DMU Accommodation 2011 Watch

AbercrombieDude
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hey which are you thinking of applying for ? im thinking Gosling court or Grosvenor house. Really excited!
shereez234
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
i think for me victoria hall or bede hall... any comments or experiences on them??:rolleyes:
AJWB
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Victoria is apparently very good.

Bede is where the parties are at.

I'm at Newarke Point which isn't great but nice and close to everything.
shereez234
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by AJWB)
Victoria is apparently very good.

Bede is where the parties are at.

I'm at Newarke Point which isn't great but nice and close to everything.
"where the parties are"

what do you mean by that?:confused:
AJWB
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by shereez234)
"where the parties are"

what do you mean by that?:confused:
The flats are big with lots of people sharing so they're known to be very sociable halls. If you don't drink and are coming to uni to spend your time working, Bede probably isn't the right hall for you.
shereez234
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by AJWB)
The flats are big with lots of people sharing so they're known to be very sociable halls. If you don't drink and are coming to uni to spend your time working, Bede probably isn't the right hall for you.

thanks, really helpful information
Charley_Razzles
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm at Victoria halls, it's good here.

There are quite a few downsides like the walls and floors/ceilings are really thin, i'm on the 5th floor and the guys above my flat do stupid things which make a lot of noise lol, plus for pre-drinks and things it has to be quiet or the complaints start. And flat inspections are a *****, I know all halls have these though so thats a universal downside haha. Plus next year it's going up to £100 p/w for a standard but internet is included in that price. But every room has a en-suite which is a definite upside and the rooms are quite big too, more then what I was expecting. And secruity here is great although people still manage to tailgate into the halls. The staff here are good at sorting out problems, like hot water, broken lights etc

Overall pretty good lol
shereez234
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Charley_Razzles)

Plus next year it's going up to £100 p/w for a standard but internet is included in that price. But every room has a en-suite which is a definite upside and the rooms are quite big too, more then what I was expecting.

Overall pretty good lol
guess for example i chose victoria.. and 100 p/w room.. so does the price remains same for me ( 100 p/w) the following years too??

and if i choose a 100 p/w room the total cost for 1 year contract will be 4200.. but then the booking fee of 250 and advance payment of 200 is there.. is it extra to 4200 or deducted from that?
Charley_Razzles
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
guess for example i chose victoria.. and 100 p/w room.. so does the price remains same for me ( 100 p/w) the following years too??

and if i choose a 100 p/w room the total cost for 1 year contract will be 4200.. but then the booking fee of 250 and advance payment of 200 is there.. is it extra to 4200 or deducted from that?
No, if you stay here again if the price goes up that's what you pay either way, like i'm staying here this year and it was something lik £94 p/w but because i'm applying for here next year too, I have to pay the new academic year price which is £100 p/w.

Well not exactly, the full price is £4200 for the £100 p/w, that's £200 upon booking then £2000 in August and again in January, or £200 upon booking and £4000 (- something like 3%) in August depending if you are paying all in one or not. But the £200 is deducted from the rent it isn't extra =)

But if you are looking for a place to stay that costs less each year you stay there, Oxford Court does that. And it's right near the SU. Don't know what it's like living there though lol.

If any of that makes sense haha
Vulgar Monkey
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I was looking on the DMU site today on unrelated matters, trying to figure out if they're meant to send out online booking logins once you firm it or if they wait for the actual process to begin in a day or two.

Didn't see a clear answer, but I did notice that apparently all halls are signle-sex. Did that strike anyone as odd? I'd have expected a combination (some single, a couple mixed), considering that they have 5 or 6 buildings, if for no other reason than simple logistics. Last year they had big problems with accomodation, and I'd have thought they wouldn't want to waste a single space this time.

Anyway, not saying it's a disappointment as such, I can see just as many pros/cons with single-sex, but I wondered if anyone knows if that's per corridor, per floor or what? Seems like it'd be the best of both worlds if it was easy enough to have people mix when they feel like it. Add a bit of a different social dynamic.

