The Student Room Group

Private school vs. State School ?

Scroll to see replies

I go to a state school. Not my choice, by my parents'. I was going to go to a private school (King's) when I lived over in Gloucester, because I wasn't in the catchment area for any good state schools. We then moved to Cambridge and I got into a good state school, so there was no need for a private education. Plus, they then had my brother and sister. Paying for all of us to go to private school... just wouldn't have happened.

I think I'd probably do the same as my parents. If I'm not in the catchment area for a good state school, go private. If I am, send them to a state school.
Reply 41
Original post by Rob da Mop
Education is different because it's the key to the child's future. If you're buying all your food from tesco then it tastes a bit crappy and you probably have to try harder to make it good nutrition-wise, but it doesn't affect a child's future. If you're buying designer clothes you look basically the same as people buying primark, you just pay 20 times as much. If you buy your child an education that child stands a better chance of achieving top grades, getting into top universities and professions and generally succeeding in life.
But you can say that about anything...

As for the class divide in state schools, yes it's there, but the point is you get a melting pot of people. You do get people "sticking to their own" but you also get the experience of being forced to get along with people from different social backgrounds.
I certainly didn't, but there was a very large majority of middle-class students at mine. :tongue:

I'm not saying necessarily being best buddies and we all go around holding hands singing about equality, but in the end at some point in your time at a state school you will have to work with someone who comes from a completely different background to you at state school.
Since when? Usually the rougher kids are in lower intelligence sets, thus you rarely see them other than in the corridors.

At private school you get different people again, but if there were only state schools these private school people would be in the state schools so you'd mix with them too :unsure:
I've seen chavs at provate school too, so this doesn't really hold.
State Grammar School (now an academy)

Would have gone private if there had been a comprehensive system in Buckinghamshire.
Education is different because it's the key to the child's future.

It is perfectly possible to be "educated" although really poor. In fact, if every parent instilled their child with discipline and moral values, the state education system would be a hell of a lot better.

If you're buying all your food from tesco then it tastes a bit crappy and you probably have to try harder to make it good nutrition-wise, but it doesn't affect a child's future.

Not directly.

If you're buying designer clothes you look basically the same as people buying primark, you just pay 20 times as much.

Really?

If you buy your child an education that child stands a better chance of achieving top grades, getting into top universities and professions and generally succeeding in life.

So surely you are for grammar schools?

As for the class divide in state schools, yes it's there, but the point is you get a melting pot of people.

Is that really a good thing?

You do get people "sticking to their own" but you also get the experience of being forced to get along with people from different social backgrounds.

Really?

I'm not saying necessarily being best buddies and we all go around holding hands singing about equality, but in the end at some point in your time at a state school you will have to work with someone who comes from a completely different background to you at state school. At private school you get different people again, but if there were only state schools these private school people would be in the state schools so you'd mix with them too :unsure:

What has this got to do with anything?
Original post by im so academic
It is perfectly possible to be "educated" although really poor. In fact, if every parent instilled their child with discipline and moral values, the state education system would be a hell of a lot better.

This is sort of the point. Why should children be punished for having ****ty parents?

Not directly.

So we're in agreement here.

Really?

In the end you're still a human shaped person with bits of fabric on you.

So surely you are for grammar schools?

Pretty ambivalent towards them really.

Is that really a good thing?

Yes.

Really?

Yes.

What has this got to do with anything?

It was kind of a conclusion. You put them at the ends of things.
Reply 45
In my area the state school I go to gets WAY better grades than the private school.

Why pay for something that isnt even worth it?
This is sort of the point. Why should children be punished for having ****ty parents?

So you call schools trying to instil discipline and moral values "punishment" then? It is necessary for children to be disciplined and moral - and that should be the responsibility of the respective parents of the child. It is such a shame that the situation at present means that for many schools it is about "crowd control" rather than actually giving them an education.

Theoretically speaking, the state education system could be better than the private education system; but if the children do not value the meaning of education because of their poor socio-economic backgrounds, what is the solution? Banning private schools?

Pretty ambivalent towards them really.

Really? I'd imagine you would be in full support of grammar schools. It means that poorer children, although bright children can receive a top-quality education irrespective of their parents' financial circumstances. And if there were enough all around the country, there would not be the issue of "increasing house prices around grammar schools".

You have a simplistic view of private and state education system from reading your posts.
Original post by 12sophie

In my area the state school I go to gets WAY better grades than the private school.

