is £30 a good price for this phone? Watch

gay4justinbeiber
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
i kinda got an erection over this fake blackberry thing i saw when the argos catalogue came through. i haven't bought a phone for 3 years so i really don't know what phones are sayin nowadays. is this worth 30 squids? and what is GPRS internet? would i be able to access the internet outside of my home?

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/st...ProductReviews

any feedback is appreciated, thanks in advance!
gay4justinbeiber
Rep:
?
or £70 for one of these?

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...uctInformation

gay4justinbeiber
Rep:
?
or £70 for one of these?

Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
GPRS and EDGE are how phones used to receive internet before 3G took off, it's old in every sense of the word. I'm not sure you can even get EDGE coverage in the UK anymore.

Meh, average phone is average. You could probably get a proper blackberry for that price now that they're dying a death.
gay4justinbeiber
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gofre)
GPRS and EDGE are how phones used to receive internet before 3G took off, it's old in every sense of the word. I'm not sure you can even get EDGE coverage in the UK anymore.

Meh, average phone is average. You could probably get a proper blackberry for that price now that they're dying a death.
does the internet still work properly? or will i have to wait like a minute for a page to load? lol..

and i can get a blackberry for £30? WHERE
Gofre
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by gay4justinbeiber)
does the internet still work properly? or will i have to wait like a minute for a page to load? lol..

From my experience with GPRS, it will be pretty slow. And I was exaggerating about Blackberry prices (Doesn't come across well over the internet =P), cheap BBs still sit around the £100 mark on PAYG, but they are free if you take out anything but the cheapest contract. You're better off getting a decent one for a bit more than a knock-off.
ArjunT
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

yes you literally will have to wait a minute for a page to load, imaging having dial up all over again, thats what GPRS is like.

You could probably get a cheap blackberry from ebay or CEX. Its probably best that you check on cex and ebay if your set at a £30 budget.
gay4justinbeiber
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gofre)
From my experience with GPRS, it will be pretty slow. And I was exaggerating about Blackberry prices (Doesn't come across well over the internet =P), cheap BBs still sit around the £100 mark on PAYG, but they are free if you take out anything but the cheapest contract. You're better off getting a decent one for a bit more than a knock-off.
bruv i'm so broke it's madness. i argos'd and carphone warehouse'd blackberries and the cheapest was like £130 or something. i'm willing to spend a maximum of £70 on a phone rofl.

are ebay phones reliable? i'm gonna give blackberry a quick search (wouldn't mind a fake blackberry or a decent smartphone though).
didgeridoo12uk
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
take a look http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/mobile-pho...view-49305895/
i personally couldn't live with it. but if £30 is your budget then its not bad
Delaney
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
bruv i'm so broke it's madness. i argos'd and carphone warehouse'd blackberries and the cheapest was like £130 or something. i'm willing to spend a maximum of £70 on a phone rofl.

are ebay phones reliable? i'm gonna give blackberry a quick search (wouldn't mind a fake blackberry or a decent smartphone though).
Push your budget up to £100 and get an Orange San Fransisco.
smc2010
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Gofre)

lol of course you can still get EDGE but it's PAINFULLY SLOW (trust me, i have an iPhone) !!
Gofre
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by smc2010)
lol of course you can still get EDGE but it's PAINFULLY SLOW (trust me, i have an iPhone) !!
Haha I've gone all over the country with mine and never once gotten EDGE coverage =P
WelshBluebird
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Gofre)

Actually, we never really had EDGE in the UK before 3G.
As far as I am aware, it only really started to be rolled out about 5 years ago, probably as a ware to give customers better access than GPRS where you couldn't get 3G.
And yes, you can get EDGE in quite a few places.
gay4justinbeiber
Rep:
?
actually nevermind.. my hoe said she'll buy me a BB curve
Lord Jon
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

I know Blackberry is your main thing you are looking for.

But try a cheap Android phone. Loads for under £100 and if you buy it off eBay or somewhere where you get phones cheaper you may get it even cheaper.

Good luck
musi_1993
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
dude buy you a f***ing proper phone. These ones break within 6 months lol.
gay4justinbeiber
Rep:
?
lol yeah i'm getting a BB curve, but i really want to know why my OP got negged.

i really don't give a **** about this whole green/red rep system because i don't post to impress other members. i just want to know why somebody would be pissed off at a reasonable question. i'm only asking for some advice, calm down lol.
lonelykatana
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
actually nevermind.. my hoe said she'll buy me a BB curve
You are such a
lonelykatana
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by didgeridoo12uk)
take a look http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/mobile-pho...view-49305895/
i personally couldn't live with it. but if £30 is your budget then its not bad
The user reviews sum up the type of person who buys this phone.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (260)
38.92%
No - but I will (45)
6.74%
No - I don't want to (49)
7.34%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (314)
47.01%

Watched Threads