Car audio upgrade.. Watch

khalaf
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hey everyone

So here's the thing, I just installed 2 pairs of new speakers in my Suzuki Grand Vitara:

2x 190W Sony Xplod GTFs in the roof
2x 300W Sony Xplod GTXs in the door panels

:awesome:

My question is: Do i need an amplifier for this setup (because I've been told that the setup can make the cassette player, for lack of a better expression, get ****ed ) & if so, how many watts should the amp be able to handle for me to get the most out of the new speakers?

Thanks
hasin_arshad
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Yes, get an amplifier, would say a good quality 600w amp should be fine, you could even wire a subwoofer to the amp

On a side note, the video in your sig doesn't demonstrate drifting in any shape or form
khalaf
Rep:
?
(Original post by hasin_arshad)
Yes, get an amplifier, would say a good quality 600w amp should be fine, you could even wire a subwoofer to the amp

On a side note, the video in your sig doesn't demonstrate drifting in any shape or form
Hmm, the thing is I heard that if you get an amp that's got lower power than your net power for the speakers then it'll burn out the amp.

What I wanted to know is whether it's true that without an amp the cassette player might get burnt out because the sound system's just short of 1000 watts which it probably can't handle??

And in this country we have a tendency to call oversteering drifting
Nuffles
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You're quoting maximum ratings, you need to tell us your RMS ratings. If they're down around 45-50W (which I expect they are) then you'll be fine with the stock head unit if you're happy with the sound quality it's producing.

If you want to run an amp for better sound quality you need to find one with high level inputs as I highly doubt your stock head unit has pre-amp outs. You need to find a 4 channel amp with matched RMS ratings per channel to go with each speaker. If either amp or speaker is significantly more powerful than the other then something will **** up. If you're going down this route I'd recommend a new head unit with 4 pre-amp outs to get best sound quality as high level inputs on the amp aren't best known for their sq.

If you want to run a sub you'll need a second amp as you won't be able to run an amp plus four speakers through a single amp. At the moment I have two speakers under my dashboard powered by my Blaupunkt head unit (very impressive sq and good feature list) with a Fli amp under the drivers seat powering a 70W sub in the boot. Doesn't sound like a lot but with a decent sub enclosure and the amp set up right it definitely thumps
khalaf
Rep:
?
(Original post by Nuffles)
You're quoting maximum ratings, you need to tell us your RMS ratings. If they're down around 45-50W (which I expect they are) then you'll be fine with the stock head unit if you're happy with the sound quality it's producing.

If you want to run an amp for better sound quality you need to find one with high level inputs as I highly doubt your stock head unit has pre-amp outs. You need to find a 4 channel amp with matched RMS ratings per channel to go with each speaker. If either amp or speaker is significantly more powerful than the other then something will **** up. If you're going down this route I'd recommend a new head unit with 4 pre-amp outs to get best sound quality as high level inputs on the amp aren't best known for their sq.

If you want to run a sub you'll need a second amp as you won't be able to run an amp plus four speakers through a single amp. At the moment I have two speakers under my dashboard powered by my Blaupunkt head unit (very impressive sq and good feature list) with a Fli amp under the drivers seat powering a 70W sub in the boot. Doesn't sound like a lot but with a decent sub enclosure and the amp set up right it definitely thumps
I'm guessing by RMS you mean rated power? They're 40 Watts & 75 Watts which, according to what you said, is too much right? The thing is with all this amp business is that it's VERY expensive to get all this stuff you're talking about, which is why I want to know whether it's completely necessary, as in nothing will get burnt out if I keep the setup the way it is at the moment.
Nuffles
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by khalaf)
I'm guessing by RMS you mean rated power? They're 40 Watts & 75 Watts which, according to what you said, is too much right? The thing is with all this amp business is that it's VERY expensive to get all this stuff you're talking about, which is why I want to know whether it's completely necessary, as in nothing will get burnt out if I keep the setup the way it is at the moment.
The 40W speakers will be fine hooked up to the head unit. Which means you can get a cheaper 2 channel amp to power the 70W speakers. My Fli 2Ch unit was about £45 online, although it took some finding to get it at that price as most online outlets are selling it for around £70-80. I think it might have high level inputs but I'm not sure about that. Many older amps have high level inputs as it used to be 'the way to do it' before RCA's became popular so maybe look out for second hand units on eBay, but if you do go second hand stick to decent names like Alpine and Blaupunkt. On the other hand, you can take your chances with the 70Ws hooked up to the head unit. If they do fry it then hopefully it should only fry those two channels, leaving the two 40Ws still in working condition. You can start looking at an amped setup then.