*So education is about getting as much A*s as possible, rather than learning?
*Define "better grades". League table are quite poor indicators of them.
*Remember intake varies every year; that private school could easily beat the state school.
*Is education all about the exams?
*Remember, private schools are technically in competition with each other.
*One anecdote doesn't disregard the whole private education system.
*What is your problem? If you don't think it's worth it, don't go. Others do.
Reply 48
to do well in life, good grades are needed in this time...
i have friends at the private school, they dont feel they are being supported, one has learning difficulties and moved to another school as his class of 6 was supporting him.
So you call schools trying to instil discipline and moral values "punishment" then? It is necessary for children to be disciplined and moral - and that should be the responsibility of the respective parents of the child. It is such a shame that the situation at present means that for many schools it is about "crowd control" rather than actually giving them an education.

Theoretically speaking, the state education system could be better than the private education system; but if the children do not value the meaning of education because of their poor socio-economic backgrounds, what is the solution? Banning private schools?

There are plenty of people who go to private schools who don't have the best parents (I know plenty), but because of smaller class sizes and the general positive working atmosphere they end up doing better. I'm saying that this inequality is the problem, and banning private schools is not the answer (yet). What we need is a good state school system that manages to provide the environment for people with less educationally leaning parents to achieve their full potential.

Really? I'd imagine you would be in full support of grammar schools. It means that poorer children, although bright children can receive a top-quality education irrespective of their parents' financial circumstances. And if there were enough all around the country, there would not be the issue of "increasing house prices around grammar schools".

I don't think that brighter people should have better education. I think that everyone should have the education that suits them. I also don't think that saying to an eleven year old "You did badly in the 11+, you're stuck in the dumdum school now" is good. What if people don't realise how to work with their education 'til they're 13? What if non-grammar schools or less good grammar schools become marks of having already failed so their's no point trying?

The solution to both of these problems is consistent and constantly dynamic use of sets in schools so that every term or so the sets are jumbled up and the people doing better move up sets and the people holding a class behind move down to a set that suits them better. This allows people to work at their own pace with the ability to move around should problems arise and they need extra support to keep up or extra support to be stretched.

You have a simplistic view of private and state education system from reading your posts.

Does anyone else appreciate the irony of ISA lecturing me on having a simplistic view on part of our education system?:rolleyes:
Reply 50
Original post by Anonymous
Who attends what, and whats is your reasons for choosing either?:confused:

I attend State, but its one of the best in the country and happens to be my local one.
If my local school was really bad, then I may have considered applying for a scholarship to one of the private schools.

I really don't like it when people hold things against private school kids, as I have friends at very "posh" schools, and they are not "posh" nor do they look down at state school students.
I went to a state school that neither me, nor my parents had any choice over as it was the only school I could attend that was within a reasonable distance and provided free transport. A Catholic school was on a bus route but twice as far away and for non-Catholics, transport wasn't free.
Personally if I could afford it and there was no other reasonable alternatives I would send my children to private school, just because it's what any parent would do. However I believe that private schools create a class divide by not allowing poorer children to have the same opportunities as rich children. One of my main political philosophies is that every child has a reasonably equal opportunity at life and it will never happen with private schools. Luckily though, in the UK, most state schools are fairly good in reality and if you are clever you will get into a good university, get a good job e.t.c. Still I don't like the statistic that about 40% of Oxbridge students are from private schools... It is pretty sickening really.
There are plenty of people who go to private schools who don't have the best parents (I know plenty), but because of smaller class sizes and the general positive working atmosphere they end up doing better. I'm saying that this inequality is the problem, and banning private schools is not the answer (yet). What we need is a good state school system that manages to provide the environment for people with less educationally leaning parents to achieve their full potential.

Of course, but if people have the money to afford such luxuries, shouldn't they?

Also, sizes of class is irrelevant UNLESS all students are well-behaved and keen to learn. And the general positive working atmosphere? Good luck finding that in certain state schools. Is it a wonder why some parents end up going private?

Like I said, the state school system could be better than the private school system, if students aren't bothered, how will they be able to fulfil their full potential? People mature at different rates, and with that, there are some slackers.

I don't think that brighter people should have better education. I think that everyone should have the education that suits them. I also don't think that saying to an eleven year old "You did badly in the 11+, you're stuck in the dumdum school now" is good. What if people don't realise how to work with their education 'til they're 13? What if non-grammar schools or less good grammar schools become marks of having already failed so their's no point trying?

