help please!IELTS exam/conditional offer

Watch
angel13js
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hey everyone, I'm an UCAS applicant from Portugal and I would really appreciate if someone could explain this to me: before completing my UCAS application I was told that I wouldn't need to take the IELTS before the app as some universities would accept my high school english grade (For example, I emailed the Stirling University and they said they would accept this as long as I had a 18 in English in a 0 to 20 scale) and those who required the exam could ask for it after the application as an conditional offer. So the thing is, I didn't take the exam and I sent my application and now I'm worried that I was really stupid not to take it because I don't know if conditional offers only include the results of Scottish/English etc. exams or is it actually possible for me to receive a conditional offer with the condition of a passing grading (usually 6.0) in the IELTS exam?
angel13js
Rep:
?
(Original post by SonnyZH)
Even though you didn't do it/include it on your application, it is very probable that they will require you do it. I'm an international student and have British friends living outside of the UK (haven't done IGCSE's because they were in an American program) and were required to do the IELTS in their conditional offers. What other qualifications do you have?
I was worried that they would reject my application simply based on the fact that I didn't take the exam before sending the application, hopefully I'll still receive some offers even if the IELTS exam is their only condition. I have a Diploma de Secundário which is the Portuguese diplom that lists all the grades and the overall passing score that I achieved, I scored a 16 which I don't think will be a problem since all the courses I applied to required at least a 14.
angel13js
Rep:
?
I doubt they'll reject it, they might give you the offers and in the conditions include that you take the IELTS and get a certain score. However, if I were you, I'd email the universities asking them if they require it or not, if they do, just answer them back that you will take it in the next session available
Thanks! I'll do that By the way, where are you from and where are you studying?
doleful
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
don't worry, dear. if you get a conditional offer, it'll be suited for you, not for English students. most universities are familiar with exam/grade systems of European countries and they'll ask you specific grades from your pending qualifications (you must have entered this information when filling out your 'education' section on UCAS). it makes no difference if you've already taken your IELTS or not. some universities do accept national English qualifications but in most cases they ask for IELTS. the required IELTS band is usually 6.0-7.0, in most cases 6.5 though it may vary depending on the course (e.g. law and medicine usually ask for more).
when you receive your conditional offer, the conditions will be clearly explained and I believe you'll understand everything. if they ask for IELTS, it will be written there. for example my offer from Glasgow is: This offer is subject to you obtaining Brandos Atestatas including four state examinations at 90% or three state exams at 95% plus IELTS at 6 point 5 with no subset under 6.
(well, I don't really know why they included this, because I've already taken my IELTS and the results were written on the UCAS. they were probably lazy and doing copy-paste for all students from my country ;D )
angel13js
Rep:
?
(Original post by doleful)
don't worry, dear. if you get a conditional offer, it'll be suited for you, not for English students. most universities are familiar with exam/grade systems of European countries and they'll ask you specific grades from your pending qualifications (you must have entered this information when filling out your 'education' section on UCAS). it makes no difference if you've already taken your IELTS or not. some universities do accept national English qualifications but in most cases they ask for IELTS. the required IELTS band is usually 6.0-7.0, in most cases 6.5 though it may vary depending on the course (e.g. law and medicine usually ask for more).
when you receive your conditional offer, the conditions will be clearly explained and I believe you'll understand everything. if they ask for IELTS, it will be written there. for example my offer from Glasgow is: This offer is subject to you obtaining Brandos Atestatas including four state examinations at 90% or three state exams at 95% plus IELTS at 6 point 5 with no subset under 6.
(well, I don't really know why they included this, because I've already taken my IELTS and the results were written on the UCAS. they were probably lazy and doing copy-paste for all students from my country ;D )
Most likely ahah Thanks for answering, I was really starting to freak out thinking that I had completely screwed all of my chances of getting an offer! Have you already firmed any of your choices?
angel13js
Rep:
?
I'm Spanish but am currently living in Switzerland and have applied for a business/economics course in the UK. You?
I'm Portuguese and have applied for forensic psychology/criminology in Scotland.
Btw, love Spain
doleful
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by angel13js)
Most likely ahah Thanks for answering, I was really starting to freak out thinking that I had completely screwed all of my chances of getting an offer! Have you already firmed any of your choices?
no, I'm still waiting for Edinburgh and Newcastle to make a desicion :/ where have you applied, by the way? what universities and what courses?
oxymoronic
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
So the thing is, I didn't take the exam and I sent my application and now I'm worried that I was really stupid not to take it because I don't know if conditional offers only include the results of Scottish/English etc. exams or is it actually possible for me to receive a conditional offer with the condition of a passing grading (usually 6.0) in the IELTS exam?
Did you put on your UCAS application that you were taking IELTS in the future? if you did, then its perfectly reasonable that they might reply with an offer that includes your IELTS score. However, if you didn't mention anything about IELTS in your pending exams (ie: the ones you plan to take before September) then you will not get an offer that includes IELTS. If the university requires an IELTS grade they would just reject your application if you hadn't listed that you planned to take the exam before September. They can't ask you for a grade in something that as far as they know, you will not be taking.