I'm considering (once I have a bit more money, I have an America trip coming up with college making me a little skint at the moment) moving my sub amp into the boot and picking up a second 2Ch amp to put under the driver's seat to power the dash speakers to bump up my SQ
khalaf
Rep:
?
The 40W speakers will be fine hooked up to the head unit. Which means you can get a cheaper 2 channel amp to power the 70W speakers. My Fli 2Ch unit was about £45 online, although it took some finding to get it at that price as most online outlets are selling it for around £70-80. I think it might have high level inputs but I'm not sure about that. Many older amps have high level inputs as it used to be 'the way to do it' before RCA's became popular so maybe look out for second hand units on eBay, but if you do go second hand stick to decent names like Alpine and Blaupunkt. On the other hand, you can take your chances with the 70Ws hooked up to the head unit. If they do fry it then hopefully it should only fry those two channels, leaving the two 40Ws still in working condition. You can start looking at an amped setup then.

I'm considering (once I have a bit more money, I have an America trip coming up with college making me a little skint at the moment) moving my sub amp into the boot and picking up a second 2Ch amp to put under the driver's seat to power the dash speakers to bump up my SQ
Hmmm, I guess i'll look around for the 2 channel amp, coz i really can't afford to burn out the head unit and buy another one.

Thanks alot!
Nuffles
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Something like this:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Legacy-2-Chann...item35af4743ce
Would do the job, although you might want to pay a little more to get decent build quality. Note the 'With both speaker level and RCA inputs', that's the high level inputs I was talking about so you simply plug the wires that were attached to your speakers straight into it, and then wire your new speakers in.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FLI-450S-2-cha...item1e5f8f2564
This is what I have and it's at a good price on eBay atm, comes with a free wiring kit too, although I'm pretty sure it doesn't have high level inputs, but something like this:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SPEAKER-RCA-CO...item4ce9e6b8a2
Will sort that for you.
khalaf
Rep:
?
Something like this:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Legacy-2-Chann...item35af4743ce
Would do the job, although you might want to pay a little more to get decent build quality. Note the 'With both speaker level and RCA inputs', that's the high level inputs I was talking about so you simply plug the wires that were attached to your speakers straight into it, and then wire your new speakers in.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FLI-450S-2-cha...item1e5f8f2564
This is what I have and it's at a good price on eBay atm, comes with a free wiring kit too, although I'm pretty sure it doesn't have high level inputs, but something like this:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SPEAKER-RCA-CO...item4ce9e6b8a2
Will sort that for you.
Ok cool thanks, i'll look for them. There is one thing that i still don't get though , is the 240w on the amplifier for RMS or max output power? Because i've been told that if you have an underpowered amp fitted to the speakers then that could fry the amp.

Thanks alot for the help!
Nuffles
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by khalaf)
Ok cool thanks, i'll look for them. There is one thing that i still don't get though , is the 240w on the amplifier for RMS or max output power? Because i've been told that if you have an underpowered amp fitted to the speakers then that could fry the amp.

Thanks alot for the help!
Looks to be max power, so you may want to look more towards the Fli unit which is rated around 120W per channel depending on impedance so pretty well matched to your 75W speakers. Also comes with the wiring kit which is nice, plus the £10 for the speaker level to RCA adapter.
khalaf
Rep:
?
Looks to be max power, so you may want to look more towards the Fli unit which is rated around 120W per channel depending on impedance so pretty well matched to your 75W speakers. Also comes with the wiring kit which is nice, plus the £10 for the speaker level to RCA adapter.
Can't thank you enough for clearing all this up, thanks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (236)
39.14%
No - but I will (41)
6.8%
No - I don't want to (45)
7.46%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (281)
46.6%

Watched Threads