This discussion is closed.
Tnacilppa
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Hi,

I am going to re-apply to Cambridge for English. But I am also going to make sure I have a better contingency plan this time!

Basically I was wondering which universities are considered to be the BEST for English. I don't mean the obvious choices like Duhram, York etc. For example, at Sheffield history is very good under Ian Kershaw but it is not considered one of the "top" unis otherwise.

Perhaps this is an artificial distinction I am drawing...?

I want to go into teaching English, either as a lecturer or getting a professorship etc. So even if I don't study at Cambridge as an undergrad I will probably apply for an MPhil or PhD there later. This is why I want to focus on a good department rather than just a good "all round" university.

Any info from people who know about this kind of thing would be great.

Thanks,

Adam
J.S.
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tnacilppa)
Hi,

I am going to re-apply to Cambridge for English. But I am also going to make sure I have a better contingency plan this time!

Basically I was wondering which universities are considered to be the BEST for English. I don't mean the obvious choices like Duhram, York etc. For example, at Sheffield history is very good under Ian Kershaw but it is not considered one of the "top" unis otherwise.

Perhaps this is an artificial distinction I am drawing...?

I want to go into teaching English, either as a lecturer or getting a professorship etc. So even if I don't study at Cambridge as an undergrad I will probably apply for an MPhil or PhD there later. This is why I want to focus on a good department rather than just a good "all round" university.

Any info from people who know about this kind of thing would be great.

Thanks,

Adam
In all honesty, the good departments are at the so called 'all round' universities. I know from a friend who studied Eng. at Oxford that UCL is very highly regarded. A first from UCL in Eng. and you're certain to get into the MPhil. Also, the other 'obvious' candidates, some of which you've named, the rest of which you know.

Do not go for a Eng. department that has only good RAE/QAA scores however is based at a univ. that's not too well known. It sounds good in theory, i.e. trying to go for quality and being broadminded in doing so, however, it doesn't work. See, the thing is, these 'quality' but less famous places typically have a low A level a/v points scores. When a university has a low A level a/v points score, there's always the feeling that the work there has to be made easier to accommodate those who couldn't even 'hack it' A level.
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
http://education.guardian.co.uk/high...420992,00.html
J.S.
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

Wouldn't bother with these subjective ratings, just look at the average A level score at the dept. You can get this from the Times. After all, surely there must be a good reason for straight A students to be concentrated at a particular department.
Vitriol
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I've always considered The Guardian's ratings to be crap anyway. :P
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by J.S.)
Wouldn't bother with these subjective ratings, just look at the average A level score at the dept. You can get this from the Times. After all, surely there must be a good reason for straight A students to be concentrated at a particular department.
I disagree it depends what you want from your course. If you are headed for a career in acadaemia then by all means check the A Level stats if not you need to look for other factors. I linked to that table cos it allows you to find your own top choices by clicking on whatever factor is most important to you. I agree Sunday Times League table is better than Guardian but it isnt as flexible.
J.S.
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by viviki)
I disagree it depends what you want from your course. If you are headed for a career in acadaemia then by all means check the A Level stats if not you need to look for other factors. I linked to that table cos it allows you to find your own top choices by clicking on whatever factor is most important to you. I agree Sunday Times League table is better than Guardian but it isnt as flexible.

Yeah, I see what you're saying, but I had the post addressed specifically to the person aspiring to get onto the Oxbridge MPhil/Doctorate.
Tnacilppa
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Thanks for all the help! I will choose more carefully on my section 3 for my re-application

Adam
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (533)
66.71%
No (266)
33.29%

Watched Threads