May as well ask while I'm here, too: Anyone feel there are key differences between the buildings that are worth summarising? I'm unlikely to get the chance to look them over in person, and the website leaves a lot to the imagination, but cost aside I was under the impression that halls are fairly identikit? The few I've seen at mates unis always have been.

edit:
Just booked myself in to Grozzy House, block E.....3rd floor, I expect. Right next to my faculty building, and the polar bear, and seemed to have the best all round combination of good points. Not the best on some, but a good balance.
Needless to say though, I splashed out the extra 200 quid for a deluxe, so if anyone else wanted it, err, tough.
fionalkf
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Charley_Razzles)

There are quite a few downsides like the walls and floors/ceilings are really thin, i'm on the 5th floor and the guys above my flat do stupid things which make a lot of noise lol, plus for pre-drinks and things it has to be quiet or the complaints start. And flat inspections are a *****, I know all halls have these though so thats a universal downside haha. Plus next year it's going up to £100 p/w for a standard but internet is included in that price. But every room has a en-suite which is a definite upside and the rooms are quite big too, more then what I was expecting. And secruity here is great although people still manage to tailgate into the halls. The staff here are good at sorting out problems, like hot water, broken lights etc

Overall pretty good lol
Hi Charley_Razzles
I am planning to book a room at Victoria halls, which blocks do you think have good view, or the park view and off the main road? Thanks.
Charley_Razzles
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by fionalkf)
Hi Charley_Razzles
I am planning to book a room at Victoria halls, which blocks do you think have good view, or the park view and off the main road? Thanks.
Sorry but LOL! There isn't a park view in Viccy Halls, there's main road, not so main road, quiet road or church with graveyard view haha. I'm in E block and from my bedroom window I can see the Church/graveyard [Lovely thing to wake up to btw, haha] but the kitchen/living room is the really noisy main road. It isn't so bad in E block, i'm quite high up [second from top floor] so it isn't as noticable as say from the ground floor. As for the other blocks I don't really know. I know C block is either noisy main road or views into the Victoria Hall 'courtyard' [which is really just a car park] E block is good. From what I know of C block that's quite good too except on the ground floor, well any block ground floors because thats where the door to the blocks are and people come and go at all hours and the doors bang, I think the best floor to be on if possible is top, because it's high up enough that traffic is a mostly a background noise and you don't hear the 'front door' bang and there's no banging from the floors above [which is soooo annoying]. A block is right next to the laundry room so ground floor on A block probably isn't the best place to pick haha.

Of course others will have different ideas of which the best blocks are but I definitley recommend E. I know hardly any of this is what you asked lol, but I hope it makes sense.

Any other questions let me know

=)
shereez234
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Of course others will have different ideas of which the best blocks are but I definitley recommend E. I know hardly any of this is what you asked lol, but I hope it makes sense.

Any other questions let me know

=)
hey i have booked and i got VH-D-6-4.. can you explain me what it means? i couldn't get a room in E block. its already full but its the second day of booking.. may be because you recommended it here
Randeep91
Report 8 years ago
Got an unconditional offer for Pharmacy at DMU and just booked a room at Bede Hall (BD-A-2-08). Just wondering if anyone else is going there? Not liking the single sex accommodation though.
Ella1992
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Im planning on booking a room soon =)
Can anyone say what parking is like at any of the accommodation?
Tatty_
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
hey i have booked and i got VH-D-6-4.. can you explain me what it means? i couldn't get a room in E block. its already full but its the second day of booking.. may be because you recommended it here

This means you are in victoria halls, block D, floor 6, flat 4 i believe !

i booked my room NP-C-3-3-D
shereez234
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Tatty_)
This means you are in victoria halls, block D, floor 6, flat 4 i believe !

i booked my room NP-C-3-3-D
thanks tatty. i wanted rhe sixth floor anyway
Vulgar Monkey
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Randeep91)
Got an unconditional offer for Pharmacy at DMU and just booked a room at Bede Hall (BD-A-2-08). Just wondering if anyone else is going there? Not liking the single sex accommodation though.
Dunno about the other buildings, but the online booking indicated that grozzy house is single sex on a per 'flat' basis, with each 'flat' consisting of 6-ish rooms. But there's quite a few of those within each block, some m some f, so in effect you've still got mixed sex floors, so it should be easy enough for people to mix regardless of living arrangements.

Seems like a good balance. Guys have their good points, so do the girls, but it'd be a bit less interesting to have one without the other. But with this layout you still have your own little area to retreat to any time you want to be unselfconsciously crude or just slob around.
shereez234
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
no elevators in any halls?:confused:
DanDraper2410
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Grosvenor House

Gh-D-10a
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• De Montfort University
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 5 Jun '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (558)
37.83%
No - but I will (115)
7.8%
No - I don't want to (103)
6.98%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (699)
47.39%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise