Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I dropped out of uni at the beginning of October. I decided to take a few weeks to rest and get used to being at home again and sort out various things. I had enough money and basically wasnt that bothered about getting a job.

Then a few weeks ago my parents kept telling me I had to 'sign on' to protect my national insurance 'stamp'. I had no idea what they were on about so I went anyway, and I made a claim for benefit (even though I dont want it!). I was told I probably wouldnt get any because of my student loan which was fair enough.

I have found the jobcentre useless anyway, where Im from the only jobs are admin or factory and they all need some type of experience, or the posts which are promising are all with agencies so I have to register just to get details about the job.

So, if I hear that Im not getting benefit can I 'cut ties' with them? They make you go every two weeks and keep a record of your job hunt to prove you are looking, but I dont see the point if I wont receive anything.

Also, Im just curious was it necessary for me to go in the first place? I was quite happy resting up and looking for a job in my own time..

ReputationRep:
    I am on the dole, but I am am setting up my own business and keeping myself very busy.

I simply cannot afford not to be on the dole at the moment, the job thing is easy I just tell them what jobs I have applied for and thats that.

There are many other places you can look for jobs other than agencies/job centre.

The problem is employers are going to want to know why you dropped out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AT82)
    I am on the dole, but I am am setting up my own business and keeping myself very busy.

I simply cannot afford not to be on the dole at the moment, the job thing is easy I just tell them what jobs I have applied for and thats that.

There are many other places you can look for jobs other than agencies/job centre.

The problem is employers are going to want to know why you dropped out.
    I dont technically have to tell them I left

ReputationRep:
    How about you both pull your weight in society?

ReputationRep:
    have found the jobcentre useless anyway
    totally agree with you they gave me information on jobs theres no chance in hell i would even be considered for

ive been for so many interviews so many rejections and disapointments and now im fed up im still looking for work as best as i can but i have had no choice but to sign on, i was ging to leave it a couple of weeks ill end up in court soon about a bill not been paid, im so annoyed they couldn;t actully help me find work as you say useless

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laursy)
    totally agree with you they gave me information on jobs theres no chance in hell i would even be considered for

ive been for so many interviews so many rejections and disapointments and now im fed up im still looking for work as best as i can but i have had no choice but to sign on, i was ging to leave it a couple of weeks ill end up in court soon about a bill not been paid, im so annoyed they couldn;t actully help me find work as you say useless
    It doesn't matter anyway unless your job centre is awkward to get to,
    Just be happy with receiving the money until you find a job.
    the job centre is useless and that anyway so you could easily be on it for months without them getting you a good job

ReputationRep:
    is it just me who finds it a little ironic that this is in the "careers" sections

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elipsis)
    Wow you're an idiot.

One of them said he was setting up his own business.

The other is in the process of searching for a job.

It's not like they are chavs with 16 kids by the age of 25, refusing to work and scrounging off benefits.

ReputationRep:
    It's not like they are chavs with 16 kids by the age of 25, refusing to work and scrounging off benefits
    no way what a life that would be

ive had rejection after rejection for all kinds of jobs and its a case or applying for everything i see,
    in other towns and stuff
    now my brother is another story he hasn;t even bothered to look for a job had no reason to leave his last job,

it was my last resort before i ended up in big trouble, i am not gettintehmoney its going straight on starting to pay off debts!!

i would love to work, i reliase how much i love working and what i do best, but thats not the point when none will give me a job

ReputationRep:
    How am i an idiot, im 17 and i have 2 jobs and i am also in full time college. The jobs are their if your look hard enough. Why should i work for somebody else to set up a business? Why should i work to pay for people to live that arn't my family?

ReputationRep:
    How am i an idiot, im 17 and i have 2 jobs and i am also in full time college. The jobs are their if your look hard enough. Why should i work for somebody else to set up a business? Why should i work to pay for people to live that arn't my family?
    In that case,why the hell should people fund your college education if you have 2 jobs?

It is difficult to get a job these days. And one day that person's business could be of a benefit to you...and if not it will most certainly be of benefit to society.

And you say why should you work to pay for other people...in that case why should older people's taxes fund state education?Why should younger people's taxes fund pensions? Why should people who are not ill have to pay National Insurance?

ReputationRep:
    Its a loophole that is costing the benifit system 2bn per year, our country has the lowest unemployment rate in the EU their quite simply is no excuse. The government for funding my education gets the pleasure of having me in a highly paid job in the higher band of taxing so they can pay for even more people to live for free. The benifits system is a circle: you pay for the ill - you become ill the well pay for you, people pay for you to go to school - you pay for their childeren to go to school, you pay for old peoples pensions when you are younger - young people pay for your pension when your older, then comes the break of the circle you pay for people to live for free, where is the pay back?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, that is fair enough in the case of idiots who abuse the benefits system.But these people aren't, in my view.

They are both aiming towards being able to earn some money in order to pay taxes etc etc so in their case, the benefits system could be viewed in the same way as someone paying for your college education could-as a stepping stone towards being able to earn some money. Without it I'd imagine they'd be out on the streets, completely unable to get a job and that's of no benefit to society whatsoever!

ReputationRep:
    Im sure they would find a job faster without the safety net, If you are able bodied and hard working i cant see how it would be so hard, 3 months tops to get a job perhaps?

ReputationRep:
    3 months tops to get a job perhaps?
    ive tried all sorts been for over 15-20 interviews 3/4 of the shops in my town and some in other towns and i have been out of work snce aprill

and its not that easy to find work!! its the longest i have been unemployed like i say there is nothing i want more then to have a job none seems to want to employ me, i have no idea why i have a clear criminal record have qualifications and retail experiance and i am respectable and polite!! no such luck for me im afraid!!

ReputationRep:
    Then i am sorry for you, but im afraid that people the truth of the matter is that alot of bad people are ruining it for you.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly, the topic starter doesn't even want to be claiming the allowance- her parents have made her.

I know one girl who is at uni...her parents support her but during the holidays they make her get a job,so she signs on,every summer. That, I think,is out of order.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the neg rep btw, ill return the favour tommorow .

ReputationRep:
    That's quite alright

ReputationRep:
    Im gonna give you a reason for making that comment. I wont bother gettin a job instead I'll sit at home and scrounge off of your wages for a few months :cool: you are one stupid [swear word] mate

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.