0%
stick with geography (1)
50%
Diety
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I am currently making my AS-level choices. I want to study Theology at university.
At the moment, I have put down:

RS
Philosophy
History
Geography

I have two problems that maybe you could help me with:

1: Will doing these subjects mean that I am over whelmed with coursework?

2: Geography is the only one of these options that I might want to change, purely because the course at A-level does not look nearly as interesting as it is at GCSE. I guess the main reason I'm doing it is because I am getting As and it is a 'hard' subject which I am told it is good to have. The only subject I'm open to swap with Geography is Government and Politics because I have an interest in current affairs and politics in particular. I was just wondering if you could tell me what the course involves at AS-level, if you enjoy it and why and if universities consider it a 'soft' subject because I don't want to do too many 'soft' subjects (don't know if RS and philosophy are considered soft). Also, do you think politics and history complement each other or are they too similar.

Grateful for any advice, :confused:
TheOriginalAng
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Before I start, everything I say here will be what I've heard, not experienced.
Make no mistake, it will be a massive amount of work. A lot of my friends didn't like geography.
But if you're good at it, may as well just do it because grades will be very important, at the end of the day. I do think it may be a bit much though.
Politics and history arn't too similar, really, or they'd be combined to 1 subject

Also, welcome to TSR and enjoy :yy:
lankymax
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
From what my friends studying it experienced, geography seemed to give a lot of coursework. Perhaps if you don't think it looks as interesting as GCSE, perhaps trying Politics would be more beneficial to you?

Politics Vs History. A friend studied both and had no issues. The essay techniques you learn in one may help you in the other and vice versa .

Either way with those subjects you should be sorted for your theology afterwards at university (assuming you still want to study it then).

Hope this wasn't too much useless info.
Hello, I'm Awesome
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Diety)
I am currently making my AS-level choices. I want to study Theology at university.
At the moment, I have put down:

RS
Philosophy
History
Geography

I have two problems that maybe you could help me with:

1: Will doing these subjects mean that I am over whelmed with coursework?

2: Geography is the only one of these options that I might want to change, purely because the course at A-level does not look nearly as interesting as it is at GCSE. I guess the main reason I'm doing it is because I am getting As and it is a 'hard' subject which I am told it is good to have. The only subject I'm open to swap with Geography is Government and Politics because I have an interest in current affairs and politics in particular. I was just wondering if you could tell me what the course involves at AS-level, if you enjoy it and why and if universities consider it a 'soft' subject because I don't want to do too many 'soft' subjects (don't know if RS and philosophy are considered soft). Also, do you think politics and history complement each other or are they too similar.

Grateful for any advice, :confused:
If you want to study Theology then RS and Philosophy won't be considered soft. They are both good subjects, I took RS at school and found it great.

I wouldn't advise you take Geography though, its unrelated and hardly analytical. Furthermore its a complete BORE, I took it and dropped it. Politics might be a better approach, and I wouldn't worry too much with regard to hard/soft subjects because the related bits to your course are taken anyway. I know people in my school who did pretty much what you chose and ended up going to Kings which is great for philosophy related courses apparently.

Unless you're aiming super high (Oxford maybe), the subjects you've taken seem ok. Concentrate on grades, the work load is high regardless of what you choose (but if you're interested in the subject the work load feels much less). Therefore, don't take Geography.. it will feel like 2 irrelevant AS levels.
sparkii--xx
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
i am currently taking a2 geo, there is no coursework. loved it at gcse but may have more to do with the teacher. hate it now, so boring especially physical geography. but theres is a lot of flexibility in the spec, for example so far i have only been assessed on human modules and some of my firends have only be assessed on physical modules. i nearly dropped it at As, my teached disliked after getting a D in jan module but resit and surpisingly got an A at the end of the year. depends on the course, for chemistry whcih i intend to study next year its on the preferred list.

the combination of as depends on what you what to study at uni but don't close to many doors. studying the subject at as will really change you mind on your degree course. i hated chemistry at GCse only took it because i wanted to be a forensic scientist but love it and now want to my masters degree and phd then go into chemical industrial.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (312)
37.68%
No - but I will (64)
7.73%
No - I don't want to (62)
7.49%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (390)
47.1%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise