's only a joke' that leads to deeply upsetting consequences.

The real issue here is to what extent shops should adopt an ethical and responsible approach to what they sell. Sexism affects men negatively too, often by portraying them as useless with everyday menial tasks. Should this also be tolerated? Firms will do anything to make vast profits without having any care for the negative effects this may produce.
Original post by ahnaf.c
Oh, and women are in no way responsible for sexualising themselves. :rolleyes:

Isn't that the point of feminism though - to create choices for women?

Shouldn't you ought to choose if you or if you do not want to be sexualised? I can't see what choice there is in some bloke wearing a hilariously witty (:rolleyes:) t-shirt about letching.
Original post by lovely_me
Isn't that the point of feminism though - to create choices for women?

Shouldn't you ought to choose if you or if you do not want to be sexualised? I can't see what choice there is in some bloke wearing a hilariously witty (:rolleyes:) t-shirt about letching.

What?..no that isnt the point of feminism in the sense that..they are completely against objectifying women...
Reply 88
Original post by BookWormShanti
this.

Sorry but can you or anyone else tell me more about the picture in your sig?
Reply 89
Original post by moley89
Sorry but can you or anyone else tell me more about the picture in your sig?

What do you want to know about it? :s-smilie:
I found it in someone else's sig in TSR a couple of year ago now, thought it was wondeful, stole it off them (they haven't been active for a while) and voila :biggrin:
You may like this: http://sites.google.com/site/rbb040480/images/life.jpg
Reply 90
get over it.
Reply 91
Because that's the most offensive thing on the Market?
There's playboy tshirts for £8 in matalan. They've got playboy covers from the 70s on the front.
I think these women were angry about being called birds, but that's a cultural thing rather than bug bad teaco's fault.
Original post by jakemittle
What?..no that isnt the point of feminism in the sense that..they are completely against objectifying women...

Not necessarily. Your grasp of feminism is poor if you think it is that obtuse. :pierre:

Original post by Foo.mp3
Nowt wrong with a nice slice of voyeurism :smile:

That really depends on your point of view, I suppose.

I'm curious as to the scenario that you envisage might come of this T-shirt design that could possibly be interpreted as having such consequences?

If we condone the practice of leering on women, indeed if it's encouraged could you not see how this could have some negative consequences, at all?!

Men, like the majority of women I must add, do not concern themselves with such piffle, they get on with it - the proof is in the pudding

But some do.
Not necessarily. Your grasp of feminism is poor if you think it is that obtuse. :pierre:

Mhm, there are many areas to feminism, the one I brought up is something thats related to this discussion...
Although im not the biggest fan of Feminism I must say
..at least extreme feminism anyways
Reply 94
Solve sexism and domestic violence in Africa and the developing world? Stuff that, Tesco is selling a tacky t-shirt! Charge!
Reply 95
wow, I'm not even offended by that.
Reply 96
Original post by BookWormShanti
What do you want to know about it? :s-smilie:
I found it in someone else's sig in TSR a couple of year ago now, thought it was wondeful, stole it off them (they haven't been active for a while) and voila :biggrin:
You may like this: http://sites.google.com/site/rbb040480/images/life.jpg

Just wondered if you knew who made it really. It's pretty awesome. :tongue:

Seems this is the origin.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 97
Original post by moley89
Just wondered if you knew who made it really. It's pretty awesome. :tongue:

Seems this is the origin.

Thanks!! It is :awesome: Sadly, I don't have an account to comment but I have hugged them virtually
Shouldn't you ought to choose if you or if you do not want to be sexualised?
You don't get a choice.
Women have wombs.
Millions of years of evolution have made women attractive to men and vice versa. Jesus, "Objectification" of women is objectionable, but you cannot "sexualise" an ADULT HUMAN they are INNATELY SEXUAL BEINGS.

Sorry lovely_me, you appear to set me off on one here. nothing personal.
A guy would only wear this for sh*ts 'n' giggles :biggrin:

This is Britain, we're supposed to take pride in our sense of humor :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending