The Student Room Group

How to wear dungarees - or should I not even try?

OK, so I recently went to a musical-themed fancy dress party for a friend's 18th. I went as Donna from Mamma Mia, so I bought a pair of indigo denim dungarees from a vintage clothing website (the label says they were originally from Gap) and wore them with a white shirt and trainers like Meryl Streep in the film. Everyone at the party said they really liked them.

I spent £25 on the dungarees, so I'd quite like to wear them again, and I've heard that they're going to be on trend this year. However, I'm not sure what one is supposed to wear with them. Any ideas?

I'm a 17-year-old girl, average height, size 10/12 - do you think I can pull this off without looking like I'm still in fancy dress?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by whatsername2009

OK, so I recently went to a musical-themed fancy dress party for a friend's 18th. I went as Donna from Mamma Mia, so I bought a pair of indigo denim dungarees from a vintage clothing website (the label says they were originally from Gap) and wore them with a white shirt and trainers like Meryl Streep in the film. Everyone at the party said they really liked them.

I spent £25 on the dungarees, so I'd quite like to wear them again, and I've heard that they're going to be on trend this year. However, I'm not sure what one is supposed to wear with them. Any ideas?

I'm a 17-year-old girl, average height, size 10/12 - do you think I can pull this off without looking like I'm still in fancy dress?

I would never EVER wear dungarees, even for fancy dress!

I don't think it's a look anyone over the age of 6 can pull off... sorry!
Reply 2
You might be able to...
when dunagress were around a while back most of the models wearing them wore the asymmetricaly (like only one arm fastened) or essentially like jeans with the top part not secured at all, so maybe you could try doing that?

We may need pics to decide though (sorry ahahah)
Don't wear it.
Oh wait, you're not a guy? I thought you were because i didn't read your post. i guess it can look trendy on a girl:holmes:
Reply 5
My mum made me wear them when I was like 2.

I'm currently planning her 'suicide'
Reply 6
I saw a girl wearing some when I went out on friday and they looked pretty silly. I don't know I guess some people can pull them off but personally I would avoid.
Original post by greeneyedgirl
I would never EVER wear dungarees, even for fancy dress!

Hey, they weren't that bad :colondollar: And what else could I have gone as? Dorothy?

I would upload a picture but I don't have any of the dungarees on their own and I'd rather not post a picture of myself online. Not quite the same, but similar, are these: http://www.rokit.co.uk/product.php?product_id=MC651204

Any idea what I could wear them with?
Reply 8
i don't think anyone can wear dungarees without looking like eminem
Reply 9
I wore that sort of thing when I was 3. Compared to some of the other stuff I wore (yellow knitted trousers sent over from a well-meaning German relative :awesome:) it was the height of chic.

I'd never wear them again tbh - it'd just remind me of being 3! Maybe you can keep them for lazy days/time spent in foreign countries where nobody knows you/other fancy dress parties?
Reply 10
Hey, they weren't that bad :colondollar: And what else could I have gone as? Dorothy?

I would upload a picture but I don't have any of the dungarees on their own and I'd rather not post a picture of myself online. Not quite the same, but similar, are these: http://www.rokit.co.uk/product.php?product_id=MC651204

If I were you (going by the responses on this thread) I'd just wear them round the house on weekends/comfy revision clothes or the like
When I'm doing the 40's look I'll wear them with a red short sleeve shirt with the cuffs rolled up and my hair in victory rolls and a scarf.

Unless you're particularly 'styled' then I wouldn't recommend them.

I used to wear them when I was 16 - but without the straps on at all and I thought I looked ****-hot. Oh hindsight is a wonderful thing lmao.

They definitely look like fancy dress if you tried to wear them out normally. Only tiny models, with skinny jeaned dungarees that are too long so rolled at the leg, with sky high heels and white tees could dream of pulling off dungarees irl. And then theyd look like try-hards unless in LA.

Fine work-wear for washing the car, painting the house or gardening. Going to see friends or shopping? never. Even the dungaree-dress I had aged 14 was dubious and that had like a wrap-skirt so was pretty removed from dungarees.
I wear dungarees! Mine are short though, so maybe that's why I don't feel 6 in them. I usually wear a T-shirt under them (long or short depending on the weather) and a cardigan over the top. I think a thin jumper underneath can look good too.

Witch from Wicked would have been good fun =D

Erm please don't wear those except for painting the house...it's just NOT a wearable look!
LoL I must be the only person who ACTUALLY liked wearing dungarees - they were the most comfortable piece of clothing I wore as a kid. I dunno if I would try it now @ the tender age of 20 something :ninjagirl: lol.
Reply 16
Hey people, dungarees looks great if you wear it properly - not the baggy eminem ones!!! you can get skinny fit ones that look more like a denim catsuit, pair up with platformed heels, n a bikini top or a t-shirt, looks sexy n great!
You need to get the right style , baggy ones look like the ones our mothers used to put on us! But if you have a look on the catwalk, Ralph Lauren, prada to levies have amazing ranges!!!
Don't say no cos the first thought is of when u were a child!!! :biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)
Wow, I cant believe the response to dungarees on here! I love them, dont know where everyones from but up here (cumbria) dungarees are very popular and I personally think they look great...I have some myself!
So I think you should wear them :smile: with a tshirt or just a vest underneath x
I'd say either cut the legs off and make them short, or turn them into a dress with the help of a sewing machine. They're probably more workable if you take a bit off the denim away.
Reply 19
I think they're cool.
I think that thet are tricky to pull off, but it can be done, and they are very "in" at the moment.
I have a vintage pair, and always get a decent reaction..... :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending