Plan to bring UK clocks forward Watch

The Stig
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Longer evenings could move a step closer with a government plan to move UK clocks forward an extra hour.

A "tourism strategy" will include a plan to move the clocks in line with most of Europe, bringing lighter evenings but darker mornings.
Full story:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12517762

What are your thoughts?
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
My 6am starts are dark enough, thanks :-(
Drunk Punx
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I find it hard enough to get up for work in the mornings, and making them darker really wouldn't do me any favours.
Hopple
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I was reading this earlier :ninja:

It's a bit needless, why can't employers just ask their employees to shift their day by half an hour, an hour or 90 minutes every now and again if that's what they want?

If I were a boss, and half of my employees were getting into daily car crashes because of poor lighting, I'd ask them to come in to and finish work later (or earlier, if it is dusk when they crash).
Lintu93
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
No! Why should we have to conform to Europe?

All for what? A few measly tourists!

The current system ain't broke, so why fix it?
ap3456
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It's in the news pretty much every single year.

It will be followed by an article next week saying how the farmers are up in arms about losing an hour's work in the early morning, particularly in Scotland where they don't have much light in April anyway.
twelve
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Strange idea really - whats wrong with the way it is now? And why would that help tourism?

It just means that we get darker mornings for when everyone is travelling to work, but lighter evenings. In the summer, we get light evenings anyway, and for the winter, bringing the clocks forward an hour wouldn't make a lot of difference. It would still be dark by the time everyone is home from work in the middle of winter.

Honestly, it all sounds a bit pointless. No need to change something that isn't broken!
Panda Vinnie
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The last thing we need is darker mornings :dry: depressing as hell waking up to see that **** out the window!

Waking up to dark rain clouds of doom is the worst feeling ever. Unnecessary idea.
Broderss
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
We'll all be nocturnal within the next few years as David Cameron sucks up closer to America to keep the 'special relationship'.
Samg123
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
As someone who locks up the chickens at a chicken farm, this would mean me not getting back from work till about 11 o'clock.
But I do like the idea of long, lazy, warm, bright evenings.
But it's Britain so what'll actually happen is the gloom will be imperceptibly brighter for an unnoticably short period of time, after which it will lapse into a dense, cloying darkness.
RyanT
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Lintu93)

All for what? A few measly tourists!

Ahem, actually vis-a-vis other countries in our longitude we're out of sync for our timezone. You do have to ask yourself whether the French and everyone south of us, really have set their clocks wrong or perhaps it's us, you know - the people who share a time zone with portugal and west Africa - might be the ones in the wrong time zone.

All for what? Some of us work and would like to come back from work with an evening worth going out in. I'm personally fed up of coming home in darkness.

Why? Because some farmers in western scotland cry that it's too dark for them in the mornings. By having a timezone that is appropiate for our geography (for the vast majority of the people not living on the west coast of scotland!!) we could help move beyond a work-work-work mentality where our daylight hours are all spent in the office during 6 months of the year.

I personally look forward to being able to do something pleasant with my evenings. Also it's light enough in the mornings for most of the year (!) - why should we spend our evenings in darkness because some sad souls go to work at 6am? The problem is with them and their warped idea of work-life balance.
U.S Lecce
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Aw for ****, it's dark enough in scotland in the winter as it is! Don't make it worse for us!
ShinyT
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
NOOOO, because it means less sleep time
Crazy Paving
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
No, I'd sooner they just leave it as it is. It works fine for me, plus mornings can be dark enough already as they are.
L i b
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Lintu93)
Oh for ****'s sake.

It certainly is broke. RoSPA credits the political cowardice over changing the time zone with numerous deaths, which could - statistically speaking - be avoided.

(Original post by ap3456)
It's in the news pretty much every single year.

It will be followed by an article next week saying how the farmers are up in arms about losing an hour's work in the early morning, particularly in Scotland where they don't have much light in April anyway.
It would seem to me that, unlike the rest of us, farmers don't really have to be up at a certain time. It's not like animals understand GMT.
L i b
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by U.S Lecce)
Aw for ****, it's dark enough in scotland in the winter as it is! Don't make it worse for us!
Believe it or not, a change in the law will not actually reduce the amount of sunlight. Anyway, the proposal actually is disproportionately useful to more northernly areas of the country.

(Original post by RyanT)
All for what? Some of us work and would like to come back from work with an evening worth going out in. I'm personally fed up of coming home in darkness.

Why? Because some farmers in western scotland cry that it's too dark for them in the mornings. By having a timezone that is appropiate for our geography (for the vast majority of the people not living on the west coast of scotland!!) we could help move beyond a work-work-work mentality where our daylight hours are all spent in the office during 6 months of the year.

I personally look forward to being able to do something pleasant with my evenings. Also it's light enough in the mornings for most of the year (!) - why should we spend our evenings in darkness because some sad souls go to work at 6am? The problem is with them and their warped idea of work-life balance.
Quite.
A Mysterious Lord
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Further erosion of British history, GMT is the world standard that all other time zones are calculated by and Cameron is proposing to bring us into line with French time. Is it f*** to do with 'tourism', it's the EU interfering again :mad:
U.S Lecce
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by L i b)
Believe it or not, a change in the law will not actually reduce the amount of sunlight. Anyway, the proposal actually is disproportionately useful to more northernly areas of the country.

Quite.
I know it wont affect the amount of sunlight, but the time we get the sunlight, i'm not an idiot jeez:rolleyes:

see if you add an hour to the number of hours that we don't have sunlight, plus one less hour, carry the one, and divide by the days that are darker due to bad weather.............wait a minute!
SAK.A
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I don't really care after a bit I think I will get used to it anyway.
greebo-man
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'd well happily sacrifice light in the morning for extended evening fun. Think about it: when have you enjoyed your funnest times? just after waking up? or sitting on your porch watching the sky, cool beverage in hand.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (378)
37.31%
No - but I will (77)
7.6%
No - I don't want to (71)
7.01%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (487)
48.08%

Watched Threads