Access to HE - good foundation for a Biology degree? Watch

SiXR
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hi folks,
I'm planning on applying to study for a Wildlife or Environmental Biology degree, and currently deciding which route to go down to prepare for this: Access to HE Diploma or A-levels. Weighing-up up the pros & cons of both in terms of time, cost, depth, lab-access, availability in my area, entry requirements etc I'm swaying towards Access to HE (Science).

One of my questions is whether the Access course gives a good foundation in Biology/Chemistry/Maths subjects required for degree study.
I completed 1 year of Biology/Chemistry/Maths at A-level so I have an idea of the depth of study at that level, although this was 15 years ago!

Particularly keen to hear from folks who did Access to Science and then went on to do Biology & related degrees - was the course adequate preparation for your degree? Did you feel comfortable with the level of knowledge you had gained when starting your degree? Or did you need to do a lot of additional studying to get yourself up-to-speed on the fundamentals?

-Cheers
Owly
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Speak to the admissions tutors at the universities you're interested in and ask their advice. Over the last few years, universities have begun to welcome Access courses, so I'd go with whatever the admissions people recommend.
spangex
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
im doing a science access course and people in my class have already had offers for Biological Sciences, Bio-meds, nursing, teaching (science) - mines mainly biology based, but its mainly human as i'm doing health sciences but still good foundations - but there is supposed to be a bit of a crack down on access next year but this is more to do with needing distinctions to get offers etc...
stevit
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hey op,

I've been offered a place to study human biology at university and a friend of mine got onto a general biology degree two years ago at York with just an access course. It's a great foundation as long as you choose scientific subjects.
Heinz the German
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It's certainly good enough for Biology and related subjects. A friend of mine has two interviews and two offers already (2 for Bio, 2 for Micro bio - 1 of each on offers and interviews)
chai wallah
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by SiXR)
Hi folks,
I'm planning on applying to study for a Wildlife or Environmental Biology degree, and currently deciding which route to go down to prepare for this: Access to HE Diploma or A-levels. Weighing-up up the pros & cons of both in terms of time, cost, depth, lab-access, availability in my area, entry requirements etc I'm swaying towards Access to HE (Science).

One of my questions is whether the Access course gives a good foundation in Biology/Chemistry/Maths subjects required for degree study.
I completed 1 year of Biology/Chemistry/Maths at A-level so I have an idea of the depth of study at that level, although this was 15 years ago!

Particularly keen to hear from folks who did Access to Science and then went on to do Biology & related degrees - was the course adequate preparation for your degree? Did you feel comfortable with the level of knowledge you had gained when starting your degree? Or did you need to do a lot of additional studying to get yourself up-to-speed on the fundamentals?

-Cheers
Yep, agree with the above. Birmingham wanted to be sure that if I did an Access course it would specifically cover enough of the material to be suitable - they were wary but very willing. This was for Biological Sciences, so enough bio + chem.

Unfortunately I think it depends on your college as to what modules you can take in the Access course itself - I don't know if you can request extra. But if they're offering a course combination they call 'Access to Science' you SHOULD be okay. Find out about your modules and talk to unis! Good luck!
SiXR
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Thanks for the replies guys. I've had a chat with the course administrator & I'm also attending an info session in a couple of weeks which will go into what is covered in more detail. After that I'll get back to the Admissions people at the unis I'm interested in and go from there.
girlwithsharpteeth
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I've been doing the access course as it's been a few years since I did my A levels, but as I have done sciences in both I can say that they are very similar in level (they're both level 3 qualifications) but obviously because the access course is 1 year instead of 2, it misses some of the modules that A level students so (e.g. in Biology we're not doing plants, the Krebs cycle or ecosystems). I have offers to do biomedical sciences, physiology, audiology and cardiac physiology.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (386)
37.22%
No - but I will (80)
7.71%
No - I don't want to (72)
6.94%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (499)
48.12%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed