Answer an idiot this... Watch

morris743
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Which phone out of the iphone or blackberry should I get for the very best internet, email etc experience? Also, I know I must sound so stupid here but on iphone and blackberry is internet free (and fast?) when you have either your contract or pay as you go tariff?

Many thanks,

Clueless.
Tabitha1992
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by morris743)
Which phone out of the iphone or blackberry should I get for the very best internet, email etc experience? Also, I know I must sound so stupid here but on iphone and blackberry is internet free (and fast?) when you have either your contract or pay as you go tariff?

Many thanks,

Clueless.
if you get a blackberry 3g then that means that is has faster internet than a normal blackberry, although i'd say the iphone is probably quicker. and no, if you get a contract then you'll have to make sure you got unlimited internet as part of your tarriff.
didgeridoo12uk
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
haven't used the very latest blackberrys... but from my experience the internet browser is horrible compared to the iphones.

and the internet isn't free. you have to pay for it in your phone contract or potentially as part of your payg deal. (obviously it is free if your connected to wifi though)
morris743
Rep:
?
(Original post by didgeridoo12uk)
haven't used the very latest blackberrys... but from my experience the internet browser is horrible compared to the iphones
really? how funny...from what i have heard, people rave about the blackberry's email etc. i guess this is slightly different to browsing though.

hmm...iphone isssss pretty
morris743
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tabitha1992)
if you get a blackberry 3g then that means that is has faster internet than a normal blackberry, although i'd say the iphone is probably quicker. and no, if you get a contract then you'll have to make sure you got unlimited internet as part of your tarriff.
thank you
Onge
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
get a htc wildfire. its cheap and i prefer it to an iphone.
didgeridoo12uk
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
really? how funny...from what i have heard, people rave about the blackberry's email etc. i guess this is slightly different to browsing though.

hmm...iphone isssss pretty
yeh blackberry email is really good, and i prefer their whole approach to messaging/communication.

but well it's lacking in other areas
morris743
Rep:
?
(Original post by didgeridoo12uk)
yeh blackberry email is really good, and i prefer their whole approach to messaging/communication.

but well it's lacking in other areas
ahh ok
morris743
Rep:
?
(Original post by Onge)
get a htc wildfire. its cheap and i prefer it to an iphone.
why?
Manclad
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Both offer good internet but you only get it free if it is included in your contract tarriff. On pay as you go you have to pay for 3G roaming (as far as I'm aware) and can only therefore use it when you're in a wireless network.

Personally I prefer the iPhone as I like the interface and found it really easy to use and in my opinion it has the best selection of Apps; eg: Ping, Spotify etc... Though some people prefer blackberry's for BBM and what not so it's really down to you, you're probs best off going into a store and trying them and seeing which you find easiest to use... I feel like I'm making it sound like that bit in Harry Potter where he picks out his first wand :P

Also if you do get a network I'd use O2 as then you can get on things like BT openzone and the cloud for free on most tarriffs, I believe... though other networks might be offering this now....

Hope this helps
ArjunT
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
get a windows phone 7, there meant to be quite nice if you've never had a smartphone before. I think the samsung omnia 7 is meant to be good. Also a HTC Desire HD is a really nice phone too, just remember to turn it off and on again after a few hours, it speeds up dramatically!

I guess i should really make a case for each, windows phone 7 has a really nice and seamless interface, you can just log in with your hotmail and all the stuff you care about starts populating the main screen. Its really easy to use and its not complex to do ordinary tasks. The music player on it is really good as well, i was surprised at how nice it was compared to itunes. Also you can get xbox live games on there if your into gaming.

Android phones are quite nice because you have widgets, you can easily post something to facebook without having to go onto the app etc. It also has waaaay better multi tasking which means when you exit any app, it'll save the state e.g. if your play a game you can exit to take a call without losing your progress. Its got a really nice interface and you've got more apps to really customize it and make it your own. If you dont like the texting app you can download a better one etc. Its also got a lot of apps available to it.
inspiredideas
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
iphone is far faster than all modern blackberries but none of the networks offer a good internet allowance
morris743
Rep:
?
(Original post by Manclad)
Both offer good internet but you only get it free if it is included in your contract tarriff. On pay as you go you have to pay for 3G roaming (as far as I'm aware) and can only therefore use it when you're in a wireless network.

