The Student Room Group

I want to support a football team :(

Scroll to see replies

Support this team

G A L A T A S A R A Y S K 1 9 0 5

Till Death do us part.
In fact, **** Rugby too.

There are only two teams worth supporting in this world. It's down to either Israel or Palestine.
Reply 62
Support Burton Town, ****ing awesome.
Reply 63
Original post by pete.mcfc
Please read the article below. It was written when MCFC were in the **** basically. Gives and insight in to what it's actually like supporing a team. It's not an easy ride. I hope all football fans can relate to it.

CITY OF LOST SOULS

To support Manchester City is to believe that God might have trouble running things on this planet, but he's in control of the next world. He has to be. The Devil rules this world and always will, because his team are Manchester United, and they are world famous and monolithic.

Manchester City, who's name travels the world about as well as Gracie Fields or Pulp, are on the side of the angels; the poor, sapped, unfortunate angels who still believe in quaint antiquated notions of earthly good. To support Manchester City is to accept with heroic willingness the dead-flat that the universe is cold and hostile, and nothing good will become of it. To support City is to tackle head on the crushing pointlessness of existence and to attempt to make something of it. It is hard work. So why do it? Because somehow this seems ultimately more dignified and fulfilling than taking the easy way out and supporting the lulling and obnoxious United.

To support United is too easy. It's convenience supporting. It makes life too easy. There is no challenge. It is a cowardly form of escapism, a sell-out to the forces of evil. United fans have no soul and will spend their eternity neck deep in boiling vomit. City fans retain their soul and will spend their eternity forever reliving the moment their team beat Newcastle 4-3 away from home to win the League Championship in 1968, beating United into second place. Surely we will have such eternal bliss again, for why do we spend so much time suffering in this life watching our team climb to the summit only so that we can watch them dive, dive, dive to their pitiless bottom of the heap while United, of Manchester, but nothing really to do with it, float every more triumphantly skywards?

Heartless United are the incarnation of shamelessness and to support them is heroism in a can. Cavalier City, however awry their football, however dire their straits, glow with something mystical and transcendental. City have soul. United do not.

When they are great again, City will have shown that they are worth their extraordinary fans. To this day these fans will walk a million miles for one of Joe Mercer's smiles. They'll sing a million songs waiting for some new Mercer-like magic. Because they are City, and Christ do they know they're born.

Paul Morley
November 1998

this this this this this
That's fair enough, you're supporting your local team.
It's the ones living in Manchester supporting a team from Trafford that wind me up.

Trafford's part of Manchester

Original post by should be revising
If you are intent on picking a team, go for your local team. Don't follow the crowd and just pick a popular Premiership club for the sake of it. You don't seem that bothered so you'll never end up going to any matches and even if you decide to, you'll end up paying £50 to go and see a team you don't really care about because you picked them out of thin air.

If you pick your local team, at least you might actually end up going one day, and chances are it'll be £5 a ticket, perfect for the casual supporter such as yourself.

Obviously by local I don't mean 'Oooh I live near Manchester so I'll support Man City!'
I mean the likes of FC United, Accrington Stanley, Droylsden and Hyde who need all the support they can get.

And altrincham of course - the closest Blue square team to where I live, and I go to school there as well. But I've always lived closer to OT :|

Oh and be a glory hunter but do this by supporting a European team :biggrin: I think La Liga's good
(edited 13 years ago)
Pick a team you have connections to, doesn't have to be your local team... although that wouldn't hurt! Eg the whole of my Dads side are Gooners from North London, Mums side are all from Manchester and follow United, i've lived in both areas and also Colchester, chose to support them as i've lived there the longest. If you insist on supporting a team, do something like that for your family and see what comes up. :smile:

Quite a lot of lower league fans will also have a soft spot for a team they have connections to (family or whatever) who play in a different league, nothing wrong with that.. as long as your allegiences are clear should the teams meet!
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by sr90

What a load of *******s that is. Watching Colchester play 'hit and hoof' under Aidy Hoofroyd last season was the most depressing experience of my life, so by your logic i should have watched Arsenal on s*y every week because their style of football is attractive to watch? Once you've chosen to support a team you stick with them no matter what..

Clearly you misunderstood what I meant. I meant watch a few teams and decide which team you enjoy watching. I did not say after you have chosen to support a team stop supporting the team when they hit a bad patch.
Original post by Genocidal
Clearly you misunderstood what I meant. I meant watch a few teams and decide which team you enjoy watching. I did not say after you have chosen to support a team stop supporting the team when they hit a bad patch.

Indeed i did. That happens far too often. :3

Now i know what you were saying, it's actually spot on. Post edited accordingly.
Original post by ChaoticSkills
Support this team

G A L A T A S A R A Y S K 1 9 0 5

Till Death do us part.

ol yesyesyesyesyes I used to be mad fan of this team( as my whole supported it)
unti my enemy supported it too >.<
for some reason everysingle -person i hate turns out to be a "cimbom" fan :'(
so now I'm neutral :'(
Reply 69
Support.. LA Galaxy.
Reply 70
You dont really pick a team, it depends on your family unless your a glory hunter;

Like my dad/grandad are sunderland fans so what choice did i have?
Original post by Dec S 92
You dont really pick a team, it depends on your family unless your a glory hunter;

Like my dad/grandad are sunderland fans so what choice did i have?

And the people whose family don't support a team or they're immigrants? They're all glory hunters now?
Ye local team. Its good to have a favourite team in the premiership too, if this isn't your local team, as the premiership games are shown in all the pubs. I've been a Villa fan since birth and luckily they have always been in the Premiership :biggrin:
DON'T be a glory hunter. They annoy me.
Reply 74
Original post by HotCookieDough
I've got into Football more seriously since high school days and I love it! :biggrin:

I used to watch every single Match of the Day in Year 7, 8, 9, 10 but then I stopped for a while.

Now though i'm back and missed it so much!

Arsenal :arsenal: all the way :woo:

Hardly "supporting" your team is it. Your a follower.
Original post by AlexJones7
Hardly "supporting" your team is it. Your a follower.

...and today I just signed up for a season ticket. Hardly supporting, right? :facepalm2:
Reply 76
Choose the team that attracts you.

I chose my team years ago when i was about 7 because they stood out to me and my fave footballer was one of their players so i stuck by them and have supported them ever since and go to watch them regularly.
Reply 77
Original post by dnumberwang
And the people whose family don't support a team or they're immigrants? They're all glory hunters now?

if they are immigrints support a team where they come from, most countries have a leauge........
Reply 78
Original post by dnumberwang
Trafford's part of Manchester

It's not, it's a part of Grater Manchester. If Trafford is part of Manchester then so is Wigan, obviously neither are.

It's not, it's a part of Grater Manchester. If Trafford is part of Manchester then so is Wigan, obviously neither are.

Come on, when have you seen a city that shape? It's just lines in the sand and it means bugger all. It's better to luck at the urban area. Which doesn't include wigan, which is not part of Manchester. It's like saying Islington isn't part of London.

Spoiler

Original post by Dec S 92
if they are immigrints support a team where they come from, most countries have a leauge........

What about second generation immigrants then? If you're Indian and you're not supporting a team like Dempo SC does that make you a glory hunter?
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending