Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    We were discussing religion and violence today in class, and inevitably Northern Ireland was raised. Someone postulated that it was religiously motivated; I immediately disagreed, arguing that it"s a political conflict, over land and rights. It just so happens that the division falls on sectarian lines.

I thought the same of the Israel-Palestine conflict. Surely this is a battle over historical rights to an area land, a political issue? It's only linked to religion in that the division is along the lines of two different religions.

Again, and perhaps more clearly, one could use the Algerian war as an example. It wasn't a war of Muslims against Catholics, but Algerians against the French.

By contrast, I'd say the crusades, and more recently the conflict in the Balkans, were religious wars.

So, where do we draw the line between religious and political conflict?

ReputationRep:
    The two seem to be very interwoven. Men try to find as many justifications as possible for conflict and it is only inevitable that when so many reasons are found from so many areas that it will become impossible to tell whether a conflict is political or religious.

ReputationRep:
    The Israel-"palestinian" conflict becomes a religious conflict when palestinian terrorists start murdering Jews and Israelis around the world, simply for being of a particular religion.

ReputationRep:
    NI began as a religious conflict and has also, inevitably in my view, consumed politics into the mix too. today it is a mix of both rather than one or the other.

ReputationRep:
    Ireland was split as it was predominantly along religious lines (though there were other factors).

ReputationRep:
    Northern Ireland belongs to Ireland, not England. We, the UK, are illegally holding it. Its natural place as part of the Irish Republic can be seen on a map, which clearly shows it is part of Ireland.

On the issue, a religious conflict can take that nature due to a host of reasons. Many people on this world dont believe in Nationalism, we are not nationalists, thus they may define themselves in terms which may force them to take sides due to other factors. Historic and cultural for instance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by legbreakgoogly)
    Northern Ireland belongs to Ireland, not England. We, the UK, are illegally holding it. Its natural place as part of the Irish Republic can be seen on a map, which clearly shows it is part of Ireland.
    Can we not hijack this into an NI or Israel Palestine debate. I will lock the thread if it happens.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JonathanH)
    The Israel-"palestinian" conflict becomes a religious conflict when palestinian terrorists start murdering Jews and Israelis around the world, simply for being of a particular religion.
    Will you lock the thread because of this, then?

ReputationRep:
    Course not. Censorship only applies to us. Not the "chosen people".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ayaan)
    Will you lock the thread because of this, then?
    If it persists then yes. I want politics, not polemic.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.