Both the Roman Catholic and Islam teach that men and women are equal, but different. Watch

year9sucks
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
do you agree or disagree?
I have to do a survey/reaction thing about this. Please make ur answer as a paragraph because i want it in detail. Thnx
Annora
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
They seem to use that 'equal but different' claim as an excuse to impose gender roles. What it really means, imo, is that men and women should be kept in their 'accustomed places' - i.e. women should have babies, raise children, cook and clean, obey their husbands.. etc. and men should be the breadwinners and head of the family.

It is true that men and women are biologically different, but this shouldn't be used as an excuse to enforce or encourage outdated gender roles.
In2deep
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Equality does not always equal justice. In Islam, women and men are equal in religious obligations and also equal in religious reward/punishment (i.e, in the hereafter). They are equal in the rights to education and cultivation and financial dealings and property ownership and both have equal social responsibilities.

Yet, they do not dress the same (which is probably the most noticeable difference) because in essence, they are different. In one sense, equality between men and women is possible and unquestionable because they are both human, with similar souls, brains, hearts, lungs, limbs, etc. In another sense, equality between men and women is impossible and an absurdity due to their natural differences in physical, mental, emotional and psychological qualities, inclinations and abilities. The Qur’an commands women to wear clothes that are different from those worn by men, because of the differences in the ways each sex is tempted by the other. The temptation posed by men is less than the temptation posed by women, so the clothes that women should wear are different than the clothes that men wear. It makes no sense to tell women to expose the parts of the body that men are allowed to expose, because of the differences in the temptation posed by a woman’s body and a man’s body.

Same with inheritance, equality does not always equal justice. Some people claim that Islam is unjust towards women because it entitles them to inherit half of what men get. In fact, those people only know one side of the truth. First, the principle of women inheriting half the money is only applicable in 45 percent of the cases. In the other 55 percent, women inherit the same amount or sometimes even more. For example, a mother and a father each inherit the sixth of their son's property when they are not the only inheritors. In addition, the laws of inheritance in Islam are proportional to the duties of spending.

On the other hand, a husband shares his hard-earned money with his wife and family, it is the wife's right to take that money but the hard-earned money of the female does not belong to the husband whatsoever.

I think this is a very complicated issue, I haven't done it any justice in this post
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (124)
39.62%
No - but I will (17)
5.43%
No - I don't want to (20)
6.39%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (152)
48.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed