Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    anyone know how they relate in terms of difficulty??

ReputationRep:
    Depends vastly on the subject. Biology SL and Math Studies SL are probably somewhere between GCSE and AS. Maths SL (aka Math Methods) is somewhere between AS and A2. ... ...

ReputationRep:
    imo as a very rough estimate yes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tangsiuje)
    Depends vastly on the subject. Biology SL and Math Studies SL are probably somewhere between GCSE and AS. Maths SL (aka Math Methods) is somewhere between AS and A2. ... ...
    I don't think Biology SL is so low, most of my classmates did really well in GCSE Biology but struggle with IB Biology SL, how can that be possible? Well maybe people in my country just don't like Biology but it's weird isn't it? As for Math Studies I would say you are probably right, it's by far my easiest subject.

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking in terms of Physics SL (i didnt realise it depended per subject)?

ReputationRep:
    It really depends on what subject it is.

A rule of thumb:

An AS-level covers exactly half the syllabus, in a lot of depth.
    An IB SL covers the entire syllabus but in less depth.

So it wouldn't really be wise to compare AS-levels to IB SL subjects as they are different in the way that the syllabi are made.

However, it is very much subject dependant. I was told that French B SL was equivalent to French A2, and that English A1 SL is "more challenging" than an English A-level.

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by naimslim89)
    ... and that English A1 SL is "more challenging" than an English A-level.
    Certainly a larger number of books, at least. On the other hand, we should be aware that also very "sciency" ib students which are not at all interested in literature have to do a language a1 sl and still get decent grades. Those who do English A-level have usually chosen to do it.

I'm very hesitant to the grading of languages a1 in general. I think the horizontal moderation is quite poor, probably due to the intrinsic features of the subject as such, and especially for smaller languages; the examiners for a specific language will almost definitely carry a fair amount of cultural bias in terms of norms and standards of writing and literary criticism. For instance, it's certainly more difficult to obtain a high grade in English/French/Spanish than, say, Swedish A1 (as I did). I've read really, really crappy Swedish WL essays which got like 18/20.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spy007)
    anyone know how they relate in terms of difficulty??
    nonononooooooooooo they really dont!!!
    Standard level is still a full 2 year course with all the core to learn and still some options,
    valued by all instituions as much more than AS!!! AS= first year of a standard level subj... i would say some standards get as hard as a full A-level class

Its not a coincidence if the IB diploma is considered the most challenging high school program in the world

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nicolo)
    nonononooooooooooo they really dont!!!
    Standard level is still a full 2 year course with all the core to learn and still some options,
    valued by all instituions as much more than AS!!! AS= first year of a standard level subj... i would say some standards get as hard as a full A-level class

Its not a coincidence if the IB diploma is considered the most challenging high school program in the world
    I think it all rather depends on which SL you are talking about. Math studies is fairly similiar to Higher GSCE with a few more challenging topics thrown in. Math methods does indeed go a little way beyond AS . It is a little more tricky to compare HL against A-level maths as A-level offers a choice of many modules, so for example if a student follows A-level Pure maths then the content goes way above the HL course, If however a combination is taken with applied subjects then this will not be the case.

Im not sure who has told you that IB is the most challenging system, but I would seriously doubt your source. The EB is probally the most challenging system that I can think of off the top of my head, the Panhellenics are no push over either. Maybe my second choice would have to be Finlands system,
    extremely strong accross the board esp. maths. The korean system is also a rather sound and strong academic programme, etc..etc

ReputationRep:
    sorry for my ignorance, but what are GSCE and AS?? some kind of national exam in England?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ekwalker)
    sorry for my ignorance, but what are GSCE and AS?? some kind of national exam in England?
    A GCSE (General Certificate of Secondary Education) is an exam taken by mostly 16 year olds around England (analogous to the old O-level).

A GCE AS-level (General Certificate of Education: Advanced Subsidiary) is the first year of a two year A-level course, taken by 17 year olds in England. In the second year, pupils take A2-level courses at the age of 18.

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.