If all of your universities have said to you that they do not require you to sit the IELTS exam then they will consider your English ability on the basis of the rest of your application.
angel13js
Rep:
?
(Original post by oxymoronic)
Did you put on your UCAS application that you were taking IELTS in the future? if you did, then its perfectly reasonable that they might reply with an offer that includes your IELTS score. However, if you didn't mention anything about IELTS in your pending exams (ie: the ones you plan to take before September) then you will not get an offer that includes IELTS. If the university requires an IELTS grade they would just reject your application if you hadn't listed that you planned to take the exam before September. They can't ask you for a grade in something that as far as they know, you will not be taking.

If all of your universities have said to you that they do not require you to sit the IELTS exam then they will consider your English ability on the basis of the rest of your application.
I didn't Should I email them and say that I'm planning on taking the exam?
oxymoronic
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I didn't Should I email them and say that I'm planning on taking the exam?
Are you planning on taking it? If you are, then yes, get them to add it to your application.

The main issue here is what your universities have actually said to you about their entry requirements for Portuguese students. You've mentioned Stirling were happy to accept your school exams, this is fine, you don't need to take IELTS for them as you know. However, did you get confirmation from all of the other universities that they will consider your application without IELTS? If you did not ask them before applying, I would recommend you look at their website and see what they say. Then, depending on what you read, you may need to arrange to take the IELTS exam then contact the universities to get them to add it to your application.

If you emailed each of your 5 universities before you applied and have confirmation from them all that you do not need it then you don't need to worry, they'll consider you without it.
doleful
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by oxymoronic)

I think you are mistaken. If they ask for IELTS, they'll write so making a conditional offer. English proficiency tests are not like school exams, where they have to take into account your taken subjects and so on, you surely do not have to inform the university which test and when you are taking. If they ask for it (and they might ask not for IELTS but for TOEFL or something else), you have to take it and have the results sent to universities before the deadline (september 1st, I believe)
angel13js
Rep:
?
(Original post by doleful)
I think you are mistaken. If they ask for IELTS, they'll write so making a conditional offer. English proficiency tests are not like school exams, where they have to take into account your taken subjects and so on, you surely do not have to inform the university which test and when you are taking. If they ask for it (and they might ask not for IELTS but for TOEFL or something else), you have to take it and have the results sent to universities before the deadline (september 1st, I believe)
I've emailed all the universities asking them whether they would automatically reject my application for not mentioning that I'll be taking the exam, hopefully I'll hear back from them soon and hopefully they won't reject me :/
Lima.Salva
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi guys.. I've got a conditional offer from the university of Manchester. I have to take the IELTS exam and achieve band 7 to meet my offer requirements.
I'm so scared of losing my offer, my exam after 9 days. Do you think if I got 6.5 or 6 they might accept me ?

If someone went through this before please tell me..
Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (19)
7.57%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (37)
14.74%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (45)
17.93%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (36)
14.34%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (67)
26.69%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
18.73%

Watched Threads