Why is there no UK version of Geert Wilders? Watch

Poll: Democracy in the uk needs a 'geert wilders'.
I Agree (5)
33.33%
I Disagree (10)
66.67%
tleave2000
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Given that the uk population is actually more concerned about immigration than any other country in the world (see BBC News survey below), how come we have no serious political party that champions the policies that these people are expressing support for?

BBC News

It seems to me that whether you agree with geert or not, there is a large section of uk society whose views are not being represented by our political system because we have no politician like him.

In a democracy there should be no such thing as an unrepresented point of view, certainly not on the scale indicated by the survey. These views need representation if we are to call ourselves a democracy.
Seanisonfire
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Eh? Fine, you can argue that the political system doesn't represent views properly but you can't blame it because a certain person or party doesn't exist.
Prudy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by tleave2000)
Given that the uk population is actually more concerned about immigration than any other country in the world (see BBC News survey below), how come we have no serious political party that champions the policies that these people are expressing support for?

BBC News

It seems to me that whether you agree with geert or not, there is a large section of uk society whose views are not being represented by our political system because we have no politician like him.

In a democracy there should be no such thing as an unrepresented point of view, certainly not on the scale indicated by the survey. These views need representation if we are to call ourselves a democracy.
The BNP have 2 MEPs, they're pretty serious as a party.
dkuni
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It's my view that everyone in britain should get double pay and the price of food should halve. Why is there no representation for my completely uneducated view in politics? Surely even though I have no idea how to run a country, the people who do run the country should follow what I think?
tleave2000
Rep:
?
(Original post by dkuni)
It's my view that everyone in britain should get double pay and the price of food should halve. Why is there no representation for my completely uneducated view in politics? Surely even though I have no idea how to run a country, the people who do run the country should follow what I think?
If 40-60% of the population held that same view then yes the people who run the country would have to listen to you.

You just found out what democracy means.

Free debate is the method by which democracy ensures that voters are educated about the decisions that they make. We haven't had a free debate on immigration, without the stigma of racism stifling the debate, certainly for a long time or maybe ever in this country.

The ban on wilder's entry into the country is one example of how the debate has been stifled and why this massive unrepresented opinion has been allowed to build up.
B-Man.
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Because we have lunatic asylum's here.
Liam 09
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Because there are not enough people here who would back such views to the extent that they are a force in UK politics.
zxh800
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Ever heard of Nick Griffin?
student101
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
with intelligent pearls of wisdom like:

referring to Muslims as “scum – that is what they are.”

Yes of course every country should have its own Geert Wilders!

You really should dig a bit deeper to find out who someone is, what they actually stand for and who is backing them before you give them your support and claim that they represent you.

Watch http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...Dangerous_Man/ Gert Wilders - Europes most dangerous man, available to watch on BBC iPlayer until 8pm on Monday, 21st February.
tleave2000
Rep:
?
(Original post by student101)
referring to Muslims as “scum – that is what they are.”

Yes of course every country should have its own Geert Wilders!

Watch Geert Wilders Europe's Most Dangerous Man, available to watch on BBC iPlayer until 8pm on Monday, 21st February.
Hm just watched the documentary.

On a technicality, he was referring to armed robbers when he said scum. He had just quoted a statistic that 70% or armed robberies in the netherlands were committed by immigrants from islamic countries. So I see what you're saying and accept your point.

I think he always sounded more dangerous when his political opponents were talking about him than when he was talking about his policies himself. Not really surprising I suppose.

If you're interested in looking into it yourself, then you should watch the BBC hard talk interview with geert wilders if you haven't already.

Also I wasn't claiming that he represents me, just pointing out that the views expressed in the survey are closer to his views than to any viable uk political party.

(Original post by zxh800)
Ever heard of Nick Griffin?
(Original post by Prudy)
The BNP have 2 MEPs, they're pretty serious as a party.
It sounds like you think the anti immigration people in the surveys should vote bnp. Seems a bit of a dangerous recommendation considering they were 25-60% of the people asked depending on the particular question.

