Do you ever look round and feel guilty about how much you have? Watch

This discussion is closed.
byb3
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
I'm sitting in my warm well lit university room now.

I have a fridge full of cold beer and soft drinks. I'm sitting on a leather chair with my wireless keyboard and mouse, staring at my 19" monitor listening to my subwoofer.

I sometimes think that I don't deserve all of this, and even feel a bit guilty. I never felt like this when I was younger, it is something I have only came to realise these past few weeks.

Anybody else get the same feelings?

Adam
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by byb3)

I have a fridge full of cold beer and soft drinks. I'm sitting on a leather chair with my wireless keyboard and mouse, staring at my 19" monitor listening to my subwoofer.

I sometimes think that I don't deserve all of this, and even feel a bit guilty. I never felt like this when I was younger, it is something I have only came to realise these past few weeks.

Adam
Yeah some times I feel like this, I look round my room look at my £500 PC, my £1000 HIFI system, my decent TV, my newly decorated room, my huge record collection etc. But all this is instead of a car so its not so bad.
lou p lou
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
yes i do all the time- even my family. i was discussing this with a friend a while ago + we realised how 'normal' our familes are as we were talking about a friend whose mum ran off with her dad's best friend + her dad is now an alcoholic, someone else whose parents are so strict that she didn't go to primary school and she's absalutely useless in social situations and someone else who has a severely disabled sister who he never sees... makes you think.

lou xxx
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
no
WILKO
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
me either, i work for my fully modified car, oakley sunglasses, and skiing holiday to andorra - rather than getting mummy and daddy to get it for me...
Custard
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by JSM)
no
i got everything i could ever of thought of for christmas, very greatful...a bit guilty yes!
caz
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
no because i am what i am, and people are what they are, why should anybody feel guilty? if i was poor, handicapped, and depressed i wouldnt expect anybody to feel guilty for their happiness
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Custard)
i got everything i could ever of thought of for christmas, very greatful...a bit guilty yes!
no -you never got me, so it couldnt have been perfect
caz
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by JSM)
no -you never got me, so it couldnt have been perfect
someone just got owned
waiting2smile
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by JSM)
no
i always thought JSM was a selfish thoughtless person...
ben2111
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by byb3)

Adam
Yeah, I do all the time; but it is not my fault that I wasn´t born in the sahara desert which does not take the duty to help the people there away.
Elle
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yeah.. especially after I watched that last episode of ER (ok I know it's fiction but it's based on fact!)
emmz
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by caz)
no because i am what i am, and people are what they are, why should anybody feel guilty? if i was poor, handicapped, and depressed i wouldnt expect anybody to feel guilty for their happiness
i would
Mr White
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Elle)
Yeah.. especially after I watched that last episode of ER (ok I know it's fiction but it's based on fact!)
Both of those episodes felt like a film rather than a TV show, they were just that good.
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by waiting2smile)
i always thought JSM was a selfish thoughtless person...
and u just been proved wrong, im not selfish, in fact i am very generous, but how can i carer about people who i do not know
emma_
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I don't feel guilty about what I have. But I know that I am very very very luckey because of everything I have, and the opportunities I have as a result of it.
Elle
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Mr White)
Both of those episodes felt like a film rather than a TV show, they were just that good.
Yeah and very moving..

that's why I can sympatheise with the Lib Dem lady who said that she would become a suicide bomber if she had to go through what the palestianians did. Ok.. maybe she didn't use the right wording but when something hits you that hard then there aren't many ways you can express how bad you feel about it.
me!
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Same here, I don't feel guilty because I don't have excessive amounts of stuff, but I still feel lucky, but sometimes I forget just how lucky I am... but plenty of things make up for what I do have, if you know what I mean...
Mr White
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Elle)
Yeah and very moving..

that's why I can sympatheise with the Lib Dem lady who said that she would become a suicide bomber if she had to go through what the palestianians did. Ok.. maybe she didn't use the right wording but when something hits you that hard then there aren't many ways you can express how bad you feel about it.
Yes, I can sympathise with her, but it was pretty stupid to actually announce such a controversial opinion like that. Any politician should know that they should keep their actual views to themselves.

That bit where they shot the Geologist was quite sad, actually, and when the religious music started and the bright light was shining down from the heavens, it was quite moving.
Danithestudent
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Materialistically yes I feel guilty, we get our Xmas shopping at Harrods and have two holidays a year, I have pajamas that cost £90 and I've been spoilt all my life.
Emotionally no, my parents are f**ked up and because I'm the youngest and my brother and sister are never around I get stuck in between it every night, my mum's had cancer/pneumonia/emphysmia/depression and my dad's just had an affair, my mum is an alcoholic all this kind of stuff.
It's not as if we choose to be born though, I often get shouted at because I was born and I find that the most redundant thing to ever say, in the end though I love my parents and I wouldn't change the situation I am in for the world.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (388)
67.24%
No (189)
32.76%

Watched Threads