interview for Ancient History, what to expect? Watch

FoolForYou
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hi all,

ok so I applied to do Ancient History at Royal Holloway and they've offered me an interview: 20 minutes, informal, part of this visit day.

The majority of my friends are applying for science and maths subjects so their interviews and questions and experiences are obviously very different from what mine will be.

I'm just wondering, what can I expect in an interview for Ancient History?

I've re-read the books on my personal statement and am fairly confident on that front but other than that I have no idea what's gonna happen, will they ask me the dates for events? or expect me to quote Plato? or what?

anyone had such an experience before?
just really, any information at all will be helpful!!

thanks in advance
and free Burma
Sempiternitas
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I applied for Classics and had an interview on ancient history at Oxford. I was given a passage by Livy (in the English translation) and had twenty minutes to look at it. All of the tutor's questions were based on the passage, but I found it very useful to have some knowledge about Roman history and social structure to put things into context.

Of course things might be very different at Royal Holloway. But in general I think you'd be asked about topics mentioned in your personal statement. They wouldn't expect you to know everything about ancient history; what matters most, I believe, is your analytical skills. And they definitely wouldn't ask you to recite the whole timeline on the spot!
rqcm
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I have an interview for classics at Royal Holloway in a couple of weeks, but my friend had one the other week and he said it was pretty informal, mainly asked about what he did on his AS/A2 course and asked about things he'd mentioned on his personal statement
rqcm
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I have an interview for classics at Royal Holloway in a couple of weeks, but my friend had one the other week and he said it was pretty informal, mainly asked about what he did on his AS/A2 course and asked about things he'd mentioned on his personal statement basically i'm guessing it will be similar for ancient history, similar course and same lectureres
HarrietAddy
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I have an interview for Ancient History tomorrow at Royal Holloway and I am so scared I read some books for my personal statement but I wouldn't say I have a 'solid' grounding of Ancient History I just know I love it!!!! I hope they aren't going to grill me....
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (249)
38.97%
No - but I will (44)
6.89%
No - I don't want to (47)
7.36%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (299)
46.79%

Watched Threads