Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Icy Ghost)
    It's a fact that the requirements for Cambridge sometimes can go below a C.
    Loads of people with B's and C's apply in such universities, but these unis get enough applicants with A's for filling their seats I would assume.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuheen)
    You do prefer a famous university compared to an unknown one, dont you? I guess not.
    I think all the universities I've applied to are within the top 20 or 30, so I wouldn't be so quick to judge if I were you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TomX)
    Umm, massive contradiction (unless you're posting from your after-life)?
    its called a JOKE Tom, even so just because I class it as good grade , it does not mean that I have the grade. And my time isnt over yet, I fully intend to try and get the AAA in my alevels, or die trying

ReputationRep:
    To me an 'A' would be the excellent grade , B the good grade and C the alrite grade. If you really enjoy your subject then you shoud work as hard as possible to get the higher grade its a great reward if you get it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuheen)
    Loads of people with B's and C's apply in such universities, but these unis get enough applicants with A's for filling their seats I would assume.
    Nah there are people who get in with below Cs. I know that for a fact.

ReputationRep:
    These are what the grades mean to me:

A = Very Good
    B = Good
    C = Satisfactory
    D = Poor
    E = Very poor

These are based upon my future aspirations and what I myself am capable of achieving. I would be dissapointed with less than a C grade.

ReputationRep:
    A = very good
    B = very good / good
    C = good / satisfactory
    D = satisfactory / poor
    E = poor / very poor

For me it depends more upon the UMS marks than the actual grade. A high B is not the same as a low B, for example.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think everyone is going to be able to agree on this.

For some people, getting below an A would be very disappointing and ruin their university plans, whereas some people are anticipating a C as their target grade. Everyone performs differently in standardised tests.

ReputationRep:
    I think a C is a good grade. but in my opinion a C in chemistry requires more skill and effort than an A/B in media studies or something similar. IMO it depends on the subject completely. If someone said they had AAB in media, drama and ICT , and someone else having BBC in chem, phys and maths I'd say the latter has achieved better grades. no offence to anyone taking media etc, but they are far easier than the sciences.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smurfride)
    I think a C is a good grade. but in my opinion a C in chemistry requires more skill and effort than an A/B in media studies or something similar. IMO it depends on the subject completely. If someone said they had AAB in media, drama and ICT , and someone else having BBC in chem, phys and maths I'd say the latter has achieved better grades. no offence to anyone taking media etc, but they are far easier than the sciences.
    Judging by your signature, you only take sciences, so how can you know the relative difficulty of any other subjects? I don't take media studies or anything similar, but it still annoys me when people ridicule subjects like that as being easy when they've never even studied them. It totally depends on the person and their individual strengths as to whether they're good at them or not. At GCSE, for example, I got AA in double science with relatively little effort, yet had to work damn hard just to get a B in media studies. With that in mind, how can it be true that media studies is always easier than the sciences for everyone?

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.