Help with Higher Choices Watch

S119234
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hello,

I'm currently in the process of picking the 5 higher subjects to take in 5th Year. I've not done the SG main exams yet but have done prelims. I got all Credit 1 or 2 marks in my prelims.

I'm almost definitely taking these 3, and probably will take these to Advanced Higher :
- Maths
- English
- History

I'm suck on the other two choices however. I have the option of :
- Modern Studies
- Art
- Chemistry
- Physics

One of them needs to be a science so either Chemistry or Physics. I'm favouring Physics more right now though.

In the future I'm thinking of applying for either Mathematics at Cambridge or Economics at LSE, dependant on results (going for the high jump basically though! )

What would do you reckon would be the best choices ? I'm honestly stumped. :confused:

Thanks
Kelz_26
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
If you think you would manage the workload, Physics and Chemistry would be most beneficial for the courses you have in mind. Two sciences at Higher are very useful for most courses anyway. Or, just choose the subjects you think you would get the highest grades in.
Pedrobear
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Sbhedges)
In the future I'm thinking of applying for either Mathematics at Cambridge or Economics at LSE, dependant on results (going for the high jump basically though! )
oh wow this is such a difficult question then i can see why this thread was necessary ummmmm i think u should do art and RE

just imo tbh dnt take it 2 hart everyone has their opinion but i think may be beneficial 4 ur future

also mybe consider volunteer at farm or zoo? u live in edin? big zoo in edinburhg

let me now how you get on with applications and things

bye
S119234
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pedrobear)
oh wow this is such a difficult question then i can see why this thread was necessary ummmmm i think u should do art and RE

just imo tbh dnt take it 2 hart everyone has their opinion but i think may be beneficial 4 ur future

also mybe consider volunteer at farm or zoo? u live in edin? big zoo in edinburhg

let me now how you get on with applications and things

bye
Hahaha, I love sarcastic posts

Nah, don't live in "Edinburhg", sorry.
chr1stopher11
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
- Modern Studies
- Art
- Chemistry
- Physics

If you are wanting to do maths at university then both physics and chemistry would be hugely beneficial, and you would perhaps need to take one of them to AH for Oxbridge etc.

If I were you I wouldn't take art, not for what you want to do anyway.
Alt__x
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Do modern studies! Everyone who tells you it is a soft subject are idiots. I would like to see them write four essays in an hour and a half!!!
Delaney
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Considering your current ideas, I'd say take both of the sciences. You can always take Modern in 6th year.
christopherp42
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hiya,

Don't worry english uni's do accept modern studies as a subject like any other scottish higher. Regarding modern studies it is a lot of work and trust me it is difficult , as you are planning to take higher history that will help you with modern studies.
draconia_93
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hello,

I'm currently in the process of picking the 5 higher subjects to take in 5th Year. I've not done the SG main exams yet but have done prelims. I got all Credit 1 or 2 marks in my prelims.

I'm almost definitely taking these 3, and probably will take these to Advanced Higher :
- Maths
- English
- History

- Modern Studies
- Art
- Chemistry
- Physics

One of them needs to be a science so either Chemistry or Physics. I'm favouring Physics more right now though.

One of my main concerns is with Modern Studies, I want to take the subject as I was top in my year in terms of prelim results. However, I am very much worried that if I do go to say an English university then they'll not know what Modern Studies is considering it is a Scottish system unique subject.

What would do you reckon would be the best choices ? I'm honestly stumped. :confused:

Thanks
I did Higher Art last year, and it's got a very hard workload (although this is dependent as well on how fast you can work), and as a result I found it quite stressful to get everything finished. I would say though that you could get away with studying it this year considering your other subject choices, but I think Cambridge looks upon it as a 'soft' subject. On the other hand, Modern Studies is accepted as a strong subject, as it's not included in this list by Cambridge/LSE (old article but relevant). As for the sciences, I have no idea.
Inlineadam
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Go for Physics!

Physics is actually really fun. Ok, yes obviously a challenging subject, but of all the exam papers its the most fun! Most of the questions relate to a real life situation -> In my prelim i had to work out how high a boy would travel after going off a slide... i mean... for me thats just an awesome questioN!

Ronda
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by draconia_93)
I did Higher Art last year, and it's got a very hard workload (although this is dependent as well on how fast you can work), and as a result I found it quite stressful to get everything finished. I would say though that you could get away with studying it this year considering your other subject choices, but I think Cambridge looks upon it as a 'soft' subject. On the other hand, Modern Studies is accepted as a strong subject, as it's not included in this list by Cambridge/LSE (old article but relevant). As for the sciences, I have no idea.
I took higher art, and I agree it was quite a big workload. And since it can be so subjective it can be difficult to get an A in (I got an A for Higher then no-award for AH, apparently I got worse over the year :rolleyes:). However, it did not affect me getting offers from Scottish unis, but I don't know whether it'd be the case for Cambridge/whatever.

