Turn on thread page Beta

Noises when i apply my breaks watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Everytime i apply my brakes i get a Creaking noise. Not the noise ( Ithink ) of when the pads are wornn but i think its because my brake pads are dirty but dont know how to clean them properly. Does anyone have any ideas how to solve the problem. I know it may be dificult as you cannot hear it but any ideas are appreciated. Would removing each wheel and cleaning the inside help or is that a waste of time because on my way to uni i drive donw tthe lanes everyday, which are muddy. I do clean my wheels from the outside using autoglym wheel cleaner everytim ei wash my car but it just dont seem to help.
    Any ideas??

ReputationRep:
    Braking will clean your discs as the forces involved are enough to scrape your breaks clean. If you can reach through your wheel and touch the break discs (I'm assuming your talking about the front here) feel if they are full of ridges and generally if they are in good condition (don't do this when youve just been using them as they could be hot).

had similar problem with mine. replaced front brake pads (1 was actually cracked so both were replaced). noise is still there but not as bad most of the time. they have been cleaned up a few times but nothin so ive just left it.

also, have you added roof bars lately? (had strange noise what every1 said was comin from front passenger wheel when doin over 50MPH. then i had to remove bars for car wash. and the noise went... turns out it was the slots underneath i couldnt be arsed to cut the cover for

ReputationRep:
    no i havent got roof bars it thought it may be because dirt was i the break pads. I just had my car MOT'd so i hope i dont need new break pads (apparantly it sailed through it)

ReputationRep:
    To clean the brake (it isn't break as you haven't broken anything) pads. Do an emergency stop several times and that will do the trick and no I don't mean pootle along at 30 and press the brakes. I mean do a proper emergency stop. Obviously make sure there is nothing behind you at the time.

Doubt the noise it is making is down to glaze/dirt on the pads. Also depends on what car it is as well, as some cars creak all the time when you press the brake pedal regardless of if it is a brand new brake setup or not.

ReputationRep:
    Creaks on brakes can just be due to the temperature/humidity of the disks and pads. But its worth checking them

ReputationRep:
    I have just had it checked at a garage and both my rear brake cylinders were leaking badly :confused: Is this a common problem? I have now got them replaced and will try the car out tomorrow and see if that improves anything.

ReputationRep:
    Yep its a very coomon problem it happened on my dads, it costs £300 to fix including near bearings, new discs and master cylinders.

ReputationRep:
    Drum brakes are a nightmare for squeaks/groans - you often get the shoes rubbing on the back plate giving a variety of annoying noises. If you're having the wheel cylinders replaced, they will have to dismantle the shoes and will probably grease the points where they touch the backplate which may well sort the problem. I don't think the wheel cylinders are the cause of the noise, but it's lucky the leak got spotted. MOT man should definately have noticed this.

If your car is old the pins which the front calipers slide on can become rusty and cause noises, but more often than not you notice the caliper starts sticking before any noise appears.

ReputationRep:
    My car brakes make a squeeking noise when I press them, I was told it can be due to the weather and if the road is wet or dry?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: December 14, 2005
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.