Fleming's left hand motor rule. Watch

This discussion is closed.
fishpaste
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
I don't get it :|

Could somebody explain it to me? Do your fingers always stay the same? Which finger goes where? How do you work out which way current should be flowing?
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by fishpaste)

Could somebody explain it to me? Do your fingers always stay the same? Which finger goes where? How do you work out which way current should be flowing?
left hand, fingers always stays the same - i cant remeber which finger is which
username9816
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

they scrapped it from the syllabus because it was crap.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Oh and this is with respect to particles going through magnetic fields.
capslock
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

When a wire carrying an electric current is moved in a magnetic field of a magnet the magnetic field induced by the wire reacts with the magnetic field of the magnet causing the wire to move outwards. Fleming's left hand rule helps you to predict the movement.

First finger - direction of magnetic field (N-S)
SeCond finger - direction of current (positive to negative)
ThuMb - movements of the wire

Hope this helps.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
(Original post by bono)
they scrapped it from the syllabus because it was crap.
It's on my AQA syllabus, for working out the direction of a magnetic field in the experiment which discovered the specific charge of an electron (forgot the name).
fishpaste
Rep:
?
(Original post by capslock)
When a wire carrying an electric current is moved in a magnetic field of a magnet the magnetic field induced by the wire reacts with the magnetic field of the magnet causing the wire to move outwards. Fleming's left hand rule helps you to predict the movement.

First finger - direction of magnetic field (N-S)
SeCond finger - direction of current (positive to negative)
ThuMb - movements of the wire

Hope this helps.
This is brilliant, but could you possibly explain how this adapts for an electron moving in a magnetic field?
boygenious
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
It's on my AQA syllabus, for working out the direction of a magnetic field in the experiment which discovered the specific charge of an electron (forgot the name).
Milikan's experiment. ahh a wonderful experiment indeed
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Oh god this is going to sound so incredibly bad for an alevel physics student, what's the current?
Nylex
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Oh god this is going to sound so incredibly bad for an alevel physics student, what's the current?
Your electrons moving in the field (as current is the rate of flow of charge, ie. electrons). When you use the left-hand rule, you're using coventional current flow though (positive to negative), rather than the direction the electrons are travelling in, which obviously will be opposite.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
That's absolutely fantastic, thank you so much.

So to clarify, if the electrons were moving from left to right, and they accelerate downwards, then the magnetic field would be going into the page and would be represented by a circle with an x in. If they were accelerating upwards, the magnetic field would be coming out of the page, and would be representing by a circle.

And for an electric field, the direction of the field is the direction in which a positively charged particle would accelerate?
boygenious
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
That's absolutely fantastic, thank you so much.

So to clarify, if the electrons were moving from left to right, and they accelerate downwards, then the magnetic field would be going into the page and would be represented by a circle with an x in. If they were accelerating upwards, the magnetic field would be coming out of the page, and would be representing by a circle.

And for an electric field, the direction of the field is the direction in which a positively charged particle would accelerate?
yeh all 3 points are correct
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Once again, cheers.

I'm all set. But if anybody feels like answering another questoin, how would you answer the question "explain what is meant by a stationary wave." [4 marks]?
hornblower
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
It's always rather amusing in physics exams to see people with both their hands doing Fleming's LHR and RHR actions at the same time. It looks like they are playing with imaginary guns!

J.
elpaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
if you've done further maths, you can always remeber that
F = q v x B
m 69 d
Report 15 years ago
and don't forget his right hand rule!
glance
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by m 69 d)
and don't forget his right hand rule!
:eek: Is your display name really true?! :eek:
m 69 d
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
if you've done further maths, you can always remeber that
F = q v x B
How does doing further maths get you that
planetzod
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Forget the stupid hand rules and just remember which way stuff goes.

That's what I do anyway
material breach
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by m 69 d)
How does doing further maths get you that
cos the bold letters are vectors and its a cross product and this thread is ancient
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (476)
66.57%
No (239)
33.43%

Watched Threads