If you're worried about Modern Studies, you could try email uni departments to see what they say? There's not a list (that I've come anyways) that has a soft subject list for Scottish highers, only A-levels (including your link above :p:)

As for sciences, if you're only taking one, I'd go for whatever you feel most comfortable doing or whatever you're more interested in. They're both looked at as good subjects so you're better off trying to go for the best marks you can. If you do hear back about MS not being really acceptable, then you could always take both. Although, if you are taking 4 'difficult' highers I don't think it should be an issue as most English unis would look at AHs anyways.
derangedyoshi
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
My advice would be Physics and then either Chemistry or Modern Studies. No offence to anyone that does Art (I have friends that do it and I know it's hard work), but I think Cambridge might not love it for Maths. Definitely Physics though, and probably AH if you want to do Cambridge Maths - they recommend it strongly, especially since there's no Further Maths in Scotland. I would go for Chemistry over Modern Studies, since you already have 2 essay subjects and you ideally want to avoid a horrendous workload, but Modern Studies would be fine I'm sure. It's up to you in the end - take what you think you would enjoy more and what you would do better in.

One more word of caution: Higher History is not easy. At all. Don't be put off if you like it and you're good at it, but it is not easy. We were quizzing one of the teachers over prelim results, and she used words like "bombed" and "carnage" to describe some of them . It's manageable, but you will need to work very hard.
anyone_can_fly
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I think you need physics (or otherwise it's 'Highly Recommended') to do maths at Cambridge. In case you're worried that they won't like art, I know someone who took it instead of English for higher and is now doing vet medicine at Cambridge.
draconia_93
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Ronda)
I took higher art, and I agree it was quite a big workload. And since it can be so subjective it can be difficult to get an A in (I got an A for Higher then no-award for AH, apparently I got worse over the year :rolleyes:). However, it did not affect me getting offers from Scottish unis, but I don't know whether it'd be the case for Cambridge/whatever.

If you're worried about Modern Studies, you could try email uni departments to see what they say? There's not a list (that I've come anyways) that has a soft subject list for Scottish highers, only A-levels (including your link above :p:)

As for sciences, if you're only taking one, I'd go for whatever you feel most comfortable doing or whatever you're more interested in. They're both looked at as good subjects so you're better off trying to go for the best marks you can. If you do hear back about MS not being really acceptable, then you could always take both. Although, if you are taking 4 'difficult' highers I don't think it should be an issue as most English unis would look at AHs anyways.
Wow, that's quite a big difference - must be awful to put in so much work and not even get a grade for it! :eek: I hated my art being judged like that by other people, one of the reasons I wasn't crazy brave enough to take AH.

That reminds me OP, you're not guaranteed an A even if you're predicted one. Many of the people who took Higher Art last year were predicted A1, A2, B3...ended up with about 5 people actually getting As, with most Bs and Cs. Just fair warning if you do decide to take it.

(Original post by anyone_can_fly)
I think you need physics (or otherwise it's 'Highly Recommended') to do maths at Cambridge. In case you're worried that they won't like art, I know someone who took it instead of English for higher and is now doing vet medicine at Cambridge.
Call me nosy (and off topic ) but how come you're doing Advanced Higher Maths a year early?
Ronda
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Wow, that's quite a big difference - must be awful to put in so much work and not even get a grade for it! :eek: I hated my art being judged like that by other people, one of the reasons I wasn't crazy brave enough to take AH.

That reminds me OP, you're not guaranteed an A even if you're predicted one. Many of the people who took Higher Art last year were predicted A1, A2, B3...ended up with about 5 people actually getting As, with most Bs and Cs. Just fair warning if you do decide to take it.

Call me nosy (and off topic ) but how come you're doing Advanced Higher Maths a year early?
It was pretty annoying, but thankfully I didn't need it cause I already had an unconditional :p: It would have been nice to at least get a D so it actually acknowledged the amount of work I put in! My art teacher keeps apologizing to me for failing though, I have no idea why. She thinks the reason I did was maybe because it was more stylised than realistic? I dunno.

