Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Guys, I need an opinion. You know those topshop jumper dresses that are ripping off john galliano? Well, I wanted one back in August when they first came onto the shelves, but now my friend in the UK says that everyone has one.

Thing is, theyve only just come in in Paris and a French label is now doing a rip off that REALLY does look like the Dior by John Galliano one, complete with fluffy like mohair effect, for 50€. My question is: should I get one, because I love it to bits (I have a similar one but its just not as nice ane too stretchy for my liking) or will I just look generic when I go home to the UK? Does everyone have them? What do you think of them?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    everyone has them u go to town and it looks like there are burgerlers everywhere!!!

if u are goin to get one i advise different colour stripes than black and white bcuz its too common n chavvy shops like reveal have started ripping them off too!

ReputationRep:
    i really like them, but everyone is wearing them, which is a shame. if you like it, then get one, it doesnt matter who is or isnt wearing it.

ReputationRep:
    to be honest i didnt really like them in the first place. i think the stripes are a bit too much especially in black and white. plus hi=orizontal stripes make you look wider which is never a good thing. if u like them go for it but yeh id suggest getting different colours. The grey and black ones are a bit nicer coz they arent so "ive just robbed your house".

ReputationRep:
    I've got the black and white topshop one and haven't seen many people wearing it in Oxford....its one of my fave pieces of clothing at the moment :-)

ReputationRep:
    id love one in just one colour...i really like the style but im not so keen on the whole stripe thing, especially not black and white stripes...i think they look a tad weird.....
    all black or maybe really dark purple, grey or blue is nice though i think

ReputationRep:
    I like mine with a sequin scarf tied round my waist- cinches you in for a nice shape and also looks pretty and sparkly (which I like :cool: )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katerichards)
    id love one in just one colour...i really like the style but im not so keen on the whole stripe thing, especially not black and white stripes...i think they look a tad weird.....
    all black or maybe really dark purple, grey or blue is nice though i think
    Ooh id like a black one actually. havent really seen so many people wearing them in one colour.

ReputationRep:
    Totally off topic BUT I love the Strokes! I saw your avatar Have you heard their new single, juicebox?

I have one. So does my friend. Thankfully we have very different styles (she is into black and white and the whole vintage victorian type clothes and jewellery whilst I wear lots of colours and jeans all the time) so look totally different in it. It is one of my favourite items. Haven't seen anyone other than my friend in the topshop one.

ReputationRep:
    in the end of aug i said i was gonna go sixties this winter (n was prepared to dig out my black/white stripes +boots) and then the world turned sixties!!!

argh! Why!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DartsOfPleasure)
    Totally off topic BUT I love the Strokes! I saw your avatar Have you heard their new single, juicebox?
    No, I haven't!!! I'm in France where everything is two months behind (hence the jumpers hitting the shelves only about now.) I hear they have a new album out in January. I am literally quivering with excitement.

So what's the vote on the 45€ jumper dress? Yay or nay? (I have about 75 to spend on clothes/myself each week) An investment or a waste?

ReputationRep:
    it is the black and white stripy one??are there no other colours?

ReputationRep:
    Yes it is the black and white one. I already have one in grey and bright pink that I bought years ago and I havent seen anyone else in. I'm hoping eventually the black and white one will go out of fashion so a lot of people wont be wearing them and Ill look less generic.

ReputationRep:
    I think the black and white ones are cool - horizontal stripes don't always make you look wide (well I don't think they do on me anyway) and I've always liked blcak and white. I don't know about the whole 'burglar' thing - i always thought that was red and black!
    I bought one of the black and white ones from Dorothy Perkins but sadly it's too short - otherwise I would wear it, with black tights, boots and my black beret for the full on 60s look. I know it's a very popular item atm, but I think it depends how you wear it; mostly people seem to be afraid of actually wearing them as a dress and put them with jeans or denim minskirts, so if you bought it just wearing it on its own with tights and boots would make it a bit different! I'd go fro it, you can probably do something with it in other seasons and I just think it's a great look (am v.jealous, damn DP!!! eBay here it comes...)

ReputationRep:
    If you like it and look good in it, then buy it. Don't worry about other people, if someone looks good in an item they don't tend to look generic because they stand out a bit!

ReputationRep:
    I think you should go for it. Plus you're in France so you'll be ahead of everyone else there. I bought one in August for £14 in Asda...it looks just like the Topshop one but it is way cheaper. I have to admit, I just wear mine as a jumper...I'm not daring enough to wear it as a dress with tights! My friends told me I looked like a burglar when I came to school in it, which was slightly annoying! They don't follow the fashion.

ReputationRep:
    that was the one i was first considering buying and i havent seen anyone else in it either....
    then i ran out of money

(Original post by lessthanthree)
    I have the topshop mohair one in blue/grey and I haven't seen a single person in it so far.

But I don't really care -everyone wears things differently and I'm comfy and feel good in it.
    I totally agree.

I have the black and white one. So does my very close friend. We look completely different in it. Obviously I wouldn't want to be wearing it at the same time as her. Not really bothered that others will have it. Of course someone else will have it. It's from Topshop after all. Anyway eventually it will go out of fashion, people will stop wearing them and I will carry on wearing it because its comfy, i look great in it and I am too poor to constantly buy new things.

ReputationRep:
    I'm getting it on saturday.

--------------

You've all convinced me!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 17, 2005
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.