The Student Room Group

some advice please?

I'm not sure how to phrase this, but anyways. I've heard that Universities don't like applicants for law to have the law A level, and likewise with psychology. My question is does this logic also apply with government and politics? Would an A level in politics impede my application for (History and) Politics in any way? Also, what do people think of switching to Politics (from Philosophy) so late in the year? The teacher said it would be possible, but I'd like to hear your views. Thankyou.
Switching in mid-November.... well yeah, it's possible, definitely. But it will require a hell of a lot of copying out, asking around for sheets you've missed, and making sure that you're understanding what's going on.

It would mean a lot of work over the next few weekends... since you'll only really be able to keep up in lessons if you can catch up soon, so you can't leave it until the holidays.

It really depends how hard working you are. I'm hard working and COULD do it, but I really wouldn't like to try. I'd avoid it if you can.

I've heard of law not liking people to have done it for A2, firstly I haven't heard of that in other subjects.... I don't know what the reason for this is, or how much truth there is to it, but you will be able to get into unis for them if you take it. Somebody at college does law A2 and is applying for law and has 5 offers already, the other uni hasn't made their decision...

This will be especially the case for you since you're doing combined, not even pure politics. I wouldn't worry about it.
I agree with tis me lord; it would be possible to switch from philosophy to politics, but you'd have a hell of a lot of catching up to do and it would be a lot of work, so unless you really hate philosophy, I'd stick with that. As far as I know, politics is a reasonably well respected subject and it wouldn't harm your application at all.
Reply 3
Id say stick it out. Unis will NOT be against anyone for having the law A level. Seriously, people are just scare mongering. Loads and loads of people get into top unis to do law wth A level law. I didnt do it myself, but if id had the chance i would have done, and i assume id have the same offers. Same goes for Politics... they wil NOT be against you for having that A level... especially if you do well. So ignore the scare mongerers and dont apply to LSE (theyre the only one ive found with an "excluded subjects lis")
Reply 4
Ive never heard this of Psychology, If anything doing the A-Level I have learned is a godsend for most of your first year modules.. Going to make it alot easier.

I dont think politics A-Level will at all harm your app, I know people within my politics option with Politcs A-Level and I presume this didnt hinder there application. As said before if you change you will have to be prepared to work to make up the time you have lost, and with the mid terms and exams its really down to wether you feel you can cover it all in time.
(If it makes you feel better thou At My Uni Half of my 'Introduction to Political Theory' Is all Philosphers ayway.. Plato, Aristole, Hobbes Locke etc.. All going over my head!)
Reply 5
I heard from an Admissions Tutor that Psychology was advised, although not expected. That's in IB though....I don't know if it's different.

Latest

Trending

Trending