Accommodation question... Watch

RosieRose
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hi guys

Right, so I applied for accommodation back in December, but I was wondering on whether the first-come-first-served basis is in accordance with that, or when you accept your place? Because I'm waiting for my last uni to reply (Cardiff) so I can't accept Kent yet-I really love it, and I'm pretty sure that's the place I want to go so I'm in limbo as to whether I should just withdraw from Cardiff and accept Kent (unconditional offer). Loads of my friends are telling me to wait it out, but my family is telling me to just withdraw and accept Kent. In all honesty, I don't think Cardiff will give me an offer anyway.

Any advice/info would be very much appreciated
AlexInWonderland
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
As far as I know, it is based on when you made your accommodation application, rather than when you make your offer decision, so you should be fine.
It strikes me as odd they ask for application so early considering how many people will not go on to choose Kent as firm, or even insurance, but there you go. On the other hand, applying for accommodation now makes me a little excited and motivated to work harder
RosieRose
Rep:
?
(Original post by AlexInWonderland)
As far as I know, it is based on when you made your accommodation application, rather than when you make your offer decision, so you should be fine.
It strikes me as odd they ask for application so early considering how many people will not go on to choose Kent as firm, or even insurance, but there you go. On the other hand, applying for accommodation now makes me a little excited and motivated to work harder
Yay, I hope you're right. And yeah, it is kinda weird-it's the earliest accommodation applications out of my offers-my others are in April :K: Have you got an offer from Kent? If so, which accommodation have you applied for? Parkwood? :awesome:
AlexInWonderland
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by RosieRose)
Yay, I hope you're right. And yeah, it is kinda weird-it's the earliest accommodation applications out of my offers-my others are in April :K: Have you got an offer from Kent? If so, which accommodation have you applied for? Parkwood? :awesome:
Yeah, offer from Kent as per my signature. Still undecided weather to firm Kent or UEA.

I havn't yet filled in my application, but I will be applying for Parkwood superior, then Parkwood standard.

What are you looking at?

Oh, and what you applying for?
RosieRose
Rep:
?
Yeah, offer from Kent as per my signature. Still undecided weather to firm Kent or UEA.

I havn't yet filled in my application, but I will be applying for Parkwood superior, then Parkwood standard.

What are you looking at?

Oh, and what you applying for?
Yeah, I would have applied to UEA too, but they don't do my course But yeah, I applied for Parkwood flats, then Tyler Court A.

My course is English Language and Linguistics and yeah, most people don't have a clue what it is, lol. What about you? Where else have you applied to?
AlexInWonderland
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Yeah, I would have applied to UEA too, but they don't do my course But yeah, I applied for Parkwood flats, then Tyler Court A.

My course is English Language and Linguistics and yeah, most people don't have a clue what it is, lol. What about you? Where else have you applied to?
History.
I also applied to Reading, Essex and Brunel. Still waiting on Essex, which is making me a little nervous, as I am hoping it will be my insurance choice.
And no, I don't particularly know what you course is aha, as long as you do it's fine
RosieRose
Rep:
?
History.
I also applied to Reading, Essex and Brunel. Still waiting on Essex, which is making me a little nervous, as I am hoping it will be my insurance choice.
And no, I don't particularly know what you course is aha, as long as you do it's fine
Lol, snap with Reading and Essex. But I'm sure Essex'll reply soon, but good luck! . Where'd you get offers? From all of your unis?
AlexInWonderland
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Lol, snap with Reading and Essex. But I'm sure Essex'll reply soon, but good luck! . Where'd you get offers? From all of your unis?
Yeah, UEA: AAB
Kent, 340 points from 3.5 A levels (so I would need ABB)
Brunel: 260 points....to be honest, it was a filler option

To be honest, I wasn't expecting an offer from UEA, so I thought Kent would be my first choice, hence the dilemma. I think I am leaning slightly toward Kent right now though.

And thanks
Where else did you apply?
RosieRose
Rep:
?
Yeah, UEA: AAB
Kent, 340 points from 3.5 A levels (so I would need ABB)
Brunel: 260 points....to be honest, it was a filler option

To be honest, I wasn't expecting an offer from UEA, so I thought Kent would be my first choice, hence the dilemma. I think I am leaning slightly toward Kent right now though.

And thanks
Where else did you apply?
Reading, Essex, Queen Mary and Cardiff. Originally my first choice was Queen Mary, and when I got the offer I was so shocked. But when I went on the visit day two weeks ago, it really wasn't my cup of tea and Kent was just amazing. Plus, I live in london, so I can't get campus accommodation, which sucks, and they expect you to live at home which I would hate.
AlexInWonderland
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Reading, Essex, Queen Mary and Cardiff. Originally my first choice was Queen Mary, and when I got the offer I was so shocked. But when I went on the visit day two weeks ago, it really wasn't my cup of tea and Kent was just amazing. Plus, I live in london, so I can't get campus accommodation, which sucks, and they expect you to live at home which I would hate.
I've just done my application:
Parkwood 6 bed house
Parkwood 5 bed house
Darwin house
Darwin college flats

I hope I get either of the Parkwood ones to be honest, the Darwin accomodation seemed very quiet.
RosieRose
Rep:
?
I've just done my application:
Parkwood 6 bed house
Parkwood 5 bed house
Darwin house
Darwin college flats

I hope I get either of the Parkwood ones to be honest, the Darwin accomodation seemed very quiet.
I didn't actually get to see Darwin or parkwood houses-what was the difference between the two?
AlexInWonderland
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I didn't actually get to see Darwin or parkwood houses-what was the difference between the two?
As far as I can remember, Darwin houses and Parkwood houses were very similar. The main difference being Darwin is at the other side of campus, on the edge. I felt Parkwood in general had a nicer feel and would be a little more lively
fgrimwade
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
hi, i need some advice on which colleges to apply for, is there any particular good colleges to apply for??

francesca
beffnee
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hi guys

Right, so I applied for accommodation back in December, but I was wondering on whether the first-come-first-served basis is in accordance with that, or when you accept your place? Because I'm waiting for my last uni to reply (Cardiff) so I can't accept Kent yet-I really love it, and I'm pretty sure that's the place I want to go so I'm in limbo as to whether I should just withdraw from Cardiff and accept Kent (unconditional offer). Loads of my friends are telling me to wait it out, but my family is telling me to just withdraw and accept Kent. In all honesty, I don't think Cardiff will give me an offer anyway.

Any advice/info would be very much appreciated
I know your post is a little old, but I just wanted to confirm for you that it is definitely based on when you put in your application rather than when you firm. Providing they haven't changed the system, which based on the fact that everything else is identical, they haven't, since last year, this is the case. I phoned them last year because I changed my course before I started and wanted to confirm that I wouldn't be moved to the back of the queue, and they told me this then
RosieRose
Rep:
?
(Original post by beffnee)
I know your post is a little old, but I just wanted to confirm for you that it is definitely based on when you put in your application rather than when you firm. Providing they haven't changed the system, which based on the fact that everything else is identical, they haven't, since last year, this is the case. I phoned them last year because I changed my course before I started and wanted to confirm that I wouldn't be moved to the back of the queue, and they told me this then
Thank you . That's definitely reassured me, seeing as I put in my application in December, and firmed only recently.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Kent
    Sciences, Social Sciences and Humanities Undergraduate
    Sat, 15 Jun '19
  • University of Kent
    Sat, 6 Jul '19
  • University of Kent
    Sat, 5 Oct '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (558)
37.8%
No - but I will (115)
7.79%
No - I don't want to (103)
6.98%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (700)
47.43%

Watched Threads