(Original post by Liam 09)
Because there are not enough people here who would back such views to the extent that they are a force in UK politics.
I don't know if you checked out the statistics in the link in the op, but there are plenty of people with those views.
Prudy
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hm just watched the documentary.

On a technicality, he was referring to armed robbers when he said scum. He had just quoted a statistic that 70% or armed robberies in the netherlands were committed by immigrants from islamic countries. So I see what you're saying and accept your point.

I think he always sounded more dangerous when his political opponents were talking about him than when he was talking about his policies himself. Not really surprising I suppose.

If you're interested in looking into it yourself, then you should watch the BBC hard talk interview with geert wilders if you haven't already.

Also I wasn't claiming that he represents me, just pointing out that the views expressed in the survey are closer to his views than to any viable uk political party.

It sounds like you think the anti immigration people in the surveys should vote bnp. Seems a bit of a dangerous recommendation considering they were 25-60% of the people asked depending on the particular question.

I don't know if you checked out the statistics in the link in the op, but there are plenty of people with those views.
Your inference is entierly incorrect. You asked why we had no serious anti immigration party, and I pointed out there is the BNP who, with 2 MEPs and a significant showing in local and national elections are a serious party. I made no suggestion as to who people should vote for...
tleave2000
Rep:
?
(Original post by Prudy)
Your inference is entierly incorrect. You asked why we had no serious anti immigration party, and I pointed out there is the BNP who, with 2 MEPs and a significant showing in local and national elections are a serious party. I made no suggestion as to who people should vote for...
Oh i see. But 2 meps and less than 2% of the vote doesn't amount to representation of really quite strong anti immigration ideas held by 25% of the population. That's under representation by an order of magnitude.
charcharchar
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
that programme was disgusting, i've never seen something so sick in my life, he needs 'secretly disappear' before he becomes the next hitler
Prudy
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Oh i see. But 2 meps and less than 2% of the vote doesn't amount to representation of really quite strong anti immigration ideas held by 25% of the population. That's under representation by an order of magnitude.
That's a ridiculously simplified view. Not least does it not take into account voter apathy etc, I'm not sure where you get 25% from.
Prudy
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by charcharchar)
that programme was disgusting, i've never seen something so sick in my life, he needs 'secretly disappear' before he becomes the next hitler
I'd keep some faith in the Dutch and their democracy before bringing back the NKVD
tleave2000
Rep:
?
(Original post by Prudy)
That's a ridiculously simplified view. Not least does it not take into account voter apathy etc, I'm not sure where you get 25% from.
It's a summary of a complicated situation. Voter apathy is very much encouraged by a lack of viable politicians that represent popular view points. It's really one of the issues i'm talking about. Disillusionment in politics (and our democracy) because an over emphasis on political correctness in the uk prevents politicians from representing public opinion.

The number comes from the the survey linked in the op. One of the strongest anti immigration questions had support of 25% in the uk, the others had much more than that.

(Original post by charcharchar)
Nothing that geert wilders said in that film was anywhere near as extreme or violent as the suggestion you seem to be making that he should be quietly murdered for disagreeing with your political beliefs.
FrigidSymphony
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The BNP is not a valid alternative to Geert Wilders- Wilders is an atheist who believes that ALL religion is deteriorating for society, while the BNP are a bunch of CHRISTIAN NATION fascist nuts.
tleave2000
Rep:
?
Ah man, I wish I knew why I'd been negged for that last post.

Don't just neg, explain what you're thinking. It's much more interesting : )
Stratos
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by FrigidSymphony)
The BNP is not a valid alternative to Geert Wilders- Wilders is an atheist who believes that ALL religion is deteriorating for society, while the BNP are a bunch of CHRISTIAN NATION fascist nuts.
After discarding religion which illusionary moral system/framework will follow after all there is no morality.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (442)
37.81%
No - but I will (88)
7.53%
No - I don't want to (80)
6.84%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (559)
47.82%

Watched Threads