This discussion is closed.
jaskirat
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Hi there

I'm currently doing my GCSE's at Pates Grammar School which is all fine. I just did my mocks and I got 3 A* 5A 1B 1C

For my A-Level Choices I have put down Economics, Maths and Physics as definites, not sure whether to put down Chemistry or Politics for my final choice.

Anyway, I have been looking around and I have no idea what I want to do later in life. I have been considering Law, but thats just a consideration. I also like the idea of making my own business when Im older.

I was thinking, I am seriously considering applying for Oxbridge next year, and I was wandering, What kind of requirements are there for Law, or Economics? And what kind of degree would be good for setting up a business?

MAny thanks, Jaskirat
dreamer
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
To make a business you need good interpersonal skills, an eye for detail and the bigger picture, and some basic accounting know how. As well as a good idea for a project and a realistic chance of it being economically worthwhile! You can go into business with any degree I think.

I don't think Cambridge has any specific requirements for Law (lawyers can answer this better) and for economics Maths A-level is very very useful.
adelz
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by jaskirat)
Hi there

I'm currently doing my GCSE's at Pates Grammar School which is all fine. I just did my mocks and I got 3 A* 5A 1B 1C

For my A-Level Choices I have put down Economics, Maths and Physics as definites, not sure whether to put down Chemistry or Politics for my final choice.

Anyway, I have been looking around and I have no idea what I want to do later in life. I have been considering Law, but thats just a consideration. I also like the idea of making my own business when Im older.

I was thinking, I am seriously considering applying for Oxbridge next year, and I was wandering, What kind of requirements are there for Law, or Economics? And what kind of degree would be good for setting up a business?

MAny thanks, Jaskirat
but also try and get better GCSE grades to help you get in - they do look at all your record of grades, even if you get 3 or 4 A's at A/S or Alevel ...
More A*'s and A's , less B's and C's
Weirdo
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by adelz)
but also try and get better GCSE grades to help you get in - they do look at all your record of grades, even if you get 3 or 4 A's at A/S or Alevel ...
More A*'s and A's , less B's and C's
I got 2 A*s, 7 'A's and a D, and I got an offer from Oxford! I personally don't think GCSEs matter that much.... well, as long as they're not crap! :rolleyes:
adelz
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Weirdo)
I got 2 A*s, 7 'A's and a D, and I got an offer from Oxford! I personally don't think GCSEs matter that much.... well, as long as they're not crap! :rolleyes:
lol shaddap :P
errrm ... well .. I think that most people who get into Oxbridge will generally have lots of A*'s and A's .. ... whatever ! :P
Cacambo
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Apparently, 'an ideal Law applicant would offer Maths, Latin and History.'
gzftan
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by jaskirat)
Hi there

MAny thanks, Jaskirat
I got into cambridge for law doing maths, bio and physics at A2 level......a bit unconventional but hey!

You do need to get better grades in GCSE, as even though some people get offers with lower grades, having better ones improves your chances greatly.

They base many of their decisions heavily on interview, so you've got to show a keen interest in law as a subject and current affairs. I'd advise doing some kind of legal work experience...possible attending a law conference held in london...that's what i did.

Most offers for law are 3-4 As....so you need these predicted grades too...

Hope this helps....anything else??

G
paymaster
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I'd totally agree with what gztan says. Apply for law if you have a genuine interest in the law and current affairs. I was talking to another law applicant there about judicial reform, and the face of the girl next to us went totally white - she didn't even know who the Lord Chancellor was. Law's a great subject, which will give you many useful skills for later life... if its what you want to do at degree level.

Oh, and expect any offer from cam for law to be 3As
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (5)
50%
Yes- I don't like it (1)
10%
No- I want it (3)
30%
No- I don't want it (1)
10%

Watched Threads