Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pink fairy)
    ok well i guess most of you are gonna stay big headed for the rest of your lives, good luck in the real world thats all i can say
    In the real world it's those with A's and B's who go on to aspire. I'd say it's - to be politically correct here - all you, "deferred successes" who need the luck.

ReputationRep:
    Can you get an "E" as a grade in the UK? You can't in the states.

ReputationRep:
    Technically, tobe politically correct, all A-Level grades from A-E are passes in the UK, but obviously some are better than others. In the UK, an 'E' is the lowest grade a person can achieve in an A-Level exam before getting a U (unclassified - a recognised fail)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kondar)
    Can you get an "E" as a grade in the UK? You can't in the states.
    yep

ReputationRep:
    Someone just neg. rep me because I said that anything below A is not good, saying that I am arrogant . That is what you get when telling the truth. Truth is harsh, and in this case more to the speaker than the listener.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malik)
    Could'nt of put it better myself.
    Umm, massive contradiction (unless you're posting from your after-life)?

ReputationRep:
    I see A and B grades as being good grades. I am really pushing myself to get A grades. Even though my GCSE grades were good, I can't rely on them and become complacent which can happens to quite a few people in my sixth form and they end up being disappointed in the end.

ReputationRep:
    Probably been said before, but different people class different grades as good. Some people class getting a C as an acheivement. But obviously on here the majority of people seem to think the world might end if they got *dare I say it* a... B.
    Personally for me A's and B's are good grades to me.

ReputationRep:
    A pass

ReputationRep:
    A -good - can't really do better.
    B - still pretty good.
    C - not terrible but really with some hard work you should be able to at least get a B
    D - disappointing
    E - BAD
    U - WORSE

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kondar)
    Im not sure how similiar this is to the US, but in the states it goes as follows:
    A 90-100%
    B 80-89
    C 70-79 considered average
    D 60-69
    Fail <59

A's are the toughest to get any my philosophy when it comes to Uni is that my goal is to get an A, if I fail this goal than I will accept a B, though I have never gotten a lower grade than a B thus far.
    For A levels:
    A: 80+
    B: 70-79
    C: 60-69
    D: 50-59
    E: 40-49
    U: <40 (fail)

For me personally, an A is good, a B is OK, C or below is rubbish. That's because I know I have the potential to get As in the subjects I've chosen. If, however, I were to randomly take another subject that I don't like, any grade at all would be excellent. I can't easily generalise, a good grade is the highest grade which the student has the potential to gain in that specific subject.

ReputationRep:
    overall for my biology A-level, I was 9 UMS marks from an A.... NINE. That annoys me so much, since I'm about 40 whavetever it is over a B. For me, A's or B's, but no lower.

ReputationRep:
    I would just like to thank the anonymous coward who ned reped me for expressing my opinion on what a good grade is...

Cheers!

ReputationRep:
    I'd say A-E is a good grade as its a reflection on the person who took the exam. I really can't stand it when people say anything other than an A is rubbish, as thats not true. It all depends on perception and personal capabilities. At AS I got an E in French (sooo proud of that!) but other than that I've never got bellow a B for anything. For me, an E in French is a good grade and I'm amazed I didn't get a U considering I mucked up my listening and was sick before, during and after my speaking ... but got an A in my writing paper! An E doesn't mean I'm academically "rubbish" or whatever...

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the subject and your capabilities. For example for me, a grade C in Biology would be fantastic, however if I was to get less than an A in Health and Social Care, I would not be impressed :p: Generally though I think anything from a C or above is a good grade

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bleh)
    In the real world it's those with A's and B's who go on to aspire. I'd say it's - to be politically correct here - all you, "deferred successes" who need the luck.

:rolleyes:

When you're applying to university, your a-level grades are important. However once you're there, what grades you got won't matter, as once you leave university it will be your class of degree that matters and will get you your first job. After that, for the most part, grades and degree classes are irrelevant as it's more how you perform in your first job that will be taken into account.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twiga)
    :rolleyes:

When you're applying to university, your a-level grades are important. However once you're there, what grades you got won't matter, as once you leave university it will be your class of degree that matters and will get you your first job. After that, for the most part, grades and degree classes are irrelevant as it's more how you perform in your first job that will be taken into account.
    You do prefer a famous university compared to an unknown one, dont you? I guess not.

ReputationRep:
    good grades: A and B
    Pass grade: C

imo :p:

ReputationRep:
    oh come on yeah some universitys are looking for good grades but some universitys take your pesonal statement into account and not your grades, you only seem to need A's if you are going to Oxford brookes or somewhere like that. i got an E for my history amd my teacher said to me that it was a good grade and it was a pass, i am resitting now but yeah it was a good grade and i would have got into a university with that, obviously not oxford. ok some of you like to think you are gonna get A's all your life, well you can carry on thinking that. and grade is good whether it is an E or not. you lot must use your whole life to study, in fact do you even go out a lot. :mad: :mad: :mad:

--------------

oh come on yeah some universitys are looking for good grades but some universitys take your pesonal statement into account and not your grades, you only seem to need A's if you are going to Oxford brookes or somewhere like that. i got an E for my history amd my teacher said to me that it was a good grade and it was a pass, i am resitting now but yeah it was a good grade and i would have got into a university with that, obviously not oxford. ok some of you like to think you are gonna get A's all your life, well you can carry on thinking that. and grade is good whether it is an E or not. you lot must use your whole life to study, in fact do you even go out a lot. :mad: :mad: :mad:

--------------

oh come on yeah some universitys are looking for good grades but some universitys take your pesonal statement into account and not your grades, you only seem to need A's if you are going to Oxford brookes or somewhere like that. i got an E for my history amd my teacher said to me that it was a good grade and it was a pass, i am resitting now but yeah it was a good grade and i would have got into a university with that, obviously not oxford. ok some of you like to think you are gonna get A's all your life, well you can carry on thinking that. and grade is good whether it is an E or not. you lot must use your whole life to study, in fact do you even go out a lot. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuheen)
    You do prefer a famous university compared to an unknown one, dont you? I guess not.
    It's a fact that the requirements for Cambridge sometimes can go below a C.

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.