Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Personally I'm ideally aiming for straight As but would be happy with 1 or maybe even 2 Bs. I'd be disappointed with a C or below. In general I think As, Bs and Cs are good grades and Ds and Es are not so good grades, but it's an individual thing. Even a grade E is a pass and therefore an achievement. Not everyone can get As and some people have to work extremely hard just to pass; therefore an E is a good grade for them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TomX)
    Well obviously most would consider A to be a good grade.

I think the lowest good grade is an A, why? To get a B what do you have to do? Understand the topics and do little to no revision, what achievement is this? To get an A you must revise more, spend longer on the coursework (usually) and understand the topics more thoroughly, this is more of an achievement.

40% of people studying Maths at A-Level get A's. Is a B a good grade? Is being in the lower 60% of students good? Probably not.

However, it all depends on the person, if somebody is used to getting C's and then they start getting B's, this is an achievement, not neccessarily (sp?) a good grade though.

Just my opinion.
    I can understand your point however I don't think that getting a grade B at A-Level is that straightforward. Like you say it depends on the person. Someone can follow the performance criteria you suggested for a grade A, however it doesn't mean that they always get it. Also, not all exams follow the same structure, for instance, subjects like Art and Drama don't require any revision, just sheer talent in my opinion. So for someone who is struggling at subjects like these to end up with a C or a B I'm sure will see it as a massive achievement.

Btw I don't reccomend generalising criteria for obtaining certain grades because as you can see, it is not that easy.

ReputationRep:
    B is good....A is the best lol (obv) hmm C is just....a ...pass to me anything below is jus sh*t <-- thats what i think when i get below a C anyway....

regards

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sexysax)
    A good grade is the best grade you can achieve, and have worked hard for.

It differs for everyone. If you are always expecting A's etc then anything less will be a disappointment. If you are someone who rarely or never gets A's then a different grade might be equally as pleasing for you.
    :dito: e.g. if I had gone mad and taken maths AS, then managed somehow to get an E in it, I would have been shocked and delighted! Whereas I was disappointed at getting 1 mark off an A in French. Basically as said in quoted post, it all depends on the individual and their 'relationship with' the subject.

ReputationRep:
    For the subjects that I am taking, I consider an A to be a good grade and anything else would be dissapointing. On the other hand, if I was taking a language at a-level I would be pleased to get an E :-P

ReputationRep:
    An A. I know I shouldn't, but I find B's devastatingly dissapointing :\

ReputationRep:
    Wow everyone here is impressive with all their A's. I did not do amazingly well in my a/s unfortunately well (to you lot on here it would be terrible a killing offence they way you all go on lol). I think it is down to the individual to be honest. I’ve never been a straight A student unfortunately, I’ve always been middle of the range, but I resent the fact someone puts it down to me not putting enough work in because I do! Although admittedly anything bellow a C I am disappointed with as its not classes as a pass grade (I unfortunate had a D in welsh this year but its welsh :p:) I am however resetting some exams to get into the next boundary. I think its amazing though how someone can say that B's aren’t good enough, B's are a great grade after all its not like you can get A* at a level. However i'm sure if in my resits I manage to get into the A boundary some of you will look down your nose at that A because its not as good as someone who gets full marks, at the end of the day an A is an A and a damn good achievement. I'm happy with my BBC however I feel the need to better myself... yes I’m an average student but I worked hard to get those grades (regardless of having a horrible history exam of which I had an E in one paper ) I don’t think you have the right to look down on people who get B grades i’m afraid. It is all down to the individual and unfortunately, not all of us can be above average.

ReputationRep:
    for me personally, i would be disappointed if i didnt get all A's but for people in general, i think A's and B's are good

ReputationRep:
    i cant believe most of you :mad: , at the end of the day any grade is good, and no offence but one day you are gonna be studying your hardest and i think you will get below a c and if you did it wouldnt be the end of your life, because thats how most of you are talking, and i totaly agree with what Emily says. one day you lot will realise that a grade is a grade and any grade is good. as long as you try your hardest and pass!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pink fairy)
    i cant believe most of you :mad: , at the end of the day any grade is good, and no offence but one day you are gonna be studying your hardest and i think you will get below a c and if you did it wouldnt be the end of your life, because thats how most of you are talking, and i totaly agree with what Emily says. one day you lot will realise that a grade is a grade and any grade is good. as long as you try your hardest and pass!!!!!!!
    I agree entirely with what you say. I mean, what's the point in doing anything if you don't try and get an A. It seems devoid of reason, does it not?

Michael
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    In Chemistry, a good grade for me would be E, in all my other subjects C would do nicely

ReputationRep:
    Im not sure how similiar this is to the US, but in the states it goes as follows:
    A 90-100%
    B 80-89
    C 70-79 considered average
    D 60-69
    Fail <59

A's are the toughest to get any my philosophy when it comes to Uni is that my goal is to get an A, if I fail this goal than I will accept a B, though I have never gotten a lower grade than a B thus far.

ReputationRep:
    I'm aiming for As this year. But I was pretty happy with my nice solid C for AS German. I dropped it though- quit whilst ahead.

ReputationRep:
    Anything less than a B is poor.

ReputationRep:
    Bollox

ReputationRep:
    I think that every case is individual, but if you look at what universities are looking for, the best universities take the higher grades i.e. A and B. These grades mean that you are working at a higher level, and you can see evidence of this in the mark-schemes sent out by exam boards. Yes, working your hardest and fulfilling your achievement is important, but some people's achievement level is just higher than others. Two people who work very hard while one gets an A and the other an E may be equal in motivation, but not in result.

Personally, I would be upset with anything less than A's at A-level. Mainly because this is what I know I should be achieving. If I were used to getting B grades then that would be my target.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kesso12)
    Bollox
    Considering that to obtain a 'B', in most cases, all one needs to do is show large mental capacity, I'd disagree with you there.

ReputationRep:
    ok well i guess most of you are gonna stay big headed for the rest of your lives, good luck in the real world thats all i can say

ReputationRep:
    ok well i guess most of you are gonna stay big headed for the rest of your lives, good luck in the real world thats all i can say
    Big headed? No, I wouldn't use that word to describe myself. Egocentric, self centred, self-obsessed- they're far better. Learn them.

Luck in the real world? Doesn't exist. You've just clamber your way past the little men and up the ladder.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chewwy)
    one must get As, or die trying.
    Could'nt of put it better myself.

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.