Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am currently working as a trainee quantity surveyor, it's ok at times and extremely boring at other times whilst ocasionally being hard and stressful.

It doesn't help that I'm suppose to be at uni from 11:30am to 08:30pm at night (every Tuesday) and I don't find it very interesting. I also find it hard to concentrate after 6pm so feel I'm wasting my time.

As I am currently getting paid to work and my employer is paying for my university fees I feel that I may as well stay because of the money.

However I'm fairly certain I don't want to do the job once I am qualified.

If I get a degree in 'Quantity Surveying & Commercial Management' do you think I will find it easy to get a job unrelated to Quantity Surveying. i.e. If I were to quit now and go to uni full time to do a non- job specific degree after I completed it I would I be in the same position after I left uni or would I be in a better one or a worse one?

Hope you can understand that, any help much appreciated

EDIT: What do you think I should do?

ReputationRep:
    well my mums friends daughter has just graduated from edinburgh with a degree in marine archeology and an extra thing in chinese and shes now working in edinburgh as a victim support person. so in answer to ur question. yeh

i just reread what u wrote and realised what i wrote had nothing to do with that. whoops..... hides behind the chair

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    You definitely can. Only half of all Civil Engineering graduates (a very vocational degree) go on to work in Engineering. It's all about transferable skills.

ReputationRep:
    You'll have no problem getting a job with a professional degree like the one you're doing; my dad trained as a quantity surveyor, but worked for the GLC for quite a few years in a management role. Of course, he's now a quantity surveyor again.

ReputationRep:
    Okies thanks I'm still not certain I will carry on with the degree/ training, but at least I know my qualification can be used to gain a job in a different sector.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.