Personally I prefer the iPhone as I like the interface and found it really easy to use and in my opinion it has the best selection of Apps; eg: Ping, Spotify etc... Though some people prefer blackberry's for BBM and what not so it's really down to you, you're probs best off going into a store and trying them and seeing which you find easiest to use... I feel like I'm making it sound like that bit in Harry Potter where he picks out his first wand :P

Also if you do get a network I'd use O2 as then you can get on things like BT openzone and the cloud for free on most tarriffs, I believe... though other networks might be offering this now....

Hope this helps
That does help, thank you
morris743
Rep:
?
(Original post by ArjunT)
get a windows phone 7, there meant to be quite nice if you've never had a smartphone before. I think the samsung omnia 7 is meant to be good. Also a HTC Desire HD is a really nice phone too, just remember to turn it off and on again after a few hours, it speeds up dramatically!
Thank you for the tips, not least the speed
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
This is just my opinion so nobody bite my head off.. ¬_¬

If you want it for social networking, I find the BlackBerry much easier to use. When I say I use the "internet", I mean social networking :P

However, if you use lots of other websites, YouTube and more, then the iPhone probably has a better quality internet overall. With regards to speed I guess that's down to the network. My BB has always been really fast for everything I use it for Oh and I have 3G.
Onge
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
why?
i used to have the old i phone, and my sister got a BB. I used both but find that the wildfire is very quick when using internet and emails/facebook. Instantly stores all your contacts from facebook/mail for quick use etc. Although the gaming apps are not as good as the i-phone, but i imagine thats not your main priority
Aristotle's' Disciple
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
^ I guess she's right.
morris743
Rep:
?
(Original post by Onge)
i used to have the old i phone, and my sister got a BB. I used both but find that the wildfire is very quick when using internet and emails/facebook. Instantly stores all your contacts from facebook/mail for quick use etc. Although the gaming apps are not as good as the i-phone, but i imagine thats not your main priority
Ta
ArjunT
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Thank you for the tips, not least the speed
just edited my post to give you some more info, i should add, I've got an ipod touch and a android phone and I've honestly stopped using my ipod touch since i got it. The notifications are a lot better too, when you get a new facebook alert or whatever on iphone it always wants to direct you to the facebook app even if you want to just make a quick text or whatever, with android you have a bar to pull down and you can see the notifications when you want not just when your phone wants to. Also you can reply to texts within a little pop up window so you can quickly get back to what you were doing and you can get flash on android which means 4od etc all work on your phone. Its just a really nice platform to use.

Also i should say that if you want flash look for an android phone with 1ghz processor, that means that it can actually run flash and steer clear of sony erricsson, they ruin android and make it much slower by putting in a lot of crap you dont need. I quite like HTC as they provide a lot of good apps without you having to go out and search for them. Samsung galaxy s is meant to be good too. Also there are some new phones coming out within the next month or two so if you can wait it would be a bonus to you.
morris743
Rep:
?
(Original post by ArjunT)
just edited my post to give you some more info, i should add, I've got an ipod touch and a android phone and I've honestly stopped using my ipod touch since i got it. The notifications are a lot better too, when you get a new facebook alert or whatever on iphone it always wants to direct you to the facebook app even if you want to just make a quick text or whatever, with android you have a bar to pull down and you can see the notifications when you want not just when your phone wants to. Also you can reply to texts within a little pop up window so you can quickly get back to what you were doing and you can get flash on android which means 4od etc all work on your phone. Its just a really nice platform to use.
40d?! now you're talking Thanks for all your help
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (564)
37.65%
No - but I will (117)
7.81%
No - I don't want to (108)
7.21%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (709)
47.33%

Watched Threads