Remember, many grammar schools do have entry tests at 13 and 16. Is it fair that certain students may be kept from their full potential as their school is not pushing them hard enough? Also, what if people don't realise the value of education until 19? Is it right for that individual to keep the rest behind?

I don't know what you mean by the last question.

The solution to both of these problems is consistent and constantly dynamic use of sets in schools so that every term or so the sets are jumbled up and the people doing better move up sets and the people holding a class behind move down to a set that suits them better. This allows people to work at their own pace with the ability to move around should problems arise and they need extra support to keep up or extra support to be stretched.

Remember, there are differing abilities between sets. They are not the solution.
Original post by Cicerao
Oh, sorry...some pointless sport activities as well, and a couple more colouring crayons to use. Do not care.

What exactly are you trying to say here?

What a stupid post.

The difference between private schools and state schools are not "pointless sports activities... and more crayons".
Original post by ilovedubstep
Personally if I could afford it and there was no other reasonable alternatives I would send my children to private school, just because it's what any parent would do. However I believe that private schools create a class divide by not allowing poorer children to have the same opportunities as rich children. One of my main political philosophies is that every child has a reasonably equal opportunity at life and it will never happen with private schools. Luckily though, in the UK, most state schools are fairly good in reality and if you are clever you will get into a good university, get a good job e.t.c. Still I don't like the statistic that about 40% of Oxbridge students are from private schools... It is pretty sickening really.

You're implying if there were banned, that would be true?

Bull****.

If you come from a family that instilled you with good morals, compared with one that didn't instil any, which would have better opportunities in life?

The reason why 40% (or whatever) of students at Oxbridge come from private schools is because considerably MORE APPLICATIONS come from private schools than state schools.

If state schoolers don't apply, surely by default more of their students would naturally come from private schools?
I went to a state school in my area. I was sent to that particular one because it was the only Catholic school.

I would have killed to have gone to a private school.
Reply 57

I agree.

Where I live, in terms of achievement there is one outstanding private school, then all the state grammar schools, then the rest of the private schools and then the rest of the secondary schools.

I wouldn't want to send my child to a private school when there are plently of good free grammar schools.

If you come from a family that instilled you with good morals, compared with one that didn't instil any, which would have better opportunities in life?

Depends how much money each family earned.
If they earn roughly the same amount, then obviously the "better morals" child will have more chances in life.
But if the "no morals" child has parents rich enough to send them to a private school, then they will have more chances in life ignoring the lack of morals.

Remember, there are differing abilities between sets. They are not the solution.

I don't get that.
You are on about how grammars have entry points other than the 11+, which allow people who develop later to also have a chance there.

In reality, this is a similar idea to sets within a school. Plus it is easier to move between sets than it is to move school.
(edited 13 years ago)
Of course, but if people have the money to afford such luxuries, shouldn't they?

Education is not a luxury, it is a right. As such everyone should have equal education.

Also, sizes of class is irrelevant UNLESS all students are well-behaved and keen to learn. And the general positive working atmosphere? Good luck finding that in certain state schools. Is it a wonder why some parents end up going private?

No, it's a sensible course of action for them, what needs to be done is that the state school system needs to be improved to the point where it IS worth banning private schools.

Like I said, the state school system could be better than the private school system, if students aren't bothered, how will they be able to fulfil their full potential? People mature at different rates, and with that, there are some slackers.

Again, like I said, just because people have been brought up in a way that encourages them not to bother this doesn't mean they should be disadvantaged. The children should be encouraged by the state school system to do well and work hard and make use of their education.

Remember, many grammar schools do have entry tests at 13 and 16. Is it fair that certain students may be kept from their full potential as their school is not pushing them hard enough? Also, what if people don't realise the value of education until 19? Is it right for that individual to keep the rest behind?

I don't know what you mean by the last question.

Moving schools part way through the school age disrupts education. While those late entry times are good they're not ideal as they still promote a feeling of being "in" or "out". By my last question I mean that schools for people who don't do well in their 11+ could easily become schools for children who've already failed in education so they might as well not bother, scrape a few D GCSEs together and rehearse saying "Do you want fries with that?". This would introduce the kind of disruptiveness in pupils that already plagues the state school system from children of 15 year old chain smoking alcoholics who can't be bothered with education so ruin it for everyone.

That's the point. People with higher ability and natural potential get put into high sets, but can be moved down if they find their natural ability isn't getting them as far as it did, while those in low sets can have the support they need to understand the basics without slowing down the high-fliers and if they have a eureka moment when maths suddenly makes sense to them they can move up the sets to somewhere more suitable for their pace.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending