Turn on thread page Beta

what would you class as a good grade watch

For me, only A or B.

I got AACC, and when asked, and I come to the C's I don't feel proud saying them or anything.

But for people in general, if they say results and say CCCC I wouldn't be thinking "pfft... crap" I'd deem that as 'good'.

ReputationRep:
    Well obviously most would consider A to be a good grade.

I think the lowest good grade is an A, why? To get a B what do you have to do? Understand the topics and do little to no revision, what achievement is this? To get an A you must revise more, spend longer on the coursework (usually) and understand the topics more thoroughly, this is more of an achievement.

40% of people studying Maths at A-Level get A's. Is a B a good grade? Is being in the lower 60% of students good? Probably not.

However, it all depends on the person, if somebody is used to getting C's and then they start getting B's, this is an achievement, not neccessarily (sp?) a good grade though.

Just my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    A or B, you only have to look at the university offers to see that most competitive courses require them.

ReputationRep:
    A is a very good grade, B is a good grade, C is an OKAY grade, and anything below C is worthless...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beekeeper)
    A is a very good grade, B is a good grade, C is an OKAY grade, and anything below C is worthless...
    Indeed.

Woo, my drama was OKAY

ReputationRep:
    if its for an exam A is a good grade. for homeworks a B is just fine for me :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    The only time a grades a good grade is if the person getting it knows they tried their best

ReputationRep:
    'A'.

This is perfectly subjective, as you probably well know.

ReputationRep:
    oooh and i got a D in Chemistry and was proud of it because i worked my bum off for it :

ReputationRep:
    C- good
    B- better than good
    A- excellent

D and below I'd probably not be happy with.

ReputationRep:
    A = Good
    B = Acceptable

If I personally got anything lower than ABBB in my AS-levels I'd be extremely discouraged.

--------------

(Original post by -x-buttercup-x-)
    The only time a grades a good grade is if the person getting it knows they tried their best
    Argh! All this P.C. bullsh*t! It's doing my brain right in! Whether or not the person worked hard, an 'E' grade is sh*te! There are no two ways about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Bex~)
    Like a couple of others have said, it's impossible to define a "good" grade. Some people have to get Es, otherwise the grade wouldnt exist. And I'm sure that for alot of thos people getting an E is a real achievment.

--------------

So your dissapointed if you don't get full marks every time?
    Where did he/she say that? Just because he/she aims for the highest mark, doesn't mean they strongly believe they should obtain full marks.

--------------

(Original post by ~Bex~)
    Like a couple of others have said, it's impossible to define a "good" grade. Some people have to get Es, otherwise the grade wouldnt exist.
    Your logic is flawed (again). Grades are measures. For example, take an olympic event, the javelin; there are measures up to about 100m (or so?), however no olympic athelete throws 1m do they? Of course they don't, but its a measure all the same. The same goes for your logic on 'E' grades. Just because people get them, doesn't mean they have to be there.

ReputationRep:
    A: v good
    B: good
    C: OK

I wouldnt be too happy getting D or E. Be *quite* disappointed with a C.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BiologyMad)
    Where did he/she say that? Just because he/she aims for the highest mark, doesn't mean they strongly believe they should obtain full marks.

He specifically said "An A is adequate, but I really target for the highest mark available." Which to me suggests they want full marks.
    --------------

(Original post by BiologyMad)
    Your logic is flawed (again). Grades are measures. For example, take an olympic event, the javelin; there are measures up to about 100m (or so?), however no olympic athelete throws 1m do they? Of course they don't, but its a measure all the same. The same goes for your logic on 'E' grades. Just because people get them, doesn't mean they have to be there.
    Actually, some people do have to get them. You clearly know nothing about the way in which the grading system works. If everybody got above 90% in an exam, they wouldn't all get A's. The grades would be awarded such that the bottom people in tha group got U's, then E's etc. This is how grades have always been allocated.

ReputationRep:
    thats incredible you all have pretty high expectations, i was told by my teacher that e and above is a very good grade!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pink fairy)
    thats incredible you all have pretty high expectations, i was told by my teacher that e and above is a very good grade!!!!
    At A level, any grade is Good, forget the tarts who say anything below A isn't Good. Thats just stupid! those tarts won't always be perfect and they'll regret they said it! I think any Grade is a Good grade in general terms, but is it a Good grade to reflect your potential?

kes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kesso12)
    At A level, any grade is Good, forget the tarts who say anything below A isn't Good. Thats just stupid! those tarts won't always be perfect and they'll regret they said it! I think any Grade is a Good grade in general terms, but is it a Good grade to reflect your potential?

kes
    now your in the real world and thank you for saying that! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Bex~)
    So your dissapointed if you don't get full marks every time?
    No, I target the highest mark, but I know that it is not the easiest to get. But I dont set off for an exam saying that a B will be a very good gradeand i should look for it and if i get lucky i will manage an A. Thats a very negative approach. It doesnt matter whether I get the full marks or not, it matters because i know that I have full confidence in my abilities. It helps me when I find a question or two difficult, it inspires me to think it carefully and answer it well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joe_87)
    Well if an A is adequate, what do you class as good? You can't get better than A!

Personally I think a good grade is defined as a grade that is both better than you were predicted and better than you were hoping for. In my case I'll be gutted if i don't get at least a couple of A's but yeah it is different for each individual.
    If you really want to shine you have no other options than A. It is imposible to get in good uni's without A's. The competition is very high. Believe in yourself and always think that you must get an A, there is no alternative.

ReputationRep:
    one must get As, or die trying.

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.