Turn on thread page Beta

Do you find it easy meeting girls/boys at uni? watch

Announcements

Keep anon or delete.

Basically I find it depressing that it's quite hard to meet girls at uni. I've joined a society and the friends I hang out with are all guys. I was thinking of another society but I don't have any passion for anything other than my current one. I have only just joined my current one in the second semester so I may have to wait until it picks up properly, but it only happens once a week. What can I do??

Does anyone else have this problem? I'm just worried as people say you mainly meet your partner at uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Keep anon or delete.

Basically I find it depressing that it's quite hard to meet girls at uni. I've joined a society and the friends I hang out with are all guys. I was thinking of another society but I don't have any passion for anything other than my current one. I have only just joined my current one in the second semester so I may have to wait until it picks up properly, but it only happens once a week. What can I do??

Does anyone else have this problem? I'm just worried as people say you mainly meet your partner at uni.
    I really can't take you seriously after that last sentence. :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    Its not that hard if I put my mind to it, but I find if I do what I enjoy, and put 100% into everything then I meet people along the way, rather than having to activly search them out.

Keep anon or delete.

If you want further clarification of why the whole "Find your partner at uni" argument is as described by the video, please ask

ReputationRep:
    Please don't believe that statistic. Yes, many people have a serious relationship with someone they meet at uni, but whether that relationship lasts and survives out of the uni bubble is another thing. Some people will meet their life-long partner at uni, but my guess is that most don't. Most people leave uni between the ages of 21 and 23, with the majority towards the younger end of that spectrum, and that is still really very young. Just like you probably changed when you left school and went to uni, you'll do the same when you leave uni and go out into the big wide world, in which, incidentally, there are a lot of people. When people change, they often 'outgrow' their partner, or drift away from them, or just want entirely different things out of life and relationships. Some people who are in serious relationships at uni might secretly feel like they're missing out on being free and single and able to pull, date and play the field a bit.

I find it surprising that the societies you've joined are male-dominated. I've found the exact opposite at my uni. Join a society that interests you and is female-dominated. I'd say that anything arty, such as film, fine art etc, or a charity-related society, will be full of girls, and hopefully interesting ones at that.

(Original post by ch0llima)

If you want further clarification of why the whole "Find your partner at uni" argument is as described by the video, please ask
    I need further clarification. My friend who is in the 2nd year said that most people had paired up by the end of the first year and the ones that never paired up were mainly creepy/weird. Most people find their partner at uni.

ReputationRep:
    Are there no girls at your accomodation? I've met people through who I live near to, clubbing, societies, course, flat parties etc etc

With any of those things you make an even wider group of friends by meeting friends of friends. You say you have made friends with lots of guys? Do they not have female friends? Why don't you have some sort of flat party and just invite people you know and like and ask them to bring a few friends along. Then make friends with the friends of those friends...and voila! Lots of brand new connections! Haha, I've confused myself....

And don't go out looking for your partner, but look at it this way: the more people you know, the more likely you are to come into contact with 'the one', until then, just enjoy yourself!

(Original post by Climbontoyourseahorse)

I find it surprising that the societies you've joined are male-dominated. I've found the exact opposite at my uni. Join a society that interests you and is female-dominated. I'd say that anything arty, such as film, fine art etc, or a charity-related society, will be full of girls, and hopefully interesting ones at that.
    But these societies only occur once a week, so you can't see them enough. How many societies have you joined (which ones too). Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Oh and sorry but the whole 'meeting your partner in first year' sounds like BS to me. Doesn't everyone know that the first year is for making new friends and pulling as many people as possible?

Second/third year, you might have a point. But certainly don't let it stress you out right now haha!

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you go to clubs or smth like that? I believe it is much easier to find girl in these places...or just one night stand...

ReputationRep:
    Keep anon or delete.

I'm hoping to go to uni next year and to be honest I don't want a girlfriend while I'm there. I would prefer friendships and hookups with women than having a girlfriend to be honest, but I'll see...

you don't have to be passionate about something just to be in a society. part of the point of societies is to explore new interests and try things out.

For the record, I stayed single all through university despite having a mountain of opportunities not to be. I consciously chose to give it a miss, on the basis that I was happy as I was and didn't want to commit to anything despite the fact these girls were properly interested.

I need further clarification. My friend who is in the 2nd year said that most people had paired up by the end of the first year and the ones that never paired up were mainly creepy/weird. Most people find their partner at uni.
    See the earlier video. Your friend is just saying that because he/she/it wants to feel secure in the fact that they've managed to form some kind of relationship, and I don't know any single people who qualify as "creepy/weird" just because they're single.

The main issue is that people are young, naive and don't have a clear understanding of the world or what they want from life and, regrettably, this can give them the shock of their lives upon leaving university. People change, their aspirations change, they could have that dream job at the other end of the country - what then? Do you love them enough to up and leave with them at the age of 24? Will the 22 year old girl you met at the university FilmSoc still going to be the same woman at age 52? Probably not. Will you have had enough of each other by then? Quite possibly.

Don't go thinking that you're "Forever Alone" if you don't graduate while in a relationship, because that is utter nonsense. Why tie yourself down at university when there's people to meet and fun to be had? You've got your whole life for that and, shockingly enough, there are loads of single men and women your own age in the real world if you know where to look. Arguably, you're better off waiting because people are more keen to settle down the older they get so the relationship is more likely to be stable as opposed to student relationships (which fall apart catastrophically with a slight nudge and fallout akin to Chernobyl, I've found).

ReputationRep:
    you need to hang out in the library as much as i do

sitting across from people on computers is interesting

many times i've been opposite a girl and i see she's 'mirin

and i'm 'mirin back

so i work up the courage and stand up

Spoiler:
    Show
    then walk to the toilet and cry for hours because i'm so afraid of human contact i can't so much as approach a female in the library who is probably every bit as bitter and lonely as me and wouldn't have shown much resistance to conversation anyway

real lack of talk

ReputationRep:
    I know what you mean. My course is male dominated, my societies are all male sports teams, my halls were small and about 70% male.
    I find the best way is to just meet girls on nights out, It's not the best if your looking for something more serious though which it sounds like you are.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 20, 2011
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.