I think I'm allergic to almonds and some fruit? Watch

Sadian
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I've recently had some almonds and I found that I reacted in an irritating way to them. It wasn't a big reaction, it didn't affect anything like my breathing. It just made my lips a bit swollen on the parts it touched and the inside of my mouth would just irritate and itch (in a non-itching way) so bad that it would just infuriate me.

Am I allergic? They didn't affect me before at all when I had them as a kid. And thinking about this almond issue, it's been the same with certain fruits. Bananas, oranges, strawberries, mangos, avocados and the lot are fine but stuff like apples, pears, plums (OH GOD, THESE ARE THE WORST) and other similar things that I can't remember right now affect me the same way as the almonds do. Now, they didn't affect me as a kid. I thought that it was just my intolerance to fruit instead of an allergy because as a kid, I would have them often but I rarely ever have them now ever and although it wasn't like this as a kid, it's become that if I do have them, I react in a minor allergic-reaction sort of way.

Am I allergic? Do I need to do anything about it or do I just avoid the particular fruits/almonds? I mean, it seems a bit far-fetched to be allergic to fruits. :/
CookieGhoul
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm allergic to orange juice. Last time I had orange juice, I almost choked to death. Serious

On a lighter note, I'm allergic to chocolate also

But seriously. Try and get some medical tests done to check it out. Better safe than sorry
laurenlodge
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Sounds like what I have; fairly common mild fruit allergy I think Known as OAS.

It's annoying as anything - apparently the fruit issue is something to do with pollen?

http://www.allergyclinic.co.uk/oas.h...-related%20OAS

I just avoid the fruits - not much can be done about it, I have antihistamine stuff etc for hayfever and that doesn't make any difference.
Rachel08
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
i have a similar problem-with me I can get a lump in my throat, itchy gums and/or a swollen lip. For me this happens with apples, pears, peaches, nectarines, cherries, plums even tomatoes ocasionally.
It is hideously uncomfortable, but not serious.
My mum gets the same and she looked it up on the internet and it's a recognised condition. It often affects people with pollen-allergies. I personally have hayfever and eczema that's affected by pollen.

I just found this that might be useful for you: http://allergies.about.com/od/foodallergies/a/oas.htm
Hope that's helpful
ShinyT
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
visit a Doctor
Sadian
Rep:
?
(Original post by CookieGhoul)
I'm allergic to orange juice. Last time I had orange juice, I almost choked to death. Serious

But seriously. Try and get some medical tests done to check it out. Better safe than sorry
That's not a lighter note! Being allergic to chocolate is worse than death. :c

Okay, maybe not but that sucks! Anyhow, yeah, I want to see a doctor for it but my Asian mummy just says I'm over-exaggerating!

(Original post by lozz2601)
I just avoid the fruits - not much can be done about it, I have antihistamine stuff etc for hayfever and that doesn't make any difference.
Aww, but then I'm all unhealthy and stuff.

(Original post by Rachel08)
i have a similar problem-with me I can get a lump in my throat, itchy gums and/or a swollen lip. For me this happens with apples, pears, peaches, nectarines, cherries, plums even tomatoes ocasionally.
It is hideously uncomfortable, but not serious.
My mum gets the same and she looked it up on the internet and it's a recognised condition. It often affects people with pollen-allergies. I personally have hayfever and eczema that's affected by pollen.

I just found this that might be useful for you: http://allergies.about.com/od/foodallergies/a/oas.htm
Hope that's helpful
OMG, exactly the same with me! Exactly those fruits! Cherries, plums and I actually don't know what a nectarine is. Silly me. Anyway, I also have mild hayfever and I used to have eczema as a child although it hasn't troubled me much ever since I became 15.
laurenlodge
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Sadian)
That's not a lighter note! Being allergic to chocolate is worse than death. :c

Okay, maybe not but that sucks! Anyhow, yeah, I want to see a doctor for it but my Asian mummy just says I'm over-exaggerating!

Aww, but then I'm all unhealthy and stuff.

OMG, exactly the same with me! Exactly those fruits! Cherries, plums and I actually don't know what a nectarine is. Silly me. Anyway, I also have mild hayfever and I used to have eczema as a child although it hasn't troubled me much ever since I became 15.
You could see a doctor if it puts your mind at rest, but it's unlikely they'll do anything - it's not like you can usually cure food allergies easily.

Yeh it does make it difficult to get your 5 a day, but vegetables aren't off limits and I find that oranges, grapes, bananas are okay. And when you think of some allergies people are cursed with, I feel lucky that I got off with a measly fruit one!
Sadian
Rep:
?
(Original post by lozz2601)
You could see a doctor if it puts your mind at rest, but it's unlikely they'll do anything - it's not like you can usually cure food allergies easily.

Yeh it does make it difficult to get your 5 a day, but vegetables aren't off limits and I find that oranges, grapes, bananas are okay. And when you think of some allergies people are cursed with, I feel lucky that I got off with a measly fruit one!
Yeah, true! Thankfully, I'm not allergic to anything else, to my knowledge. Anyway, I think I'll just leave it and find what I'm comfortable with eating. Thanks for your words of advice!
Zottula
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by CookieGhoul)
Seriously?? Me too!!!
MoonGazer
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I have this problem as well - I never used to as a kid, but the way hayfever (and I am allergic to pretty much most pollens I think, as I get it most of the year) makes my throat and mouth all itchy and such sometimes, I get that with a lot of fruits and though I haven't seen a doctor about it, I can't eate quite acidic stuff like oranges etc either - last time I tried eating one, it felt like my tongue was burning and vinegar is even worse. I just try and avoid all fruit to stay on the safe side.
Intensity
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I have this too. One of the things I'm allergic to is carrots. Who the eff is allergic to carrots?!? I still eat most of the foods and the allergies haven't worsened..

Perhaps stay away from almonds.
CookieGhoul
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
A lot of people are supposedly allergic to almonds :/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (44)
37.93%
No - but I will (4)
3.45%
No - I don't want to (5)
4.31%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (63)
54.31%

Watched Threads