Kareir
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It's honestly not that bad. The course is quite intense in places, but if you have a good teacher, do the work and pay attention, you should be ok. Provided of course that you like the subject and have a bit of an aptitude for it.

do you have to be a maths genius? I don't know. The past paper questions are tricky, but definitely do-able, and they get easier after some practice. The internal assessments are quite challenging in places, but once again, do-able.

Just as a side note, in 2nd year (I'm irish, so doesn't match your system... year 8?) I got an E in maths. Currently predicted a 6. And just about got it in my mocks. It's just a matter of enjoying the subject and putting the work in. Oh, and I know people who just learn maths by heart (e.g. do this, then do this, then you get the answer). Doesn't really work. You need to understand why you're doing the method, and what different processes do (e.g. cross-product of a vector giving another vector that is perpendicular to both) and then the exam questions are easier.

Sorry for rambling
_Kar.

Source: IB maths HL exam this may.
Advertisement
Bjoorn
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(sorry if i'm repeating something someone else has said, havent read through all the posts)

i took higher maths and had to do about 40% of the syllabus self-taught, including most of the option topic and missed a 6 by a few marks. basically it isnt that scary IF you're willing to never let a problem just slip away or 'leave it till later' and then never come back to it. you always have to make sure you're ok with every single detail and ask teachers for help if needed. dont do any past papers untill last year and try to study for your mocks and end of chapter tests like you would for the actual exams (yes, that rigorously, cos only then will you really identify your weaknesses and thus work on them). i'd recommend you'd spend about 20-30min a day/every two days to begin with, excluding homework and also tackle the hardest example you can find if you think you're confident with the concept. as the ib progresses and you cover more and more of the syllabus, gradually increase the time you spend on it to what you think is necessary.

anyways, good luck and if you need help with anything maths related dont hesitate to ask

(ofc i was no ideal student but if you follow the instructions you should be able to get a 7 relatively easily, just comes down to your interest in maths really)
chickfilla
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I 'd say difficult.

My exams are a month away and I'm already planning on retaking the Math papers in November.
Advertisement
emmatay03
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by dstandish)
It is hard! TBH there is no way you want to be doing 4 HL subjects... I got 8 A* at GCSE's and Im finding IB a tough work load with maths french and economics HL....I like maths im finidng it OK... but if you find parts of IGCSE hard you will really struggle...youre IGCSE stuff needs to be SOLID if youre going to get HL maths. Loads of the people at my school have dropped from SL to maths studies. Its fast paced...I understand most of what were doing in class...but if you forget it then its too late next lesson new topic!

Good luck
IGCSE extended/international/additional??? (needs to be solid)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (422)
67.41%
No (204)
32.59%

Watched Threads