And in my 5th year for higher, everyone bar me failed or got a C (there was only 10 of us mind you), even when the teacher predicted another A and a couple of Bs.. I mean this girl had an amazing design which both the teachers thought was the best in the year and both predicted a good A for it, and it was given a fail (I think her expressive and exam brought it up to a C, which was odd cause the general opinion was that was weaker, but it's all down to opinion at the end of the day which is why if you're looking for good grades I'd be careful with it unless you're the next Picasso :p:!)
S119234
Rep:
?
Thanks everyone for the responses, very helpful! ,

I picked Modern Studies and Physics in the end.
draconia_93
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Ronda)
It was pretty annoying, but thankfully I didn't need it cause I already had an unconditional :p: It would have been nice to at least get a D so it actually acknowledged the amount of work I put in! My art teacher keeps apologizing to me for failing though, I have no idea why. She thinks the reason I did was maybe because it was more stylised than realistic? I dunno.

And in my 5th year for higher, everyone bar me failed or got a C (there was only 10 of us mind you), even when the teacher predicted another A and a couple of Bs.. I mean this girl had an amazing design which both the teachers thought was the best in the year and both predicted a good A for it, and it was given a fail (I think her expressive and exam brought it up to a C, which was odd cause the general opinion was that was weaker, but it's all down to opinion at the end of the day which is why if you're looking for good grades I'd be careful with it unless you're the next Picasso :p:!)
I sometimes think that teachers grade work far too highly, or maybe the examiners are just too harsh. I had been unsure whether to take it or AH English last year (my school had awful columns, hence I only got to take two AHs) but in the end decided that English would be more enjoyable and (slightly) less stressful.

Ach, don't mention Picasso! I had an art teacher who was literally obsessed with the guy. :lolwut: It was a little worrying sometimes.
Ronda
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I sometimes think that teachers grade work far too highly, or maybe the examiners are just too harsh. I had been unsure whether to take it or AH English last year (my school had awful columns, hence I only got to take two AHs) but in the end decided that English would be more enjoyable and (slightly) less stressful.

Ach, don't mention Picasso! I had an art teacher who was literally obsessed with the guy. :lolwut: It was a little worrying sometimes.
My art teacher did AH marking though so she knew a bit about the working. And she was never afraid to tell you your work was utter crap as well :lol: The other art teacher wasn't as good or helpful but still. I think unless your work is really realistic or what is generically (I hate to use that word in this context but hopefully you get what I mean) good then you sometimes need to be a bit lucky in regards to who marks your work.

My schools columns were stupid too. Like I wanted to take AH computing, art and physics and they were all in the same column :closedeyes: And it's not as if they offer a lot of AHs! Computing ended up getting moved, and I was allowed to do art during my free period so it all worked out I guess :p:

Haha :p: One of our art teachers was a bit strange. He always had a weird story to tell about absolutely anything. Sometimes you'd wish he'd shhh so you could just get on with the work!
draconia_93
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Ronda)
My art teacher did AH marking though so she knew a bit about the working. And she was never afraid to tell you your work was utter crap as well :lol: The other art teacher wasn't as good or helpful but still. I think unless your work is really realistic or what is generically (I hate to use that word in this context but hopefully you get what I mean) good then you sometimes need to be a bit lucky in regards to who marks your work.

My schools columns were stupid too. Like I wanted to take AH computing, art and physics and they were all in the same column :closedeyes: And it's not as if they offer a lot of AHs! Computing ended up getting moved, and I was allowed to do art during my free period so it all worked out I guess :p:

Haha :p: One of our art teachers was a bit strange. He always had a weird story to tell about absolutely anything. Sometimes you'd wish he'd shhh so you could just get on with the work!
I think schools do that deliberately with columns, just to annoy us. A lot of the good AHs were in the exact same column too, just like in your school.

That guy sounds like one of the teachers who used to be in our school. You'd ask him something and then he'd change the subject and talk about something random for about 20 minutes. After that you'd forget what you'd even asked him!
anyone_can_fly
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I hate whoever does the columns in my school with a passion. We've only done a straw poll for our sixth year choices so far, and I filled up the little 'additional information' box with a begging letter to them to not put physics and French in the same column. Not sure it'll work, though.

Well, I spent six months in Malaysia in second year cos of my mum's work, and they were quite far ahead, so I ended up learning a fair bit of the standard grade stuff - things like indices and basic trig. Then when I got back, half the time I did stuff with the rest of the class and the other half I'd do completely random extension stuff. I got a bit fed up with how easy the SG bits were, and most of the extension stuff was just reading online articles, so I asked my teacher if I could do higher a year early, and after I argued a while, he gave in. So now I'm doing advanced higher.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (315)
37.77%
No - but I will (64)
7.67%
No - I don't want to (62)
7.43%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (393)
47.12%

Watched Threads